Author Topic: Diary - Monday 7th September  (Read 641 times)

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Monday 7th September
« on: Tuesday 08 September 20 08:28 BST (UK) »
I can't believe no one has posted a diary for Monday.... now yesterday! Is it I wonder because we're becoming disheartened, finding it hard.... or ????

I was too tired to write last night as I'd had a dreadful nights sleep, the moon was very bright and shone like a headlight and I found it difficult to sleep as it's glow was seeping round the edges of the blinds ... so when I eventually got to sleep at some time gone 3.30am I wasn't too happy to hear my phoning dinging at 8am although on silent!
It was a message to meet and hand over the face coverings at 9.30am....
By the time I'd got up and ready I didn't have time for a cuppa or breakfast... as it's only less than 10 mins down the road I'd do that when I returned....
S was running late so I waited for about 15 mins! She said in the last 48hrs she's handed out over 200 as people were panicking about kids having to wear them at school... the parents had only received communication on Friday! So more material given to me... dark colours ☹️Hate sewing black so hard on the eyes! But they're needed so will just get on with it...
By the time I got home I was spitting feathers and glad of a cuppa and some breakfast...
I truely don't remember what I did for the rest of the morning..... how frightening is that...
After lunch we either had a game of scrabble first then OH went into the garden or the other way around.... I lost I do know that!
Daughter FaceTimed us with youngest grandson who doesn't start school till Monday next week...
Had a lovely chat with them and heard all about their hol in Wales...
what did you like best I asked him...
The train up Snowdon and the pond in the cottage garden where they stayed...why... lots of ducks on it!
Daughter and I trying to find nice place to stay for .OH's birthday... found one in Dorset so got it on hold for 48 hrs while we decide... there are two cottages so might try and persuade SiL to take that one with our niece ... but quite expensive for a w/end..
Oh yes ... heard this morning neice got engaged ( her birthday)to her SA boyfriend while they're in Sardinia on holiday so delighted for them... thought she might never get married! She's getting on a bit..
I digress,... we could celebrate their engagement too if they take other cottage..
Very handy too as they provide a private chef so could have lovely meal in the cottage to celebrate and not have to worry about finding a place in a town we don't know and better for the boys too... sounds a promising idea...
The rest of the day passes in a blur really
Dinner, tv and bed...
Sum total of the day.... not very much!

Hope others was more inspiring
Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Monday 7th September
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 10:03 BST (UK) »
I was too tired to post last night too Caroline, although not for any particular reason. Also feeling that my posts are hardly inspirational, same old same old. Well done on getting the face masks delivered, don't know how you dragged yourself out. The cottages in Dorset sound lovely, hope you get them booked.

My day :

Woke quite early and it was raining, fell asleep again and when I woke the second time it was much brighter. Had decided to go to the beach for a walk about midday, low tide at 1.30. I'd checked the forecast earlier and had another look, this time it said 80% chance of heavy rain. Decided to wait till after lunch when it was forecast clear. The rain didn't arrive apart from about three drops.
Arranged with my friend L to go out for lunch on Thursday, now that I've taken the plunge.

The tide was right out when I got down to the beach, the sand was smooth and all that seaweed had gone. Not many people down there, just how I like it. It was breezy, the Sandpipers were running in and out of the sea. Walked to the outskirts of the next town, the wind was against me on the way back, certainly blew the cobwebs away. Best bit of my day.

Back home, had a cuppa and did some more painting, not working out as intended,have come to the conclusion I'll have to have a rethink. 

Curry for tea. The paperback I ordered hasn't arrived yet, supposedly dispatched 31st August. Think they're telling porkies, the Royal Mail doesn't take that long. Will stick to ones from World of Books in future, they're much quicker.

Hope we hear from others this morning.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 20:42 BST (UK) »
Late report for Monday.   Woken early by door bell - Hermes delivery - but went back to bed and then about an hour later door bell went again, this time delivery from Royal Mail.  Stayed up this time and, again, about another hour later, door bell goes again and this time it's the postman.   Was dreaming when I'd first been woken up and, on reflection, was glad I'd been woken because was getting annoyed by others actions and was getting quite fraught.   

