Author Topic: Rule of Six  (Read 3643 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rule of Six
« Reply #54 on: Monday 14 September 20 18:09 BST (UK) »
Well our Christmas for that last few years has been about 20 of us from 7 households so I doubt that will happen this year. We will have to zoom and coordinate the cracker pulling and joke telling.  :D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 14 September 20 18:14 BST (UK) »

I don't understand the outrage against these measures - we all know why they've been imposed. Stamping feet & saying 'I'm not doing what the government tells me so there' is not going to help anyone. We aren't being asked to do anything impossible and it's NOT like 1984. It's an incompetent government with no clue how to deal with this situation but (apart from the IoM  ;D ) who else has an answer?

If a few simple things help me & others I'm happy to try them.

I should just like to say that I respect everyone's point of view and I would be grateful if you would respect mine and not resort to accusing me of 'stamping my foot' and 'refusing to do what the government tells me to do' and dismissing me as a naughty child.  I was brought up to question and analyse what is going on around me and that is what I am doing whether you like it or not.

My approach to this is, and has always been, that these haphazard measures are not merely the work of an incompetent government but of an overbearing one and that they are causing needless distress to many people.

I am sorry that you consider the IoM's approach to be exemplary - imprisoning people for trying to live their lives as best they can doesn't seem to me to be in any way appropriate in a (supposedly) free society.

'Do the right thing' means different things to different people but most have their own and their fellow citizens best interest at heart.

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 14 September 20 18:28 BST (UK) »
"needless distress"

Dunno, but I find frequent hand washing, distancing and a mask a lot less stressful than the prospect of disease, hospitalization and death.  But that's just me.  [Oh, and for what it's worth,  I was brought up to question and analyze].
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 14 September 20 19:02 BST (UK) »
I see things differently, we have five grandchildren and the disruption to their education, their ambitions and the restrictions on their lives is considerable, and for what?, to keep their 80 year old grandad alive for a couple more years.

I would rather be responsible for my own safety than expect 97% of the population to suffer on my behalf, it’s not difficult, if you don’t want to to catch this illness don’t go within two metres of anyone else.

Mike

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 14 September 20 19:42 BST (UK) »
JillRuss I'm sorry you took exception to my expressing my point of view. I didn't call anybody a naughty child.

I too was brought up to analyse and debate in a family & education system where everyone was entitled to have their say.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 14 September 20 20:08 BST (UK) »
First of all I am not political

I ask myself if anyone could have done better, no one knew what to do about this situation right from the beginning,  as far as I am concerned we all have to do the right thing and as soon as everyone does the better for everyone, frustrating and as boring as it has become..

Just please do the right thing folks to protect us all, I suspect most on this board are over a certain age and mostly doing the right things, others need to be guided

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 14 September 20 20:21 BST (UK) »
"needless distress"

Dunno, but I find frequent hand washing, distancing and a mask a lot less stressful than the prospect of disease, hospitalization and death.  But that's just me.  [Oh, and for what it's worth,  I was brought up to question and analyze].

Well said Erato,

Although not everyone suffering awful after complications now, were originally hospitalised UK as an inpatient.

Some have initially recovered at home from the Respiratory and associated illnesses, but have been left with other awful health problems and disabilities etc., which are expected to continue into the forseeable future.

Take care everyone, Mark

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 14 September 20 20:44 BST (UK) »
First of all I am not political

I ask myself if anyone could have done better, no one knew what to do about this situation right from the beginning,  as far as I am concerned we all have to do the right thing and as soon as everyone does the better for everyone, frustrating and as boring as it has become..

Just please do the right thing folks to protect us all, I suspect most on this board are over a certain age and mostly doing the right things, others need to be guided

Louisa Maud

The only thing we have now as a guide, is what has already occurred this Spring / Summer.

Israel now gone into 2nd Full Lockdown.

Louisa, it is though some people have already forgotten Spring/Summer 2020 really happened and are now in denial.

Take care, Mark

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 14 September 20 20:55 BST (UK) »

I am sorry that you consider the IoM's approach to be exemplary - imprisoning people for trying to live their lives as best they can doesn't seem to me to be in any way appropriate in a (supposedly) free society.

I am sorry you feel that imprisonment for breaking a law, after signing an agreement, is wrong.
Happened again in the last week: Chap visited his parents in Bulgaria; came back to IoM; went back to work as a delivery driver after just a few days self-isolation.

Result: 8 weeks jail; and all people who he delivered to now have to self-isolate and have tests taken, as well as staff at the restaurant where he worked.

Self-isolation is taken very seriously over here.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)