Author Topic: Ancestry DNA Update - General Query  (Read 826 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA Update - General Query
« on: Friday 11 September 20 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone

As with everyone else I have had my DNA results updated.
Previously it was - Ireland & Scotland 52%. England, Wales & NW Europe 23%. Eastern Europe & Russa 18%, Germanic Europe 6%, Baltics 1%.
Now it is - Scotland, 42%. Ireland, 31%. Eastern Europe & Russa, 16%. Wales, 7%. England & NW Europe, 4%.

Now my understanding of DNA is that you get 50% from either parent, and 25% from each grandparents and so on.

My paternal grandparents were Scottish, with some Irish roots. My maternal grandfather was Polish, and my maternal grandmother was Welsh (English father).

Because my Ireland & Scotland results equate to 73%, and I only get 50% of that from my father, would that mean that I get 23% Irish/Scottish from my maternal line also?

Apologies if I am completely wrong in this assumption.

Keelan

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA Update - General Query
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 September 20 18:48 BST (UK) »
I dont know what they've done!

My mother was from Tyneside, and just one of her great-grandparents was from Scotland. All the rest were from Durham or Tyneside, for several generations, and all is confirmed by DNA.

Yet I have been given a 32% Scottish rating. Combined with a 17% Norway + Sweden. No mention of Northumbria / Durham.

But when you look at the 32%, it can range from 5 - 36%, rendering it pretty useless. Norway is 1 - 11%, and Sweden 0 - 12%. I am assuming that this Scandinavian effort is the result of Viking raids, when most of that side of my tree is from that area, every single line will be carrying it!

The only plus point is that finally, I can see the Welsh part of me acknowledged!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 September 20 19:36 BST (UK) »
My husband & I both got 20+% of Scotland, despite zero paper trail in that direction.  I lost all of my Irish, despite my great-grandmother being the granddaughter of 4 people all born in Ireland.

The rest looks pretty much the same.

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 September 20 20:00 BST (UK) »
 ::) :o

I have lost all my German and gained 16% Scottish at the expense of the German and a bit of my Swedish which has gone - everything else remains the same.

Very strange - neither I nor my parents have ever had Scottish in our ethnicity estimates and the paper trail doesn't go anywhere close. On the other hand Dad particularly has a strong German bias supported by our paper trail, and Mum's Swedish was 100% at one point (now much lower!).

Goodness knows what ancestry are up to!

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 September 20 20:07 BST (UK) »
Another thread here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=837157.0

add - this is the first time the ethnicity estimates have come close to my tree ancestry  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

guest189040

« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 September 20 20:59 BST (UK) »
What a load of rubbish.

Just looked at both my Wife’s and my own.

They are radically different to what they were.

Same Scottish thing as others, despite zero ancestors from there within the last two hundred years.

4% Welsh despite at least two hundred years Welsh ancestry from my Grandmother and her ancestors

Tip

Take a screenshot of the screen and save it before you update the estimate.