Felt quite weary for most of the day (effects of Saturday's gardening) and didn't do much of anything I'm ashamed to say apart from nodding off for a while on the sofa.   Felt much brighter when I woke up.

Cumberland Pie for dinner and then just watched tv, did some sudoku, and more knitting.

Such an exciting life (not) when you are not going anywhere or seeing people.   Today it's a friends birthday and my sister and I are joining her for afternoon tea in a small establishment I've not been to before in a village just out of town so something to look forward to.

Take care. 

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 21:04 BST (UK) »
Annette, I think that sometimes it's good to just have a day without feeling like you have to be getting on with things. It sounds like you overdid things a bit with the gardening, maybe you need to spread it out a bit more. Hope you've enjoyed your afternoon tea today.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 21:50 BST (UK) »
I will join the club. Monday was a day I can easily forget.
Didn't wake up till 9am. By the time I had done all I needed it was nearly midday.
Did a bit of work on my tree, brought 5 birth and 5 death PDFs and 2 wills.
Watched 6pm news to find out the UK have a spike in cases. The highest since May. Watched a bit of T.V. and had an early night.

Stay safe
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
After reading your posts I would say it is the change of seasons.
My Hayfever is back so that's not helping.
Hopefully, Tuesday was a better day.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 22:06 BST (UK) »
Not great news from here Carol re the spike in cases, some people are saying it's the start of the second wave. Hope things are still good in NZ.
Hayfever can be so miserable, I used to suffer really badly when I was a child, not too bad now. Have you tried smearing a bit of Vaseline just inside your nostrils? It stops the pollen being breathed in so much. Never liked taking antihistamines.   
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 23:09 BST (UK) »
I am getting mixed up with the days ,I posted yesterday but of course it was Sunday’s diary I answered .
Had a busy day again today , and Bolton is in lockdown again .
I do feel better fir getting on top of a few things .
Very warm but damp and muggy .
Shocking details from Manchester  Arena bombing.
Such negligence and lack of security ,only one ambulance for an hour!
Nearby Police at Victoria Station who were supposed to police the Arena
did not know there was a concert !
The bomber pacing up,and down ,questioned by a member of the public as
they were suspicious about his very large back pack ,reported to  the Police  but nothing done .
How distressing for the families .
Only one Paramedic for 40 minutes !

My lovely son in law phoned to ask me to go to them in Suffolk for Christmas
I don’t like to leave my son in Bolton as he does so much for me, but I was up here last Christmas and so perhaps ought to go to them as at a push I can see second son too and of course Flash Harry is a big attraction !
All will depend on this blooming virus!

New restrictions on numbers gathering again.

Collecting some good fat seeds from the nasturtiums now ,
Have lots and lots of Aquiligia,neighbour gave some from her oriental poppies. I have some from the plant that looks like dog roses  but the rose hips are very large and decorative .
Everlasting sweet peas are seeding now too.i also collected the seeds from
Alliums but need to find out the next step from seeds to bulbs.

Tomorrow I must do the shed next to the kitchen door ,a good tidy, get rid if any dried up  tins of paint etc.Need a dry day so much stuff!
It is like the Tardis
You would not believe how much is in  that  shed!
Then the kitchen will need a good doing , I am thinking of having an extension to the base units to make more of a barrier between the kitchen and dining area .
I can’t get used to seeing the sink on Christmas Day when the table is set with candies table decoration ,best glasses and cutlery etc .
Well off to put the kettle on folks.
Hope you hall have a good day tomorrow.
Viktoria.
Well a cuppa ,Morse and then bed.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 September 20 23:37 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, I haven't read the reports about the Manchester Arena but that truly is shocking. Absolutely heartbreaking for all, particularly as there were so many children and teenagers attending.

I'm sure your son in Bolton will just want you to enjoy Christmas wherever you spend it. Let's hope that things are easier by then and you can travel without any problems.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham