Author Topic: Y DNA no surname  (Read 875 times)

Offline Hopefulone

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Y DNA no surname
« on: Saturday 12 September 20 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hello fellow Rootschatters

We have a Y DNA test but no surname to go on as bio father is unknown.

Does anyone know the best way forward to help unravel a 60 year old mystery?

Thanks in advance - H.

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Y DNA no surname
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 September 20 21:42 BST (UK) »
Have you joined the project for the haplogroup you belong to? Administrators are very helpful. There are groups on FTDNA and there are Facebook groups. If you are looking for a surname, autosomal should be more helpful as Y-DNA can be many thousands of years before surnames, whereas autosomal only goes back two or three hundred years.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 September 20 23:05 BST (UK) »
What level did you test at?

ie 37, 67 or 111?

The first 2 , while interesting , can only provide so much information.

Without wanting to 'shill' for bigger more expensive tests ; you may need to if you wish to drill down to find an unknown paternal line.

I took the 67 test and havent found anybody I could closely connect within the last 200 years. Doesnt mean the test wasnt valuable to me as its for future reference but I was underwhelmed with the results to be honest

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 September 20 23:45 BST (UK) »
Also dont get tied up by how many matches you have to one particular name - all that could mean is more people have tested with that name

ie I have 10 x Guthries but on further looking they are all descended from one line in the USA 1760s  ( I am in Australia 1850s) -

As an aside my last match was May 2019 - until the algorithm spots I have had a look and I bet I have 2 more 'matches'  in the next week

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Scott, Cronin

Offline Hopefulone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 September 20 09:18 BST (UK) »
I haven't joined a haplogrup project yet, I need to read up on it a bit more. It's in my list.

Y DNA tested originally at 37 but upgraded to 111.
One match showed at 67 with a 7g distance.
I didn't quite understand your last comment DavidG02...
...As an aside my last match was May 2019 - until the algorithm spots I have had a look and I bet I have 2 more 'matches'  in the next week...
Could you please explain for me. H

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 September 20 10:00 BST (UK) »
I haven't joined a haplogrup project yet, I need to read up on it a bit more. It's in my list.

Y DNA tested originally at 37 but upgraded to 111.
One match showed at 67 with a 7g distance.
I didn't quite understand your last comment DavidG02...
...As an aside my last match was May 2019 - until the algorithm spots I have had a look and I bet I have 2 more 'matches'  in the next week...
Could you please explain for me. H
Just a throwaway about my initial expectations versus what I am finding with Y-DNA testing at higher levels

I have many 12 STR matches but no 37 , 55 at 25 marker level and 1 with 5 distance

I havent had a 25 (or more ) match since May last year

Scott, Cronin

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 September 20 10:22 BST (UK) »
I agree with Clayton.

You don’t need to take purchase another test kit - your previous test can be used for the Autosomal test, though the usual cost applies I think.

Did you test with FTDNA? If so you can upload your autosomal raw data to other sites like My Heritage, pay a bit more to unlock the useful features, then see what results come in.

You are looking for paternal matches - so if you have a close maternal relative who can also test, you will be able to eliminate the maternal matches and concentrate on your paternal matches. It is almost guaranteed that you will have matches.

People often do have success tracing unknown fathers and grandfathers using Autosomal DNA tests.

Offline Hopefulone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 February 21 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hey Ruskie, I'm still trying to learn more about this. We've  tested a maternal relative so can eliminate  common  matches.  But I'm not clear  on your  suggestion  to unlock useful  features. At the moment autosomal matches are problematic  as they are low confidence or trees are either  very small/private or administrator  doesn't visit the account. Any suggestions welcome.  H

Offline JohnDoe2020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 February 21 23:26 GMT (UK) »
You will need to use ATdna to work with matches and leads. You will end up using the Ydna for verification when you find a likely match or offspring of a likely match. Use shared matches to define the different branches of families, separating known relationships on the mothers side of the family from others. It will be work but it is very possible to solve the missing parent.