Author Topic: Staying safe ....my place  (Read 5499 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Staying safe ....my place
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 September 20 10:13 BST (UK) »
As many will know, I live on the Isle of Man where we have had just 1 Covid case since 20th May.
Our borders are locked down; but Manx residents can leave. Just need forms to be signed and permission sought to return ;D Followed by 14 days self-isolation.

No face masks here; no social distancing required. No Rule of 6 ;D

Punishments for transgressing the rules can involve jail for the worst offenders.
A Bulgarian chap went back to Bulgaria to visit family; went back to work as a restaurant delivery driver after a few days!
Jailed for 8 weeks!
And all the restaurant staff, and customers now have to be tested.

The local theatre is open; most pubs and restaurants are open.
Food & Drink Festival (all local produce) is this weekend.

Just no visitors.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Covid 19....my place
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 September 20 10:21 BST (UK) »
legally, we can be indoors with 100 people, but we can't be in a garden with 7 others.

This is my biggest issue with the rule of six.  How can they actively encourage people to eat out and go back to the office when they consider it 'dangerous' to meet up with family in your own home or garden?  We could be in an office with 100 people but can't all meet up during the lunch break at the pub or even in the park.  It makes no sense.

Rishile

The whole point of this seems to be being entirely missed and overlooked here. 

In your own home and garden who is there to monitor the situation - nobody, so after a few drinks social distancing might well go out the window.

In a restaurant, pub etc it is a requirement for those proprietors to ensure that social distancing is adhered to both by the set up of the furniture etc and by monitoring during the gathering.

So it is felt it is safer to allow people to meet up in organised environments although obviously this isn't regularly policed whereas people meeting socially might be inclined to unintentionally go beyond the rules.

The 'dangerous' element is the non regulation of the situation in private homes and gardens.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 September 20 10:27 BST (UK) »
Sadly not Mousehowse as in Scotland it’s only two households and we are 4  :(

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 14 September 20 10:56 BST (UK) »
My daughter's friend has 4 children but was determined her youngest would have a birthday party so dad will be taking the 3 older children out while the birthday girl can party with mummy and 4 friends,then have a family party later.

We've got to try & be creative so we don't let it get us down. I was very low recently but I'm trying to be more positive. We can't change the situation but we can change how we think of it - & it WON'T be forever.

Although..... I just had my flu jab - as usual arm hot, sore and swollen for several days, flu like symptoms for a couple of days - I dread to think how I would react to a Covid vaccination  ;D
(won't stop me having one though  ;) )
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 14 September 20 11:19 BST (UK) »
legally, we can be indoors with 100 people, but we can't be in a garden with 7 others.

This is my biggest issue with the rule of six.  How can they actively encourage people to eat out and go back to the office when they consider it 'dangerous' to meet up with family in your own home or garden?  We could be in an office with 100 people but can't all meet up during the lunch break at the pub or even in the park.  It makes no sense.

Rishile

Six in England is a deliberate attempt to stop gatherings of people inside / out (of more than 6) where at some we have all seen Social Distancing go out the window. It also comes with new Legal powers and Enforcement.

Pubs, Shops, Restaurants, Hotels, permitted Venues, Workplaces and Offices should all still be abiding and managing Covid Rules that were put in place as the UK Lockdown was released.

Many UK establishments took or had health advice and some have been getting visits from Local Authority Public Health Officers especially where a complaint suggests they have failed to comply or manage their premises or people safely.

Quite a lot of UK premises and places are regulated by Law for Health and Safety ...
HSE https://www.hse.gov.uk/legislation/acts.htm

I hope that goes some way to answer the difference between regulated premises and unregulated gatherings (now restricted by English Law) where we have seen Social Distancing go out of the window sometimes.

It is a pity that some private, public gatherings or illegal gatherings and raves have failed to make any attempt to try and keep their visitors and attendees safe.

Mark

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 September 20 12:37 BST (UK) »
I've often wondered why we British (and I include Scotland etc - yes, even the smug IoM in this - seem to be so quick to obey rules and regulations, even though a lot of the time they make little sense (as illustrated by the preceding posts)?

Like most people, I started out thinking lockdown etc was for my own good as well as that of the nation and kept to the ''rules' but now I've had enough of all this chopping and changing; total government ineptitude and I openly say: who on earth is going to notice if you have 7 people in your house at Christmas or any other time? Unless we all turn 'informer' as in a true police state! (covid wardens?!?)

