Author Topic: John McMurchy born  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McMurchy born
« on: Thursday 10 September 20 19:14 BST (UK) »
John McMurchy born in Saddell on 03 05 1806, father Archibald McMurchy, mother Mary Hyndman.

John McMurchy born abt 1814(Census date) Campbeltown, married Helen Tait, in Frontenac Quebec. This tree is on Family Search.  Tried Rootschat Canada for immigration, no luck.

Any Kintyre McMurchy's know about either John McMurchy and families. He is not the John McMurchy married to Jean Colville, different parents.

Trying to determine if John born 1806 and John born abt 1814 are one and the same person.  Difficult to verify and I like to be at least almost sure.

Thanks Dooker

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John McMurchy born
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 September 20 21:02 BST (UK) »
3 May 1806 is his baptism date not his birth date. I have been doing a little searching but surprisingly there are a few John M Murchys born 1814 +/- 5 years.
John Mcmurchy
Baptised 3 May 1806
At  Saddell and Skipness, Argyll, Scotland
Father:   Archibald Mcmurchy
FHL Film Number:   1041076

There is also a John McMurchy born 4 Nov 1875 who died at Bethel, Clermont County, Ohio, US

Who is the ancestor of yours who led you back to John McMurchy born c1806? Who did your John McMurchy marry?

Offline Dooker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John McMurchy born
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 September 20 21:34 BST (UK) »
The ancestor of John Mc Murchy is his mother Mary Hyndman. She was the daughter of Peter Hyndman and Katherine Blue. They were from Saddell . One of Peter Hyndman's son Donald is my direct ancestor It is Hyndman and not McMurchy who are my ancestors

I have copy of John McMurchy's  baptismal cert.  Unfortunately no mother listed except on Family Search .

No record of family on Census 1841 or later.

No known marriage for John. This is why trying to decide if he and the 1814 John are one and the same.  Difficult.

Any help is appreciated.

Dooker

I know there are still McMurchy's who still live in Campbeltown but none as far as I know in Saddell, which then and now is  Carradale.

Thanks for your reply.

Dooker.