Author Topic: Staying safe ....my place  (Read 5500 times)

guest189040

Re: Staying safe ....my place
« Reply #27 on: Monday 14 September 20 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

Chris here from South Australia.

I feel sooooo lucky!

We have not had any cases in my area of Aussie, a small population and strict border controls between us and Victoria (who have a new surge and in lockdown). The border is close by.

Life for me is on a small farm, tending animals and garden which will be fairly self sufficient as the weather warms up.
I can have my family here and return their visits.
My thoughts are with you all, and hope things get much better for everyone.
🤞🥰
Cheers
Chris
Idyllic

Spare a thought for my Niece and her partner.

They live in central Melbourne.

Will she social distance, no.

Does she care about anyone else, no.

All she is interested in is having a good time and she is neigh on 40.

It would not surprise me if she was not the centre of the any peak in cases.

Offline chrissiecruiser

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dora Berg (12/5/1893-8/10/1916)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 14 September 20 22:27 BST (UK) »
Ohhh, Biggles50,

Why don't people WAKE UP!

I have friends in Melbourne too but they are also in their 70's and they are isolating for a second time.

Police are patrolling, arresting, incarcerating protestors, but there is a ground movement saying their "rights" are being eroded.
We goodies stay home protecting our "rights" therefore never being heard.
Now businesses are stomping their feet at the premier, as is the Prime Minister.
Victoria had new cases down to 35 yesteday and they reckon that's nothing, however deaths still up.
They want to save commerce, I get that.   How do we balance it though?
Chris
Berg - Uppsala, Sweden
Bissett - Scotland
Butler - Yorkshire
Butt - Dorset
Butterworth - Yorkshire
Cave - Somerset
Darby - Somerset
Grierson - Scotland
Kruger/Krueger - Prussia, Germany
Lecher - Cottbus, Brandenburg, Germany
Levick - Nottinghamshire, UK
Molde - Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark/Germany
Oram - Wiltshire & Somerset, UK
Randell - Devon, UK
Savren - Dorset, UK
Weilbach - Denmark & South Africa
Williams - Cornwall, UK

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:56 BST (UK) »
There are plenty of people who think the majority of mankind are being conned and that the coronavirus warnings are a hoax. I'm having a hard time persuading a relative to believe the experts and not the paramedic she keeps quoting.  I see the massive amazon organisation is advertising a book on the subject !

"Buy The Great British Coronavirus Hoax by Kollerstrom, Nicholas (ISBN: 9781916182158) from Amazon's Book Store. Everyday low prices and free delivery on ..."
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 16:02 BST (UK) »

By what right do nonentities like Hancock make edicts governing how you live your life, and seemingly change these pettifogging rules on a daily basis? Where is Parliament? We no longer appear to live in a democracy.

If the government really cared about us, they'd have given over track and trace to local areas to administer by now instead of putting it into the hands of private set ups owned by people of their own ilk.

I'm not advocating attending raves or street parties, really I'm not.

Matt Hancock has been ticked off by Mr Speaker for the way the latest change was announced.
Covid-19 emergency legislation was initially for 6 months. It has to be put before Parliament soon for renewal. Govt. originally proposed that the legislation remained in force for longer but Opposition wouldn't support that idea.

A BMJ opinion  blog about contact tracing.
"Best practice in contact tracing: How should an effective system be organised?"
https://blog.bmj.com/bmj/2020/09/08/best-practice-in-contact-tracing-how-should-an-effective-system-be-organised/

