Author Topic: Jessie Colvin of Craigielands, aunt of sugar MacFies of Clermiston  (Read 438 times)

Offline gorse44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jessie Colvin of Craigielands, aunt of sugar MacFies of Clermiston
« on: Monday 14 September 20 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm also new here and I've tried to reply to this a before, but without success. I am researching the life of Jessie Hunter Colvin, 1826-90, who was the daughter of the Rev Robert Colvin, and his wife Marion Laidlaw. Her father wrote the New Statistical Account for the parish of Johnston, Dumfries-shire and she lived with her parents until his death.

As the eldest unmarried daughter, Jessie then looked after her mother, until Marion died, and then went to keep house for her brother William. He was an iron and steel merchant, who bought Craigielands estate in 1856. She lived with him for many years before moving to Stirling in later life. Jessie was involved in various charities in Stirling, and took part in the local branch of the Scottish Girl's Friendly Society, an 'association for the benefit of the girls of the working class'. 

I know her sisters and nieces made 'good' marriages, and two of her brothers were ministers with large families. However, Jessie never married. I'm trying to find a photograph of her, but this is proving quite difficult.

Her sisteer Elizabeth married a Rev James Goldie, a Presbyterian minister in London. Her sister who married into engineer Alexander Buttery, had no children. Her brother William died unmarried, so her two minister brothers are the most likely families to have images of her. Her youngest brother, was Rev Robert F Colvin, of Kirkpatrick Juxta parish, whose church she attended while living at nearby Craigielands.

A niece, Mary Ramsay Colvin, married William MacFie of Clermiston House, Edinburgh, in 1872. He was one of the well known 'Sugar MacFie' family of Leith. Mary R Colvin was daughter of the other minister brother, Rev  Walter L Colvin of Cramond, also in Edinburgh.

I'd love to find any pictures of Jessie Hunter Colvin, as I'm hoping to compile a short local history article on her. Thanks to any one who can help.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie Colvin of Craigielands, aunt of sugar MacFies of Clermiston
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 20 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

Not sure if you have this already , but there are a coulple of items(dated 6th December 1890) for Jessie Hunter Colvin in the Wills section of Scotlandspeople.
Jessie Hunter Colvin , died 5th October 1890 Stirling.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline gorse44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 September 20 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes, thanks, the wills are one of the main sources of my family info on her, along with Fasti Ecclesianae (the names and backgrounds of hundreds of CoS ministers, a great source). It's specifically a picture of Jessie that I'd love to find. She leaves pictures of her parents, the minister Rev Robert Colvin and Marion Laidlaw, to various nieces and nephews. I've tried Dumfries Archives, but they don't have anything. It does seem strange that a fairly prominent clerical family doesn't have any pictures, as usually local clergy are well photographed!

gorse44

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 September 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
You might find a photo in the British Newspaper Archive. https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

If not there, likely a library in the area where she lived and where she was most active as a community volunteer.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline gorse44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 September 20 18:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Don, that's kind of you. I have a personal subscription to British Newspaper Archive and access to the other major similar archive. I've looked everywhere, to be honest, and Jessie died too early to appear in newspaper photos. Rootschat is my last chance to trace one of her collateral descendants who may have a photo, I think!

I know some of her nieces died unmarried before WW2, so there's no point in trying to trace them. I'm not a professional genealogist, but I'm satisfied that I've looked everywhere that they would, including local and national archives, museums, libraries, anywhere labelled 'special collections', and so forth. The Girls's Friendly Society records which would have mentioned Jessie Colvin are in a private collection of someone who cannot be traced as they've moved, and the National Register of Archives of Scotland can't pass on their last contact information from the 1990s. (Computer privacy legislation). So, I'm really stuck!

I was hoping that a descendant of the Colvins or the sugar MacFies might have some pics of Jessie, or other siblings - there were 7 children altogether.
Thank you again for your suggesions.