Author Topic: Connection  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Connection
« on: Saturday 12 September 20 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, have just got a new match on Ancestry which tells me that he is a 1st–2nd Cousin
Shared DNA: 343 cM across 13 segments, his tree is open to the public so I can see all of his ancestors but I cant for the life of me find where we match, the town where I and my mother was born matches with his but that's as far as I can get.
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Connection
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 September 20 09:43 BST (UK) »
Have you double checked his tree.
I have a fairly close match whose tree on the face of it looked OK and I couldn't find any connection to mine.
But when I checked more thoroughly I found the man he had put down as his maternal grandfather died in 1917 (details of the man's parents and wife with names and addresses were on CWGC site so definitely right man) and his mother was born in 1920. I have narrowed the natural father down to a branch of my family but not a definite person yet.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 September 20 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lizzy,
                     there is a unknown person on his tree so will have to write and ask him if he has any hearsay from within his own family .
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 September 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
Have you checked your joint matches??  If any are in your tree, or you can link them to your tree, this should indicate the likely branches to look at.

Having said that I have more than 1 match, without a tree, who don't respond to contact, who match with lots of my matches in one particular branch. Despite knowing where to look, I cant find anything to help me. Doesn't help that their user names have no particular information you can use! No helpful info. there at all!!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

guest189040

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 September 20 15:46 BST (UK) »
Message them, even if it shows that they have not logged in for a while

Then select the person from your DNA matches.

Then click on Shared Matches.

You will see a list of other close matches that shard DNA with you and the person concerned, do not do anything yet.

Now click on Group

Then click on Create Custon Group

Type in a Name like the .... "persons name" AND me

Then select a colour marker.

Apply this marker to all the people listed

You can then look through all the marked matches to see if any of their Family Trees share a Common Ancestor and or have a surname you recognise.

You can then use this coloured marker as a filter to only show the people you are interested in.

What I did was to apply Common Ancestor to filter and group all the people together then applied a colour coded group marker when I had created a linked branch to them.  I then worked through all 30 with a Common Ancestor and now have them all in my Tree.

As it is my own 364cM 13 segments match has no tree and she is a mystery

This is as good as it gets if they are not responding to messages,

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 September 20 16:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for all replies,  have followed your advice Biggles, but cannot remove the group now and to make things worse the colour's were not working for some reason so had to use a colour that I already use for another group. :-\

guest189040

« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 September 20 17:08 BST (UK) »
It may be an Ancestry hiccup.

I have just gone into DNA matches and clicked on the first listing Add/Edit Groups

Then clicked on the pencil icon beside the Group I wanted to change and then I changed the colour of one this Group

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 September 20 19:15 BST (UK) »
Yes it was a hiccup have sorted it now, thanks again.

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 08:23 BST (UK) »
I got a similar match, albeit without much of a tree. Looking at shared matches can help you narrow down the likely connections.  And considering the age of individuals can eliminate some of the relationship possibilities.

On this basis my unexpected 339 cM match can only be a half 1st cousin but people may not be aware of certain events in their family history.