Author Topic: Road names 1935-1939 Botley, Oxford  (Read 1342 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Road names 1935-1939 Botley, Oxford
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 September 20 10:43 BST (UK) »
It doesn't seem clear when the roads were renamed - or when Hutchcombe Road was extended to the top of the hill.

As you may have gathered, I am researching my own house, and I probably need to do a little more personal investigation in terms of estimating the age of surrounding houses to get a better idea.

The 1939 register is frustrating in that it probably does show the residents of my house - but I cannot pin down which number it will have been called at the time.

Thank you for the Old Maps reference - a fascinating site!  For anyone researching a specific area, just subscribing for a month at £9.99 seems relatively good value for money.
 ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 September 20 11:42 BST (UK) »
The 1959 map shows numbering. But zooming in is restricted.

You can see the numbers quite clearly on the 1/1250 map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/448320/205742/13/101329

stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 September 20 11:57 BST (UK) »
The 1959 map shows numbering. But zooming in is restricted.

You can see the numbers quite clearly on the 1/1250 map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/448320/205742/13/101329

stan

Thanks, Stan - but sadly this is the same as today, so gives no clues to 1939 Register, where Springfield Road is not mentioned and I am having to guess what number it might be in either Hurst Rise Road,  or possibly Hurst Rise (both roads appear in the Register).

As it happens, both 2 Springfield Road and 15 Hurst Rise Road match exactly in design (which is a slightly unusual footprint) and were evidently built by the same builder in 1936/37, on a corner site.

Whether they were both originally numbered as Hurst Rise Road, or in different roads, seems to be impossible to determine.

I would be able to find out definitively, I assume, by consulting the Deeds which would show the first owners post construction, and possibly the original address, but these are currently held by the Building Society.

I'm a little surprised not to be able to find, despite the kind help here, when Springfield Road itself came into existence. 

There must have been renaming activities carried out when the whole area was redeveloped, first in the 1930's and then - apparently -  in the 1960's, when it looks as if Hutchcomb Road was extended up the hill (it is actually Cedar Road at the top, where it joins Lime Road). 

However, I cannot as yet find any reference to the introduction of the new name, why it was chosen etc.  Local roads reflect the farms and hills in the vicinity, as well as tree names (and also, in the Elms Rise development, the names of the builders).

No particular importance in pinning all this down - it is purely interest on my part to find out the first occupiers - but yet another example of how research can lead you into other interesting by-lines such as when your locality was built, how names were chosen, what numbers houses originally had and when they were altered, etc.

;D

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 September 20 12:08 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately  house numbers have only been recorded on 1/1250 maps since 1946, and on basic scale 1/2500 maps since 1955.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 September 20 20:23 BST (UK) »

I would be able to find out definitively, I assume, by consulting the Deeds which would show the first owners post construction, and possibly the original address, but these are currently held by the Building Society.
[/quote]

Have you checked  https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-property-and-land

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 September 20 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you, yes I have seen that site and indeed bought a copy of the plan the other day.

You can only obtain information about owners since 1993 though - not as far back as the original owners in 1937.

I think the Deeds themselves will show all owners, I can recall the Deeds of my father's house showing everybody.

I walked down Hutchcomb Road today and was able to see the difference in ages/styles of house from the top (Cedar Road) which are similar to the rest of the Elms Estate, built in the 1930's, and the more modern houses in Hutchcomb Road itself down to the junction with Springfield Road.  These must have been built rather later.

After the junction with Springfield Road, the houses in Hutchcomb Road change again and revert to the same style as the rest of the estate, probably 1930's, as it continues.

I had never looked in so much detail before, and whilst my original query hasn't been resolved, it certainly has shown me much more about the local area and its history.

Thank you for your interest!
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 09:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. about the Land Registry site only covering 1993 on - a useful snippet.

Good luck with the search