Author Topic: 2nd Cousin with 364 cM across 13 Segments  (Read 3960 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Cousin with 364 cM across 13 Segments
« Reply #27 on: Friday 25 September 20 17:27 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you are getting closer .thanks for sharing your technique ..

I tried something similar found a tree that.at least included a grandparent then looked at trees which hadnt done dna but had that person ..bingo worked out the link ..which has intrigued me for many months.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

guest189040

« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 October 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
Yet Another Update.

I spent quite a bit of time yesterday working on the Floating Branches.

The person concerned has Shared Matches with me and four others (all over 100 cM) and they in turn are Shared with me and her.  These also have a surname that recurs with each of them

So I created a set of Floating Branches and after a lot of effort i created branches between these five, but alas not yet have I linked this Floating Branch to my main tree.

So I am sort of making good progress with this mystery.

Now my Grandparents were each from very different regions of the UK and the above relate to my Maternal Grandfather’s area of birth.  The issue being that at 18 he emigrated to Canada only returning once in 1915 which was after the birth of quite a few of the people in the Floating Branch, I did think that he may have had liaison on his return but maybe it was before he emigrated, if indeed he was the culprit.

I am limiting research to Grandfather’s Paternal side of the family as on my Great Grandmother’s side I have another DNA match that I have been in contact with for a few years and she does not have any shared DNA with the people in my Floating Branch.

Oddly I do have another high DNA match that shares the surname but cannot find a link for her to either me or my Floating Branch family.

The quest continues.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 October 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
Just a quick tip ..although people who've not been on site for over 3 months may not reply some will still get alert to a message via email and may reply if you have information to share .
I have had replies from people whose subs have lapsed .

Rare tho !

But  no harm trying if you have time to spare .

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 18:51 BST (UK) »
Another speculation ....any chance that your maternal gandfather was not the child of one of the parent's he grew up with.....

Do you have DNA links to each of their lines further back

If he did father a child before going to Canada you could be looking for an adoptee or a child born less thn 9 months after a marriage .or a child of a married woman ...none of which would show as a match to your tree does that make sense ?

How did you get on matching the 5 floating branches to each other .?

I hope your persistence and methodology will pay off

Meanwhile im sure you've inspired others in ways to identify.matches.

guest189040

Re: 2nd Cousin with 364 cM across 13 Segme
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 06 October 20 20:27 BST (UK) »
Bridgidmac.

In answer to your question about how I did what I did with the five matches in my floating branches.

I set about going through each of my highest DNA matches, selecting the highest, then selecting shared matches  and assigning all in the group a Coloured Dot.  Then onto the next highest and repeat.  At then end I had quite a few with multiple Coloured Dots.

Next I looked at those with multiple Coloured Dots and selected the one with the most people in their tree.

Then I built their Tree in my Tree, checking each person to see if their are any errors in their tree, I went back as far as they had researched and continued with the aim of getting back before 1800 and if I could to 1700.

Then onto the next match and repeat.

Then the next and then the same surname as the previous match was found.

So then I worked concentrating just on the surname.  I then found a probable link between the two trees via the common surname. 

With a link created I revisited the first match and expanded their tree and found the same surname but not a link to the second and third matches.

So I now had two floating branches of three DNA matches with a common surname.  The thing that really stood out was location, Bradford, just as I had presumed would be the case based upon the locations of people in the trees of my DNA matches.

Now for the big one, the 364 cM match, I know her name which I presume is her married name so I searched for a Maureen marrying a guy with the surname of “Lewis” in Yorkshire and found a few so I took a punt on the one with a Bradford marriage.  I now had a maiden name, so now I took a sideways break to look at two other matches Susan and Peter who I had thought were Maureen’s children and yes the BMD records showed the Maiden name of Maureen as their Mother.  So now I had a tree of three and set about working on Maureen’s parental side and after a couple of generation the common surname came up again.

Then I found a link to two of the three matches above, hence a Floating Branch with 5 DNA matches plus another DNA match who shares the same common surname but one that is not yet linked to the five.

Today I have been using the Leeds Method to build an Excel Spreadsheet snd literary I have only just completed it.

One of the Shared matches to Maureen is also shared with one other DNA match who is not shared with Maureen hence this DNA match is now the centre of research.

As for Grandad not being the child of one of his parents is possible and one that I am going to look into further. 

The Floating Branch with the five plus the sixth with a common surname will be revisited again to check each person is valid and this is what I will check after I review the spreadsheet.

More to follow.

Offline Seesure

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 13:14 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you have the opportunity to do so, but I paid for my mother to have a DNA test and also my father's sister who both agreed.

This effectively gives me a stronger direction to look at with unknown or distant DNA relatives.

It means I can quickly discount one side of the family when looking for connections.

I had a couple of matches that were interesting (393cm over 11 segments and a 226cm over 9 segments) and when I compared the matches to my mother and aunt I was able to see that it was through my maternal line where we are connected. (524cm over 14 segments and 428 over 9 segments respectively).

Offline Heb66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Seesure,

What was the proven relationships of each of you cm matches you mentioned ?

Many thanks.
Payne, Woodchester Glos / Kings Norton Worcs.
Luker, Glos.
Davis, Smith, Evans, Lockstone,Latham, Kings Stanley.
Bingham; Stroud, Glos.
Gore: Glos/ Plymouth.
Rodway: Woodchester, Glos. Wanted Henry Rodway born 1849. Missing since 1881.
Morgan: Nettleton Wilts / Stroud Glos.

Offline Seesure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
Both instances came up as 1st half cousin once removed to my mother -

Essentially shared grandfather but different grandmothers.

guest189040

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 07 October 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you have the opportunity to do so, but I paid for my mother to have a DNA test and also my father's sister who both agreed.

This effectively gives me a stronger direction to look at with unknown or distant DNA relatives.

It means I can quickly discount one side of the family when looking for connections.

I had a couple of matches that were interesting (393cm over 11 segments and a 226cm over 9 segments) and when I compared the matches to my mother and aunt I was able to see that it was through my maternal line where we are connected. (524cm over 14 segments and 428 over 9 segments respectively).

Alas all my older generation relatives are deceased.

My four Grandparents were from very different parts of England and Wales and as my DNA matches all originate in Yorkshire where my Maternal Grandfather was from. 

It complicates things as he emigrated in 1902 to Canada and only returned to Yorkshire at some time or times during WW1 when he was essentially on leave.

The problem being that the dates he could have been in Yorkshire do not co-inside with the birth dates of those in my Floating Tree.