Author Topic: Kenneth Evans Cory  (Read 972 times)

Offline Evan Cory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Kenneth Evans Cory
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much.

Yeah I was hoping we were related to Sir George Cory who it was named after. That would be an interesting story. :)

My father and his brother are convinced their dad was from Wales or his Grandfather was. So I have been trying to look for people who arrived in Algao Bay either with sons or alone but still be old/young enough to have a son in 1914. That was a rabbit hole of note.

But I take that with a pitch of salt as they argue whether there was a Granny Blue or Brown or Black.....they know its a colour. Now that I found  Marguerite Brown they convinced their is an Aunty Blue....sigh.

Offline Evan Cory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:06 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this on Wikitree https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Cory-941

I have yes. Des Lynch came from my Moms side so it stops at Kenneth....AGAIN. :)

Funnily enough I used to clean that grave as a youngster for my dad. Marguerite my gran and Dennis my uncle are right next to it. All three in a row. Its kinda what put me on this path a few years ago. But gave up after we could not go past Kenneth. I know of 3 other cousins who started and gave up. :( But I am not this time.

Offline Evan Cory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:10 BST (UK) »
Looks like Hilton moved to Joburg where his second wife died.
DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 10229/75                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          CORY, RUBY ISABEL. (BORN BASSETT).                                   
STARTING  19750000                                                             
ENDING    19750000                                                             
REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE HILTON RICHARD CORY.

Well when I showed this to my dad he said "Oh yes she committed suicide." Seems that she jumped off a building in Joburg.

Edit: It would really be nice if he told me these things upfront. :)

Offline Evan Cory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 14:41 BST (UK) »
After a fair amount of Googling and maps I found the house that Trevor Clifford lived in with my Great Gran. I did a Deeds search and found it has been owned by the Church since 1962. I know it was owned by our family in the early 50's so hoping they owned it up till then. I am currently digging to see if we can go further back.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 00:00 BST (UK) »
All the contact details for the various Provincial Archives are listed here http://www.national.archives.gov.za/naairs.htm

The archives in SA are partially closed at the moment so it may take time. The estate file listed earlier in this thread will not be on-line as it is in the Kimberley range and that range is only on-line till the mid 1930's

The other document types are not on-line
Regards
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 06:42 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to Ruby Isabel Cory's estate file https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C339-GV76?i=1947&cat=2272079
 You will need to sign into familysearch to view it
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Evan Cory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 11:30 BST (UK) »
Well it seems Kenneths mom was Elizabeth Lauder or Louder and she died in PE in 1954. So gives me a start.

Offline Evan Cory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 September 20 11:39 BST (UK) »
Still waiting on the Cape Town records to come back to me although I have now got a person to contact directly.

In the interim I found a link to an Aunty Mabel. Some back, sideways, upwards and downwards tracking has led me to Mabel Moriah Grace Baldie (Born Cory) and her sister Lilian Jane Cook O'Connor (Born Cory). Their parents were William and Mary Jane Cory. How they are related to Kenneth I am still not sure but my Uncle and father remember an Aunty Mabel and Aunty Lilian. Coming out of that conversation another memory came through. There was a young lady by the name of Norma Edwards who died of bee stings at an early age (teens) her mom Was Sybil Edwards.They seem to remember an Aunty Sybil also....so another lead.

Offline Evan Cory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 September 20 10:29 BST (UK) »
FOUND HIM!! I believe.

Elizabeth Louder was in fact Grace Elizabeth Lowder. Married to Sydney Richard Cory who committed suicide in 1938......

William Evans Cory and Mary Jane Cory are next to see if Mabel Moriah Cory and Sydney were siblings.