Author Topic: Computer numpty needs help  (Read 741 times)

Offline Minimoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Computer numpty needs help
« on: Saturday 12 September 20 13:57 BST (UK) »

I have been using an hp chromebook since June which was to replace my very old laptop and was recommended by my daughter as very easy to set up and use as she knows I "don't do technology"
I only use it for fun,a few websites and the odd email is as much as I can manage. I am a complete dunce at anything technical (the last time I used my dvd the steel magnolias were speaking Italian !! )

For the past 3 or 4 days the machine has bee running very slowly.I have tried to find an answer but keep getting technical jargon I do not understand.Please could someone help me in words of one syllable as to what the problem might be and how to fix it. I really am an absolute numpty with any thing complicated.
Many thanks.

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Computer numpty needs help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 September 20 15:24 BST (UK) »
Ive never run Chrome but briefly reading about it, running slow seems a common complaint. It likes to use up memory and thus slows things down.

Most people suggest opening 'task manager' that will give you an idea of whats going on.  It will tell you what physical memory is available.  The more the better, the less there is things will slow down.

Maybe check that out and check the given figure against the specification for your laptop.  Also check the memory when chrome is running and also when its not.  Then perhaps give your daughter the figures and ask her how to rectify it. 

It could be you will have to disable certain plug-ins eg.  java or Flash. but she should be able to help you with that.

To open up 'task manager' have a look at this site. https://www.lifewire.com/google-chrome-task-manager-4103619.  just follow the instructions given. 
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

guest189040

« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 September 20 15:35 BST (UK) »
Take it back to where it came and get them to sort it out.

If on the other hand it is an old laptop, bin it and buy a new one at least twice the price you think you want to pay.

Chromebooks and cheap Laptops are severely comrpomised machines that have been cut to the bone.

If all you want is to browse the internet then buy an iPad, they just work and setting up email like Gmail is a simple task

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 September 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
f all you want is to browse the internet then buy an iPad, they just work and setting up email like Gmail is a simple task

Far more expensive than a Chromebook though. I don't have a Chromebook, but people I know who do speak very highly of them. If it's only 3 months old contact the people you bought it from.

Have you checked to see if there are any updates?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 September 20 10:30 BST (UK) »
With most computer equipment, restarting will force it to reorganise its memory, and the new layout can work out faster than the old, fragmented, one.

Google shows the following methods:

To turn off your Chromebook completely, try one of these options:
  • At the bottom right, select the time. Select Power .
  • At the bottom right, select the time. Select Sign out Shut down.
  • Press and hold the Power key for three seconds.
  • Press and hold the Power button until you see a menu to Power off or Sign out.

Then use the power button to switch it back on.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Minimoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 September 20 12:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the replies and apologies for not getting back sooner.

The machine was new in June and my daughter ordered it on line and had it delivered to me so taking it back is not an option even if I could travel. Neither is ditching it and buying a new one or an ipad I just don't have the money ! but thanks anyway.

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 September 20 14:51 BST (UK) »
In the advertising for Chromebooks it states that nearly all your apps & docs will be in the Cloud (which means most things will be done on-line, not on your computer).

If you or HP have installed a number of apps they will all be looking on-line all the time, which could be the reason everything has slowed down.

One solution is to reduce the apps just to those you actually use.

Michael.

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 September 20 15:08 BST (UK) »
Another  thing which could be the cause - some browsers store the web pages you visit & continually check for them for changes, to enable 'quicker' loading when you next visit. The number of stored pages quickly builds up so checking takes more & more time.

I'm not very familiar with the Chrome browser although it's on my Android mobile phone; you may need to go into the settings & delete your browsing history.

Michael.