My raving days are past, I regret to say.
Cowban

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 16:26 BST (UK) »
"Staying safe ... my place"?
No one, except months ago, a Heating engineer, has crossed our doorstep.
Reliable doorstep deliveries of milk and newspapers.
Frequent (distanced, of course) chats with neighbours outside.
At start couldn't get any online grocery deliveries, so simply I had to go and do the shopping in person. OH drives out - and delivers me to Supermarket, etc., and I go round, do the shopping, load it into the car, and he drives back. Only time he really gets out, and he really misses not driving all over, as he usually does, so we use a supermarket a bit further away than our old one, and a circuitous route back unless I've bought frozen food.
Cat litter etc via Amazon or similar.
'Phone contact with assorted friends on a fairly regular rota, to keep up with each other. Letters etc to a few very elderly, as well, who really seem to appreciate this.
Not a meal out, or evening out  since original lockdown started. Perhaps too much food ( and alcohol) consumed over the period.
Fallen into habit on fine evenings of having pre-prandial drink in back garden at same time as one solo neighbour, we raise our very different glasses to each other before we go into our own houses to eat. Quite a few household jobs removed from the backlog, some are years back.
Our garden has been brilliant this summer, now it going to start winter far more tidy than it usually does. Feasting on grapes and other produce at present.
Cats have appreciated - we think- having door opening / food providing staff on 24 hour duty.
Loads of time spent on pc's possibly largely trivial and wasted, but also some good sessions of research.
Hate wearing masks, but fiddled about with a few until worked out design that fitted and worked, for both of us, then settled down to making a supply for washing and wearing. Stocks of gloves also purchased for me.
Maintaining larger than usual stocks in of many household items "Just in case...", and also rather more time to spend on cleaning, so house possibly cleaner now than formerly.
As far as possible, try to keep own counsel on sillier and contradictory pronouncements of Powers That Be, keeping quietly safe, and as secure as this mad world will allow us to be.
-All in the hope of someday seeing a light at the end of the tunnel that is NOT and oncoming train.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 18:46 BST (UK) »
Listening to Lenny Henry sketch show on Radio 4. One of his characters is an OAP in care home. "We knew all about social distancing when were young - went to a social, kept your distance or you got a slap."
Cowban

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 23:13 BST (UK) »
Listening to Lenny Henry sketch show on Radio 4. One of his characters is an OAP in care home. "We knew all about social distancing when were young - went to a social, kept your distance or you got a slap."

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
lol - the old ones are always best.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 23:28 BST (UK) »
"Staying safe ... my place"?
No one, except months ago, a Heating engineer, has crossed our doorstep.
Reliable doorstep deliveries of milk and newspapers.
Frequent (distanced, of course) chats with neighbours outside.
At start couldn't get any online grocery deliveries, so simply I had to go and do the shopping in person. OH drives out - and delivers me to Supermarket, etc., and I go round, do the shopping, load it into the car, and he drives back. Only time he really gets out, and he really misses not driving all over, as he usually does, so we use a supermarket a bit further away than our old one, and a circuitous route back unless I've bought frozen food.
Cat litter etc via Amazon or similar.
'Phone contact with assorted friends on a fairly regular rota, to keep up with each other. Letters etc to a few very elderly, as well, who really seem to appreciate this.
Not a meal out, or evening out  since original lockdown started. Perhaps too much food ( and alcohol) consumed over the period.
Fallen into habit on fine evenings of having pre-prandial drink in back garden at same time as one solo neighbour, we raise our very different glasses to each other before we go into our own houses to eat. Quite a few household jobs removed from the backlog, some are years back.
Our garden has been brilliant this summer, now it going to start winter far more tidy than it usually does. Feasting on grapes and other produce at present.
Cats have appreciated - we think- having door opening / food providing staff on 24 hour duty.
Loads of time spent on pc's possibly largely trivial and wasted, but also some good sessions of research.
Hate wearing masks, but fiddled about with a few until worked out design that fitted and worked, for both of us, then settled down to making a supply for washing and wearing. Stocks of gloves also purchased for me.
Maintaining larger than usual stocks in of many household items "Just in case...", and also rather more time to spend on cleaning, so house possibly cleaner now than formerly.
As far as possible, try to keep own counsel on sillier and contradictory pronouncements of Powers That Be, keeping quietly safe, and as secure as this mad world will allow us to be.
-All in the hope of someday seeing a light at the end of the tunnel that is NOT and oncoming train.

I found myself nodding at all your points and it came to me that I really should update my telephone "friend & relative list.   Not that it would have made a difference today when I tried to do some telephone banking (our clerks are working from home)  and put the phone down after an hour without having spoken to a human voice - do these large concerns realise that eighteen pence per minute x 60 minutes is a huge amount to pay without receiving a service   After I put the phone down I decided to leave a message on the bank's FB page and saw that a recently posted message stated the poster was still hanging on after waiting two hours for a human voice to speak with him.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 15:33 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty much living as we were in lockdown, other than girls being back at school.  Work, food, stuff in house and garden. Won't be changing any time soon.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others