Author Topic: Where can I find a Service Number ??  (Read 363 times)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Where can I find a Service Number ??
« on: Wednesday 09 September 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
I'm desperately trying to find my Father's Service Record, who was a Royal Marine in WW2, and who served in India, Burma, Egypt & Italy.  I have all the relevant documents to send to the MOD, but they won't release his Service Record, without his Service Number, and try as I might, I can't find out where to obtain this.....what a nightmare !!   :'( :'( :'( :'(     
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

guest189040

Re: Where can I find a Service Number ??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 11:19 BST (UK) »
You are doing well if you can find any information online about your Father, I can find nothing about any of my relatives who served in WW2.

If it were me I would find the telephone number for:-

RN Disclosure Cell, MP1.3, Leach Building, Navy Command Headquarters, Whale Island, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO2 8BY

Then telephone them up for advice.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-your-own-records

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 11:20 BST (UK) »
Although they ask for for service number it is not necessary, obviously that is something that is often unknown by the applicants.

You should not require his service number, provided you have his full birth details and his death certificate you should have no problem in obtaining his records.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links Biggles, it's much appreciated  - and sadly, I haven't found anything online at all - in fact, I'm sure it'd be easier trying to get an audience with The Queen..... and Jebber, although I managed to get and Download the MOD 'Request for Information' Document (Parts 1 & 2), providing the Service Number is actually Mandatory, so despite having all the other documentation that's required, I can't go any further.  It's so frustrating..... >:( >:( >:( >:(
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 11:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links Biggles, it's much appreciated  - and sadly, I haven't found anything online at all - in fact, I'm sure it'd be easier trying to get an audience with The Queen..... and Jebber, although I managed to get and Download the MOD 'Request for Information' Document (Parts 1 & 2), providing the Service Number is actually Mandatory, so despite having all the other documentation that's required, I can't go any further.  It's so frustrating..... >:( >:( >:( >:(

No it isn't ;D
If you read the forms carefully, it asks for Service No OR Date of birth

I have applied for Army, Navy and RAF records in the past successfully.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 11:59 BST (UK) »
Places I have found service numbers are:

WW1

- for my maternal grandfather (RFA), his post 1917 change number is on his medals and medal card, his earlier number is written inside his copy of the New Testament that was issued to the forces

WW2

- For my mother (in the WRAF), written inside her copy of the New Testament
- for my paternal grandfather (with the army in North Africa and Italy), on Christmas cards home which were photographed, sent to Britain as film and printed out here and delivered

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 12:01 BST (UK) »
This is the Royal Navy and Marines part 2 form:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/869589/rnrm_application_part2_final.pdf

I would suggest you enter "not known" in the service number box.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 12:07 BST (UK) »
If you read the form carefully, at the top is says “Complete the firm as accurately and as fully as POSSIBLE “
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 12:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone - my mistake - I've read and re-read the form yet again, and yes, you're correct KGarrard. Underneath the Mandatory Section of the Form it says *Service Number AND/OR Date of Birth must be included".   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)  Thanks again...