By what right do nonentities like Hancock make edicts governing how you live your life, and seemingly change these pettifogging rules on a daily basis? Where is Parliament? We no longer appear to live in a democracy. They saw how compliant we all were during lockdown and are now taking advantage. We are being restrained. We are being tricked and bullied. Its a slippery slope.

I know I keep banging the same drum, and will continue to do so when people just shrug their shoulders and say things like 'its for the best'. Says who?

I read posts on here and see that many are genuinely afraid of the virus but just as afraid of contravening these ridiculous 'rules'. My heart does go out to them but I also want to shake them into seeing what is really going on.

If the government really cared about us, they'd have given over track and trace to local areas to administer by now instead of putting it into the hands of private set ups owned by people of their own ilk. Even after all these months of the whole thing being a complete mess, they won't even consider it! There must be money to be made by people with names like Dido!! We are, and always will be to these people, mere 'cannon fodder'.

I'm not advocating attending raves or street parties, really I'm not. I know we have to be sensible for our own good, but neither am I happy to just obey incompetence. I don't think I'm alone in this - I can see trouble ahead if these politicians don't pull themselves together and stop trying to turn us into a dystopian 1984.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 September 20 12:39 BST (UK) »

The whole point of this seems to be being entirely missed and overlooked here. 

In your own home and garden who is there to monitor the situation - nobody, so after a few drinks social distancing might well go out the window.

In a restaurant, pub etc it is a requirement for those proprietors to ensure that social distancing is adhered to both by the set up of the furniture etc and by monitoring during the gathering.

So it is felt it is safer to allow people to meet up in organised environments although obviously this isn't regularly policed whereas people meeting socially might be inclined to unintentionally go beyond the rules.

The 'dangerous' element is the non regulation of the situation in private homes and gardens.

Pheno

Gatherings in a garden, or inside for that matter, do not necessarily involve ‘a few drinks’.  Whilst I can see that there is a need for one fixed number so that there is no confusion, I still think that the other allowed meetings - schools, restaurants, pubs, and work do diminish the power of the requirement.

I have just been on an essential visit to my local town centre. We are still under greater restrictions than other places, I think, but who knows.
We passed a Covid testing centre where the queue wound round and then up the street.
Most (of the few) people in the shopping centre wore masks but as the tram passed it was evident that several passengers did not wear masks and the tram was quite full.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 September 20 12:52 BST (UK) »
Gatherings in a garden, or inside for that matter, do not necessarily involve ‘a few drinks’.  Whilst I can see that there is a need for one fixed number so that there is no confusion, I still think that the other allowed meetings - schools, restaurants, pubs, and work do diminish the power of the requirement.

Of course they don't have to involve drinks, but even so, for whatever garden or inside gathering in a private home its quite likely that someone would say 'oh come and look at this photo I have on my phone' or something similar and before you know it 8 people would be in a huddle and then forget to move away etc  Under this rule at least it will be only 6 people who unintentionally stray.

The supposition is that if that sort of thing were to occur inside an establishment, a café for instance, the proprietor would step in to break up the huddle.

That's the theory behind it - does it work, probably not.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 September 20 13:01 BST (UK) »
I thought it was just me— old lady of the generation that respected any authority ,even without any surveillance.
The generation which at school could be relied on to get on with our work quietly staying our our seats etc when teacher had to leave the room .
Who never took off your school hat even when in the second bus home from school
Who would have seen us without our hats ?
But  that  was not the point .
We obeyed.
Things have changed so much ,but I totally agree ,the mixed messages, very confused limits , conducive to flaunting the rules .
It is not good ,not good at all.
However , I will stay in lockdown ,that is the easiest for me.
I truly am glad I am not young with a family.
But I never thought my last years would be without my family , they are obeying the strictest conditions ,even though for one a thriving flourishing business is in jeopardy.
And that means a loyal skilled team who are like part of the family will go down as well.
Things ,however mixed and confusing ,
are not helped by selfish people ,the surge in Bolton ,the highest per 100,000 in the country , has been traced to three pubs and returning holidaymakers who did not self isolate on return.
Those sort of incidents prove lockdown was eased far too soon.
Horse gone and stable door !
Viktoria.