Author Topic: Staying safe ....my place  (Read 5526 times)

Offline chrissiecruiser

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dora Berg (12/5/1893-8/10/1916)
    • View Profile
Staying safe ....my place
« on: Sunday 13 September 20 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

Chris here from South Australia.

I feel sooooo lucky!

We have not had any cases in my area of Aussie, a small population and strict border controls between us and Victoria (who have a new surge and in lockdown). The border is close by.

Life for me is on a small farm, tending animals and garden which will be fairly self sufficient as the weather warms up.
I can have my family here and return their visits.
My thoughts are with you all, and hope things get much better for everyone.
🤞🥰
Cheers
Chris
Berg - Uppsala, Sweden
Bissett - Scotland
Butler - Yorkshire
Butt - Dorset
Butterworth - Yorkshire
Cave - Somerset
Darby - Somerset
Grierson - Scotland
Kruger/Krueger - Prussia, Germany
Lecher - Cottbus, Brandenburg, Germany
Levick - Nottinghamshire, UK
Molde - Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark/Germany
Oram - Wiltshire & Somerset, UK
Randell - Devon, UK
Savren - Dorset, UK
Weilbach - Denmark & South Africa
Williams - Cornwall, UK

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Staying safe ....my place
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 20 09:05 BST (UK) »
Morning Chris
It’s so interesting to hear about someone else’s life at the moment, yours sounds lovely.

My heart has sunk this morning as the reality of the rule of six, which comes into force today, dawns on me.
I know it’s ridiculous but it feels a bit like when the teacher used to punish the whole class for one person’s misdemeanour when no one would own up. :D

I have been so careful and had only just made tentative small steps into the outside world again.

Oh well it’s all for the best.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Staying safe....my place
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 September 20 09:15 BST (UK) »
QUOTE:
Oldfashionedgirl:
"I know it’s ridiculous but it feels a bit like when the teacher used to punish the whole class for one person’s misdemeanour when no one would own up."

If people were banned from travelling from one end of the UK to the other for holidays, (and flying heaven knows where too,) we would be in a far better position, and we might not be in a situation where legally, we can be indoors with 100 people, but we can't be in a garden with 7 others.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 September 20 09:20 BST (UK) »
legally, we can be indoors with 100 people, but we can't be in a garden with 7 others.

This is my biggest issue with the rule of six.  How can they actively encourage people to eat out and go back to the office when they consider it 'dangerous' to meet up with family in your own home or garden?  We could be in an office with 100 people but can't all meet up during the lunch break at the pub or even in the park.  It makes no sense.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline chrissiecruiser

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dora Berg (12/5/1893-8/10/1916)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 September 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Oldfashionedgirl,

Firstly, my heart breaks for you all and wish you well.

I'm terrified it will come here as I am in the wrong lot!!!
70yrs 8mths, have had lung problems and brain bleeds etc etc.
Of course it's probably not if, but when.   
Plod along, hopefully getting fitter at the gym twice weekly so that I can take my pony and cart off camping with friends.
Love to you.
Chris
💓
Berg - Uppsala, Sweden
Bissett - Scotland
Butler - Yorkshire
Butt - Dorset
Butterworth - Yorkshire
Cave - Somerset
Darby - Somerset
Grierson - Scotland
Kruger/Krueger - Prussia, Germany
Lecher - Cottbus, Brandenburg, Germany
Levick - Nottinghamshire, UK
Molde - Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark/Germany
Oram - Wiltshire & Somerset, UK
Randell - Devon, UK
Savren - Dorset, UK
Weilbach - Denmark & South Africa
Williams - Cornwall, UK

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 September 20 09:41 BST (UK) »
I know it’s necessary and for the best but I have really reached my lowest point in all of lockdown. I have abided by the rules and made the best of it and just got on as best I could.

I have not been on a bus, in a cafe, pub , restaurant or supermarket since March.

I host a weekly craft evening with 3 other girlfriends, we had only just resumed last month. We are of huge social and emotional support to each other and I’m going to miss it.

Truly I feel total lockdown would be easier, at least you know what you can and can’t do !  :(

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 September 20 09:56 BST (UK) »
So nice to hear some news from Australia, and that re Covid 19 it is good in a bad situation.
You had the fires which concerned us very much and about which we could really do nothing but send kind words and hopes.
Now you send kind thoughts to us in return, thank you very much.

I am lucky in that I see people passing ,I am the end house and a little lane much used as a short cut passes the full length of my rear garden.
So lots of short chats which is pleasant.
My son lives in what at the moment is the highest number per 100,000 cases in the country ,so perhaps won’t be able to come this week with fresh shopping otherwise I shop online now ,so handy.
The winter will be hard , am supposed to go to my daughter’s for Christmas .We try to all get together ,two sons and wives ,daughter and husband and my two grandchildren and a little spark of delight ,great grandson aged four.
But I can see travel being restricted ,son in law phoned to assure me he would pick me up ,so no train travel etc but I can see restrictions if this is not under better control and stupid selfish people, mixed messages etc all make it unlikely there will be a swift end to this.
The rules contradict ,as has been explained.
So really I am in lockdown still .
Thanks again, all good wishes ,really nice to hear from you.
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 September 20 09:57 BST (UK) »
No more than 6 Oldfashionedgirl. So you can have 4 at your craft sessions.
Enjoy!  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 September 20 10:09 BST (UK) »
What doesn't make sense is that the six that can meet inside can now be from 6 different households, whereas formerly it was restricted to two households. This gives a greater chance for people to go home and spread it to more households if one of the group were infected.

Our U3A family history group has 4 members and meets in the leader's house, but because we are all different households we could not meet even though the number is less than six. But now, with cases rising in our area -as they are all over the country, we could legally meet again. Unlikely though, as we are elderly and some may have medical conditions which make them particularly vulnerable.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott