Author Topic: William ELGAR in Castle Street Holborn in the 1820s  (Read 516 times)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William ELGAR in Castle Street Holborn in the 1820s
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 01:21 BST (UK) »
From the 1830 Land Tax Records on Ancestry there is a widow Elgar in Castle St, Holborn.

Ian C

I don't find this transaction when I search starting with Harriet Elgar.  Clearly I need a better understanding of the data available.  More work is needed.

Her name was not mentioned, just Widow Elgar. There were other widows on the same page. I found it by searching for William, it was on the second page I think.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HarryBob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William ELGAR in Castle Street Holborn in the 1820s
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 06:11 BST (UK) »
From the 1830 Land Tax Records on Ancestry there is a widow Elgar in Castle St, Holborn.

Ian C

I don't find this transaction when I search starting with Harriet Elgar.  Clearly I need a better understanding of the data available.  More work is needed.

Her name was not mentioned, just Widow Elgar. There were other widows on the same page. I found it by searching for William, it was on the second page I think.

Ian C

I found what you mentioned regarding the Widow Elgar, and more to boot.

First: William appears to have been in Castle-street from 1821.  There are entries for him for each year from 1821 to 1827.  Farringdon Without, is used for most of the entries.

Second: Widow Elgar is there in 1828, 1829 & 1830.  The first two are marked Farringdon Without, the last St Andrew Holborn.

The 1830 entry for Widow Elgar has the added comment 'Empty 4/4'.  [Guess: That was when Harriet Elgar and her children left that address.]

(Now to speculate.) 
The line above Harriet's 1830 entry, is for a Elizth Smith.  It also notes that the flat(?) was 'Empty 4/4'.
According to the data, Elizabeth Smith had been living next door to the Elgar family from 1823.

Harriet Elgar's father John Smith, Surgeon, died in Aylesford in 1820.  His wife's name was Elizabeth (from his Will).  Could the lady who lived next door to the Elgar family in Castle-street, for 6 years, be Harriet's mother?  I've not yet nailed down Elizabeth Smith's death.  A challenging name to chase.

(Where to next?) 
I've found Harriet and her 3 daughters on the 1841 Census living at Portsea Town, Hampshire, with her sister Jane and her husband John Wheeler.  I need to see if I can determine when Harriet, her daughters (and her mother ?), moved to Portsea.

And there is still the matter of the children's education.  Their stories in the years that follow, are driving my questions.

Bob