Author Topic: How to find someone after 1911 and when is the 1921 census coming out  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Dorey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How to find someone after 1911 and when is the 1921 census coming out
« Reply #36 on: Monday 14 September 20 19:49 BST (UK) »
I am really grateful to you all for collating the family in Croston, Preston, Lancashire.  I have researched all of them but its Beatrice Maude Field, whom I cannot find.  I really thought that if I could prove she was not at the address of 42 Oyster Street, Portsmouth after 1912 that she had run off from her family in Portsmouth with Sidney Davis to marry him in Rodborough in 1912 and then they both had come to Croston, Preston , Lancashire to start a family.

She were would I start to find out if Beatrice Maude Field was at 42 Oyster Steet, Portsmouth after 1912?

Thank you all
William Turner 1760, ??
William Turner 1788, Hanmer, Flintshire
William Turner 1831, Bettisfield, Hanmer, Flintshire
Richard Turner 1865, Shut End, Stafford
John Turner 1883, Wrexham, Flintshire
Robert Turner 1910 Standish, Wigan, Lancashire
Maurice Kevin Turner, Chorley, Lancashire

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 14 September 20 20:06 BST (UK) »
May I suggest that you contact the Portsmouth History Centre?

Email: portsmouthhistorycentre@portsmouthcc.gov.uk

Tel: 023 9268 8046

Explain what you are trying to do regarding electoral rolls and see what they say.  If they do a search for you a charge may well be made.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 14 September 20 21:11 BST (UK) »
Dorey was advised where to find the electoral registers in reply #19.  And that any female would not appear until after women were granted the vote.  This would inevitably leave a gap from 1911 until that time.  Women over 30 who met certain property requirements were granted the vote under a law passed in 1918. Full sufferage was granted under a law passed in 1928.

I can't see a way to establish her whereabouts conclusively from the records available after 1911. Even with 1921 census record, all you could say with certainty is where a Beatrice Maud Field and/or Davis born cir 1888 was living at that time and that she was born in the right area. Unless a known family member from her possible earlier life is with her, any link would still not be confirmed 100%.

As I understand it, you seem to believe that she did run off. Or have I misunderstood things?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
Dorey - reply 30

I added a snippet of Beatrice's signature from her 1905 marriage to John Christopher Monday FIELD.

Did you compare the signature from the Beatrice Maude FIELD 1912 marriage to Samuel DAVIS?
Were they similar? - perhaps you can add a snippet here if you're not sure

May have missed it as it's a long thread who witnessed Beatrice/Sidney marriage?

The only thing I have is their marriage certificate and that she married to;

Sidney Davis on 3rd June 1912 at Stroud Register office, he was 36 years old a bachelor and just come out of the Army, 1st battalion of the Gloucesertshire Regiment and had been discharged from Cambridge Barracks, Portsmouth on 13 May 1912.   He was born in Randwick near Stroud and his father William Davis was deceased.

I believe you mentioned Beatrice residence from 1912 marriage was Rodborough

Also at reply 30 I asked if you had a birth certificate for Beatrice Maude Field & Samuel Davis  first child and if so,  was she formally Field or Godwin?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dorey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ladyhawk, Girl Guide and Little Nell.  I have rang the Portsmouth History Centre but unless she was a rent holder after 1911 they think it impossible to trace her.

I have misplaced her marriage certificate to Sidney Davis and am frantically looking for it to compare the signature on her marriage to John Field.

I am assuming because I cannot find a death for Beatrice Made Field in Portsmouth or similar that she is the bigamist I think she is and married Sidney Davis etc.

One of my husbands Aunties remembers that she came from Portsmouth and that she never mentioned a family down there and no one of her family visited her.

William Turner 1760, ??
William Turner 1788, Hanmer, Flintshire
William Turner 1831, Bettisfield, Hanmer, Flintshire
Richard Turner 1865, Shut End, Stafford
John Turner 1883, Wrexham, Flintshire
Robert Turner 1910 Standish, Wigan, Lancashire
Maurice Kevin Turner, Chorley, Lancashire

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
I have misplaced her marriage certificate to Sidney Davis and am frantically looking for it to compare the signature on her marriage to John Field.

If it is from the GRO it won't have her original signature.
She may have disguised it anyway ;D

The only thing I have is their marriage certificate and that she married to;

Sidney Davis on 3rd June 1912 at Stroud Register office, he was 36 years old a bachelor and just come out of the Army, 1st battalion of the Gloucesertshire Regiment and had been discharged from Cambridge Barracks, Portsmouth on 13 May 1912.   He was born in Randwick near Stroud and his father William Davis was deceased.

Beatrice Maud(e) Field married on 3rd June 1912 at Stroud Register office, she was 24 years old, her occupation was Laundress and her residence at the time of her marriage was Rodborough, her fathers name was Alfred John Field whom she states was a salesman.

The witnesses were E Rowles and A Rowles

She had six children and one lived in London and used to holiday at Southsea.  He always used to say that's were his Mum came from.

Link again to the old thread
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=766429.0

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 15:45 BST (UK) »
May have missed it as it's a long thread

This one is fast catching it up!