Author Topic: Kenneth Evans Cory  (Read 214 times)

Offline Evan Cory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kenneth Evans Cory
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much.

Yeah I was hoping we were related to Sir George Cory who it was named after. That would be an interesting story. :)

My father and his brother are convinced their dad was from Wales or his Grandfather was. So I have been trying to look for people who arrived in Algao Bay either with sons or alone but still be old/young enough to have a son in 1914. That was a rabbit hole of note.

But I take that with a pitch of salt as they argue whether there was a Granny Blue or Brown or Black.....they know its a colour. Now that I found  Marguerite Brown they convinced their is an Aunty Blue....sigh.

Offline Evan Cory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:06 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this on Wikitree https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Cory-941

I have yes. Des Lynch came from my Moms side so it stops at Kenneth....AGAIN. :)

Funnily enough I used to clean that grave as a youngster for my dad. Marguerite my gran and Dennis my uncle are right next to it. All three in a row. Its kinda what put me on this path a few years ago. But gave up after we could not go past Kenneth. I know of 3 other cousins who started and gave up. :( But I am not this time.

Offline Evan Cory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:10 BST (UK) »
Looks like Hilton moved to Joburg where his second wife died.
DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 10229/75                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          CORY, RUBY ISABEL. (BORN BASSETT).                                   
STARTING  19750000                                                             
ENDING    19750000                                                             
REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE HILTON RICHARD CORY.

Well when I showed this to my dad he said "Oh yes she committed suicide." Seems that she jumped off a building in Joburg.

Edit: It would really be nice if he told me these things upfront. :)

Offline Evan Cory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 14:41 BST (UK) »
After a fair amount of Googling and maps I found the house that Trevor Clifford lived in with my Great Gran. I did a Deeds search and found it has been owned by the Church since 1962. I know it was owned by our family in the early 50's so hoping they owned it up till then. I am currently digging to see if we can go further back.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 00:00 BST (UK) »
All the contact details for the various Provincial Archives are listed here http://www.national.archives.gov.za/naairs.htm

The archives in SA are partially closed at the moment so it may take time. The estate file listed earlier in this thread will not be on-line as it is in the Kimberley range and that range is only on-line till the mid 1930's

The other document types are not on-line
Regards
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 06:42 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to Ruby Isabel Cory's estate file https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C339-GV76?i=1947&cat=2272079
 You will need to sign into familysearch to view it
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Evan Cory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 11:30 »
Well it seems Kenneths mom was Elizabeth Lauder or Louder and she died in PE in 1954. So gives me a start.