Author Topic: 2nd Cousin with 364 cM across 13 Segments  (Read 3955 times)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Cousin with 364 cM across 13 Segments
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 September 20 21:14 BST (UK) »
Yes then it would definitely be helpful.for that cousin to do the DNA test and it would certainly help you

My mum had 15 cousins and ,6 half cousins from grandads first wife 4 half cousins from geandmothers furst husband

One of her full cousins and one of her half cousins decided to test in their eighties and it has been extremely useful for triangulations great grandchildren of another half cousin have also tested so I can pinpoint lines

I even contacted some people with no trees. closed trees or small trees with sentences like ..did your ancestors come from ...or were they in ...In the1930s...do you think you could link to ...?

Ive had good responses...from the one in ten that reply.even if theyve not responded previously
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

guest189040

« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 September 20 17:19 BST (UK) »
Since Thursday I have spent about six hours going through my tree from my Great Grandparents generation to as far as I can today.

I have reviewed all that I can and had another search to see if any of the brick wall relatives now have reasonable search hits.

So far I have not a single Maureen in my tree.

Then I have been looking through the 1361 marriages that there have been in the UK from 1915 to 2005 of a Maureen to a "Lewis".

Nothing jumps out by way of a surname for her although I still have leaning towards a certain area of Yorkshire and a specific surname for her, but I will still keep working on all options.

So next on the assumption that other match Peter is in fact Maureen's son then there are 457 possibilities for him and working through them it again is a case of no obvious Mother's surname standing out.

AAGGGRRRHHHH

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 12 September 20 17:32 BST (UK) »
Have you looked through your common ancestors to see if either Maureen or Peter are a shared match with them.

Online jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 12 September 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
I have a match that is 389/19.

Someone I had never heard of.

She has a tree with 6 people on it 3 of whom are private, but luckily I was able to work out who she is
but no sign of any connection.

I looked at where she was born, the city my mother was born in. My grandparents had moved to that city well away from any other family.

ThruLines show matches with my maternal grandfather.

So who is she?

I didn't want to contact her as although her parents were married at the time of her birth I suspect her father is one of my 5 male cousins all of whom live in that city and all of whom are of a suitable age.

I don't want to stir up a Hornet's nest and she hasn't been on Ancestry since I did my test.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

guest189040

« Reply #22 on: Saturday 12 September 20 22:33 BST (UK) »
Have you looked through your common ancestors to see if either Maureen or Peter are a shared match with them.

They have no Trees hence no known Common Ancestor(s).

The Shared Matches with Maureen have no Common Ancestor(s) or even usable Trees.

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 12 September 20 22:39 BST (UK) »
I meant look at all your common ancestors (with green leaf) down to 8cM and see if anyone is a match with M or P.

Could you also search Thrulines and click on each person (say who is connected to each of your great grandparents) to see if M or P are a match?

eg great grandparent 1 has 5 people connected - click on each individual to see if it says you and ? are a match with M or P

hope that makes sense!  ???

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 13 September 20 01:32 BST (UK) »
I suppose youve already used the search surname option in dna results trying maureens suspected surname then lewis and of course all your great grandparents names
 even if a tree is closed the search will reveal if a particular surname is on a tree with dna links to you .

Sounds as if you are having a slow laborious time of it .
Asking other relatives to test or finding those distant cousins who.ve already tested would make your task easier

How many matches have you got whose lineage you CAN  trace ?

Personally I  think if any of your grandparents or great grandparents had a child you didnt know about that led to adoption or was
Outside of marriage the surnames will not help you as much as dna triangulation
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

guest189040

« Reply #25 on: Sunday 13 September 20 17:56 BST (UK) »
I suppose youve already used the search surname option in dna results trying maureens suspected surname then lewis and of course all your great grandparents names
 even if a tree is closed the search will reveal if a particular surname is on a tree with dna links to you .

Sounds as if you are having a slow laborious time of it .
Asking other relatives to test or finding those distant cousins who.ve already tested would make your task easier

How many matches have you got whose lineage you CAN  trace ?

Personally I  think if any of your grandparents or great grandparents had a child you didnt know about that led to adoption or was
Outside of marriage the surnames will not help you as much as dna triangulation
Many thanks to all who have responded

Just to reiterate - MAUREEN has No Tree so that just does not help at all and Peter has No Tree.

All the shared matches to Maureen have no useful trees.

Of those that do, I have seen if any shared matches to them have any useful info and none have.

As of now I have 472 Matches at 4th Cousin or closer.

60 are Shared Matches to Maureen and of those 60 I have 4 that are linked in my Tree and what does not help is that these 4 are linked via family in different geographical locations

I have linked to about 30 of the 472 DNA matches and all bar two have been via a Common Ancestor suggested by Ancestry.  I currently have three Common Ancestor hints which have dubious links due to unsupported documentation.

Without Trees of a reasonable size it seems that creating a link to a match is very difficult to achieve even if the matches tree includes a surname that is in my own tree.

The hunt continues.

guest189040

« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 September 20 16:42 BST (UK) »
UPDATE

I have been through my DNA matches and for those above 100cM I have created a specific Group based on them and the others within the Group are those that are shown in the Shared Matches section.

So in Maureen Lewis's group there is Peter Lewis and a Susan Tyke (again not a real name but one based on a probable location of the family) and this in turn ties in to the Maureen and Peter I found on Fb who have not responded to a Message.

In Susan Tyke's group if I look through those with a hign cM then I see quite a few with Yorkshire origins.  Susan Tyke has not been on Ancestry for over a year but she did leave behind a Tree of 11 which I have added to my own tree as a Floating Branch.

It turns out Susan Tyke was Susan Lewis and she has a Brother Peter and a Mother called Maureen from which I have found that Maureen's maiden name was Grayson (again ficticious to protect the living).

Now try as I may I have not been able to find how Grayson fits into my own tree.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Who knows, but at least it makes sense so far especially as Susan and Peter have very similar DNA cM results.