Author Topic: Pilling Hill House Huddersfield  (Read 400 times)

Offline Sharon Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pilling Hill House Huddersfield
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the all info everyone. The picture is not of great quality I'm afraid, as it's very fragile and faded.  I did consider the care home mentioned previously, and I have emailed them. You can see the wording on the glass much better on the original than the scanned version.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 17:46 BST (UK) »
If it is Pilling House it was built by my 4th great-uncle Edwin Field (1935-1901) for his family. He married Sally Jebson (1836-1908) in 1857 and they first appear with their children at Pilling House in the 1871 census, remaining there for the rest of their married life.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 17:49 BST (UK) »
Not sure that it is the same house - note the stone features around the door.  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Looking to the past - or the future?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 18:00 BST (UK) »
Might have been a back or side door?

AHh just noticed Sharon said 'wording on the glass'; I am sure only the front of the house would have had the name.
Seeking: baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 said to be nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Nova Scotia [Halifax, Pictou]: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 18:11 BST (UK) »
Could it be that those stone details are still there, but weathered? I am not looking at the photos side by side, but it looks possible to me.

If so, and subject to hearing from someone better than me at dating photos, I wonder whether it might be of Sally Field née Jebson as a widow, sometime between 1901 and 1908?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Sharon Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 September 20 22:04 BST (UK) »
It could be a possibility that it is her. The wording Pilling Hill is in block capitals on the glass above the door. The only thing that is puzzling me is that if the property is called Pilling House as it is showing on all the records, why would they have the glass painted with Pilling Hill? Surely it would just say Pilling House?

Offline Sharon Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 September 20 10:20 BST (UK) »
Ok, so now we have another suggestion!  I have been sent some pictures and information since Edwin built the home that shows how Pilling House has changed over the years, I don't think any of them from what I can see look like the doorway in the picture. The information says that there has been a property on this site since 1656  and has been renamed and modified/re-built as owners have changed. At first I thought, this was again a completely different place, but then as the info shows the person says it was sold in 1916 and is now a care home, which brings us back to the same property again? I am now thinking is this a picture of the previous owners before Edwin and was the name changed again from Pilling Hill to Pilling House as well as been modified as it has been in the past? Particularly the entrance way? I've added the picture Fluke Hall and the the changes to the property over the years on the next post since Edwin had it .  What do we think?

- Fluke Hall, Pilling: Records show that the hall, known then as Lune Bank, was in existence near Pilling this year 1656.
Lune Bank was fully rebuilt in the 19th Century, and from June 1878, it became formally known as Fluke Hall, after the awarding to the incumbent Gardner family of their own Coat of Arms. The Gardners were rich wine and spirit merchants with premises on Dale Street in Liverpool, and held a moiety (half) of the manor of Pilling. The original hall had its own cottages, stables, pleasure grounds, boating lake, and gardens.
The property was sold by the Gardner family to the Elletson family in July 1916, and is now a nursing home for the elderly.

Offline Sharon Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 September 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
Here's the pics of when Edwin had the property and how it has been modified over the years

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 September 20 10:38 BST (UK) »
Fluke Hall, Pilling is near Preston, not in the Huddersfield area.