Author Topic: ERNEST(PHILLIP?) HOPE  (Read 2749 times)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ERNEST(PHILLIP?) HOPE
« on: Monday 14 September 20 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
    I have a really tricky bit of research and I thought that someone maybe able to offer me some advice please.  I am researching ERNEST WILLIAM FRANCES HOPE who was born in NSW (Marrickville) in 1890, according to his marriage certificate.

I have found NO birth record for the Ernest W F HOPE here in NSW.  His mother is from family records INDIAN!!  Ernest Phillip HOPE was in the English Army and stationed in India where he met the mother of Ernest W F HOPE. 

I've tried to find shipping records c 1880's - onwards and I cannot find anything.  So frustrating.  I am still trying to find details (if they exist??) of ERNEST P HOPE his Indian wife and when they actually came to Australia, unless she died??? before coming here!!!

There was also a daughter who was killed in a house fire in Sydney, unfortunatey I cannot find a birth (no name) using just the fathers name or death for this child.

5345/1923 HOPE Ernest W F to TOWELL Sarah J (Marriage) No mother on marriage certificate

28676/1952 HOPE Ernest William F IRONWORKER CANTERBURY 62 YRS MARRICKVILLE (no parents listed)

Death and funeral notices, 2nd and 5th columns: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article18284689.

Any suggestions on gathering some more clues would be great as I'm really stuck.  I've tried subscribing to the Victoria roots web mailing list just in case the family arrived in Victoria, but, I have been unable to subscribe to the list for some unknown reason.  Thanks so much for any guidance.  Kindest regards Dianna

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: ERNEST(PHILLIP?) HOPE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 September 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 September 20 23:09 BST (UK) »
Wondering if this is your Ernest HOPE?
NRS-12922-1-[11/16635]-[160] | HOPE, Ernest - Date of Birth 09/06/1890
Series -NRS- 12922 Railway Personal History Cards - Employees born before 1900
https://search.records.nsw.gov.au/primo-explore/fulldisplay?docid=ADLIB_RNSW114393772&vid=61SRA&search_scope=Everything&tab=default_tab&lang=en_US&context=L

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 September 20 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Yes that is possibly him but not much else to go on.  No birth certificate in Australia that I could find so far, unless he was not born in Australia.  Thank you

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 September 20 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Again also he seems to have attempted to join up in WW1 but was rejected.  That could have been really helpful if he had of joined as there would have been some very useful information.  Oh well!!  Thanks Dianna

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 September 20 23:27 BST (UK) »

Can you please list all the information on this certificate -

5345/1923 HOPE  Ernest W F  marr.  TOWELL  Sarah J  @ Rockdale

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 01:15 BST (UK) »
YES:- CERT 05345, 1 MAY 1923.  ST PAUL'S CHURCH, KOGARAH, KOGARAH MUNICIPALITY, CHURCH OF ENGLAND.
GROOM:- ERNEST WILLIAM FRANCIS HOPE, BACHELOR, BIRTHPLACE MARRICKVILLE, SYDNEY NSW
OCCUPATION: METAL WORKER AGE 32 USUAL RESIDENCE BEXLEY, SYDNEY NSW
FATHER:- ERNEST PHILLIP HOPE (DECEASED)
MOTHER:- NOT LISTED  OCCUPATION OF FATHER LABOURER

BRIDE SARAH JANE TOWELL, SPINSTER, BIRTHPLACE HURSTVILLE, NSW OCCUPATION DOMESTIC DUTIES AGE 30 USUAL RESIDENCE BEXLEY, NSW
FATHER: THOMAS TOWELL (DECEASED) STEP MOTHER LISTED FOR MOTHER AS ELLEN RYAN.  HER MOTHER IS ACTUAL SUSAN SPARKES.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 01:16 BST (UK) »
BOTH ERNEST HOPE AND SARAH JANE TOWELL HAD CHILDREN WITH OTHER PARTNERS BEFORE THEY MARRIED EACH OTHER.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 01:26 BST (UK) »

What names do you see for witnesses?

Can you give more details here please....names and birthplace of other children -

"..both Ernest HOPE and Sarah Jane TOWELL had children with other partners before they married each other.."

BDM NSW
26639/1913  HOPE  Daphne T parents  Ernest W /  Adeline R @ Sydney

42046/1915  HOPE  Reginald  P parents Ernest W / Adeline R  @ Redfern

It is difficult to read text which is all upper case. For family history it is useful to use upper case for family names. Otherwise, it is better to use lower case.