Author Topic: Ann Silvester of Brandesburton - where do I look next?  (Read 367 times)

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Silvester of Brandesburton - where do I look next?
« on: Saturday 12 September 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
Following my Shropshire ancestors, I was surprised to find that one Christopher North (b.1697 in Trentham, Staffs) and his wife Ann Silvester were married at Brandesburton in Yorkshire on 15 January 1722. They went on to have eight children who were all born in Wellington in Shropshire and it looks like the family stayed there for about 150 years before moving to Nottinghamshire.

The parish register of Brandesburton notes that both Christopher and Ann were "of the parish". Now I'm assuming Christopher had moved there for work, or perhaps they had known each other from Shropshire before Ann had moved there for work. Either way, I'm 99% sure they are the right couple.

In 1715, a baby boy named Thomas Silvester was baptised at Brandesburton, the son of Ann. I have found Thomas' burial which took place in May 1729, he's called "Thomas Silvester alias Atkins, a little lad". He would have been about 14 years old when he died so I think this is the right boy.

Essentially, my question is where to look for Ann's baptism? Besides the baptism of her son Thomas in 1715, there are no other Silvesters in the parish registers for Brandesburton. Also, if Ann had married Christopher by the time her son Thomas died, why was Thomas still living in Brandesburton and not with his mother in Wellington?

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Silvester of Brandesburton - where do I look next?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 September 20 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi GenesA

This does not seem credible to me. Brandesburton is a very long way from Shropshire/Staffordshire.  Unless Christopher had money and was able to move wherever he wished the settlement laws would define his movements.

Do you know what his occupation was?

Venelow
Canada

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Silvester of Brandesburton - where do I look next?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 September 20 11:47 BST (UK) »

Thomas SYLVESTER   Baptism   06 Jan 1715/16   Yorkshire, East Riding   Brandesburton : St Mary : Transcript
Mother noted as Annae – year would be 1715 on Julian and 1716 on Gregorian Calendars, more likely the former as Gregorian did not become the norm until 1752.

Ann SILVESTERChristopher NORTH   Marriage   15 Jan 1722/23   Yorkshire, East Riding   Brandesburton : St Mary

There are a number of Ann/e SYLVESTER’S baptisms on Freereg & Family Search in Staffordshire but mainly just north of Birmingham. None in Yorkshire or Shropshire but others further south in England.  Ann’s children’s names might help find her own parentage.

Just for interest there are two other North marriages in Brandesburton on freereg

Elizabeth DANDYAnthony NORTH   Marriage   18 Jul 1687   Yorkshire, East Riding   Brandesburton : St Mary :

Elizabetha NORTHGulielmus ATKINSON   Marriage   20 Jan 1709/10   Yorkshire, East Riding   Brandesburton : St Mary :

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.