Author Topic: Lincolnshire 1806 Baptism Record - Any idea what this means?  (Read 931 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Lincolnshire 1806 Baptism Record - Any idea what this means?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 September 20 21:04 BST (UK) »
My opinion is that the family had removed, as "Water people" they would live on their boat, and in essense be itinerents moving from Parish to Parish with their work on a very short term basis. How they were governed by the poor law I would like to know. Was any soecial category available to them?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 September 20 09:23 BST (UK) »
I have a number of ancestors and relatives who were waterman but they all lived in houses.

I am not sure of the exact nature of some of their jobs, but two sailed packet boats and were only away for a few days a week.

Removed can simply mean moved. If you search the Internet with the phrase "he removed to" or "she removed to" you will find several examples.

David

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 September 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
Removed can simply mean moved. If you search the Internet with the phrase "he removed to" or "she removed to" you will find several examples.

As already suggested back in reply #4. I believe far too much is being read into this.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 September 20 15:17 BST (UK) »
Remember by the location these people would be working Humber keels from the Humber into the Don and other West Riding rivers, I believe their life style was very much that of gypsies on water, they lived on the boats they worked on.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)