Author Topic: Help with beginners brick wall: Finding Thomas Jackson  (Read 2610 times)

Offline chrisruthsmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with beginners brick wall: Finding Thomas Jackson
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 12 September 20 15:20 BST (UK) »
Heywood also found

1901 3747/16/4
shows Thomas Jackson 25 yrs, a General Labourer b Manchester in lodgings in London Road so not  too far away from Mill Street but of course no parents.

but the Thomas Jackson above would be 26 when married not the 23 as shown on the certificate. Does this mean that he is counted out?

-I've found a Thos Jackson listed as a visitor to an address on Mill St. 1901 3747/62/9  Mill St is the address given on the marriage certificate so  that ties in. However his age is 27 - I wondered if this could be a typo and it could be 22. Hence he would be 23 when getting married

Jackson
Leigh
Brown
Bell

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 12 September 20 16:13 BST (UK) »
Re 1939 Register

We can rule out that Thomas was at 13 Wrigley Crescent, Failsworth with his daughter Edna and Irene.  The eldest surviving daughter Edith (who's was listed as Head) was redacted on Ancestry but not in Find my Past.

How strange.

I looked at F M P to check if it differed from Ancestry, and my version has the head of household closed.

Makes more sense that it is Edith.  Pity.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 12 September 20 16:20 BST (UK) »
Edith is not showing on the image - but she is showing on the transcription, and Edna has been missed from the transcription.  On F M P.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 12 September 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
Heywood also found

1901 3747/16/4
shows Thomas Jackson 25 yrs, a General Labourer b Manchester in lodgings in London Road so not  too far away from Mill Street but of course no parents.

but the Thomas Jackson above would be 26 when married not the 23 as shown on the certificate. Does this mean that he is counted out?

-I've found a Thos Jackson listed as a visitor to an address on Mill St. 1901 3747/62/9  Mill St is the address given on the marriage certificate so  that ties in. However his age is 27 - I wondered if this could be a typo and it could be 22. Hence he would be 23 when getting married

The age on the image is clear as 27, so if a typo it is earlier in the recording process, and as there is a long list of lodgings inhabitants it could have happened then.  He is recorded as Thomas - am I looking at the wrong one?  A coal carter from Manchester.

Offline chrisruthsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 12 September 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
Thats the one I was looking at
Jackson
Leigh
Brown
Bell

Offline chrisruthsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 12 September 20 18:48 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to narrow eliminate some of the possible Thomas Jacksons that have been indentified.  Heywood found a Thomas Jackson in prison in 1911 and I wondered if there would be a related record that could help me find their birth date. I'm looking in FindMyPast England & Wales, Crime Prisons & Punishments 1770 -1935 records but can't find a Thomas Jackson that matches.
Jackson
Leigh
Brown
Bell

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 12 September 20 19:50 BST (UK) »
There are such a lot of difficulties here:
Ages often differed and I would think that if people were in lodgings and the householder gave an age it might not be reliable.
The Thomases we have looked at are in the same general area - Ancoats, Ardwick etc.

With regard to Thomas,27 yrs  Coal Carter, there is a 1911 Thomas, 36 yrs, Carter here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XW1W-BSL

and 1891 3194/149
has the Thomas H Jackson with mother Ellen. He is a Carter's boy. (I think he has been mentioned previously).

As we know from ‘our’ Thomas, occupations varied.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 14 September 20 08:00 BST (UK) »
I am tending towards the steel erector in Norfolk in 1939, apart from the age, which is wrong for him being 23 on marriage, and age stated at death.

Cannot see anyone born Norfolk who would fit for the 1939 (unless they have also altered their birth year), so looks to be from elsewhere.

People do get ages wrong for a variety of reasons, but we also have not definitely got him in 1901 or 1911, so he could do a lot of travelling and was not born in Manchester.

Could he be Irish?

Have you considered DNA?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 14 September 20 09:23 BST (UK) »
Just putting here, possibly named before, in 1881 this family with father John, living in Barrow

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1881&indiv=try&h=12105886

Thomas is claimed 4, but it looks like 14, which would be wrong, but born Manchester.
John Jackson   33  fitter  Manchester
Eliza Jackson   33    Scotland
Salina Jackson    14 months?  Barrow
John Jackson   9  Barrow
Thomas Jackson   4  Manchester

Then 1911, Thomas is married but Sabina is his sister(and has been crossed out) and single, claimed John and Eliza married 34 years, 2 children born and living
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=2352&h=32578347&tid=&pid=&queryId=ff4fd6e7327c7befcc92aaabf38f28c3&usePUB=true&_phsrc=zpG5218&_phstart=successSource
John Jackson   63  mechanic  Manchester
Eliza Jackson   63   Scotland
Sabina Jackson   33  Manchester daughter single
Thomas Jackson   31  Barrow Labourer Engineering  married