Author Topic: Quintin Stewart - Tailor of Maybole- Searching for birth info+  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quintin Stewart - Tailor of Maybole- Searching for birth info+
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 01:47 BST (UK) »
Here is a very typical post from someone with Quintin Stewart in their tree. They are basically looking for the same info I am. They have the unfounded 1747 possible birth as I am sure they gleaned off of other's trees. It's interesting how they say they think Quintin Jr was born in 1781 (which would work age-wise to have Agness in 1802)...but again , no date of birth etc 

Date: March 2010
My second times great grand father, Quintin Stewart was born at Maybole in 1810. his father was Quintin Stewart, born at Maybole in 1781 and died their in 1850, his mother was Janet Graven, born in 1771. Quintin “ 1781” his father was also Quintin born at Maybole in 1747 and died their in 1823. he married Agnes Crawford. I have Quintin “1747” father as John Stewart and his mother as Agnes Mclinteen, but have never found a baptism for Quintin “1747”. All the Quintin Stewart’s were Taylor’s and had a shop in Main Street. If anyone has more information on this Stewart family I would be very pleased to hear from you.

Anyhow, I'm related through Janet Stewart ...not any potential son named Quintin. As interesting as those generations of tailors of that name may be.

Janet married a master weaver named John Orr.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 04:23 BST (UK) »
Getting back on track. Here is a list of all the St***rts born in Maybole from 1740-1755:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X1aLTKpneLj77TPSSX7XlLOIJbw5_98D/view?usp=sharing

Right away you see the interesting one which does not give the child's first name (I will grab the document momentarily to check. It has all the elements for the birth of Quintin Stewart...although it's not 1747. The father is a John and the mother an Agness and the last name while not Mclinteen ...MCRINKIN and MCKRINLE are somewhat similar. Same couple had a daughter named Agness as well as you can see.

Will report back with what the document says.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 05:41 BST (UK) »
The birth doc only names the parents and the mill they resided at and gives birth and baptism dates but oddly they did not record the name as they did with all the other entries. I paid for and checked the next page and it does not continue. Kind of intriguing....

Anyhow ,I can see how  the name Agnes MCRINKIN could be taken for McLinteen ...

Document here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TxGan7XlwiqRxmY7ZICmsCwifDVqt4AZ/view?usp=sharing

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 08:13 BST (UK) »
It's also possible that his age was wrongly recorded in the 1841 census.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 14:51 BST (UK) »
I was disappointed that the name did not continue on the next page...but as I scanned it over i noticed 2 other grandparents randomly on that next one! In fact the birth is the brother-in-law of Quintin. William Crawford , sister of his wife Agness.

Page 2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N3s0elFLpDEfW0liZJ5S181JLlAT0L0z/view?usp=sharing

I did not know Archibald was a barber! Or that his son
was born at 5pm....

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 September 20 18:51 BST (UK) »
Also looking for any info on Archbald Crawford.... I see a birth 06/11/1715 Ayr with parents Hugh Crawford and Elizabeth but I can't tell if its my Archbald. Also there is one that is one 17/09/1709 Irvine with parents Moses Crawford and Janet Allasone...

Any help appreciated

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 April 21 18:44 BST (UK) »
Small update:

I have still be searching for the parents of Quintin Stewart who was born mid-1700's in Ayrshire. Ancestry still recommending to over 100 trees that mother is Agnes McLinteen from Moulin 1712...a name I cannot find anywhere and John Stewart.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I believe I discovered a scanning/translation glitch that makes ancestry think McKrinkin (or a variation of) is McLinteen.

----- STEWART
JOHN STEWART/AGNES MCRINKIN FR135 (FR135)
U
07/12/1740
605/
10 239
Maybole

and a sibling

AGNESS STEWART

JOHN STEWART/AGNES MCKRINLE FR142 (FR142)
F
01/05/1743
605/
10 252
Maybole

I'm not certain the nameless child is Quintin...it could very well be. Or it could be a sibling. I am quite sure the name McKrinkin looks like McLinteen in the way it is written and the swoop from the name above covers the dot of the "i".

Anyhow I had a feeling and while I wait out the months to receive my DNA results I emailed a cousin who has his and asked him simply... can you plug in the name McKrinkin. No explanation.

He gets back to me and says that 8 pages of material came up spanning over 60 individuals. So then I messaged him back to explain why I had asked. It's pretty amazing how DNA can be a powerful tool to back up research you have already been doing previously.

I plugged in the name Agnes McKrinkin (or similar) on SP:

AGNESS MCRINKINE

JAMES MCRINKINE/BETHIA RINNIE FR59 (FR59)
F
29/03/1724
605/
10 90
Maybole

Can't wait to get my own DNA results so I can start searching without having to bother others... I'll update again when I have some more info.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 18:36 GMT (UK) »
 A couple years later... Still searching for Quintin Stewart's parents.

Not much has changed. When I mentioned a cousin above that was showing lots of McKrinkine relatives in the DNA it turns out it was because he clicked "similar names".

Anyhow I have always questioned the peoples trees saying Quintin's parents were John Stewart and Agnes McLinteen. They say John was born in Moulin in 1710 and died in the USA in 1784 but I haven't seen any proof. Interestingly many of the people with Quintin in their trees list the 1740 birth with parents John Stewart and Agnes McKrinkine ...but use the info for Stewart/Agnes McLinteen (both of Moulin and died in USA)

We know Quintin Stewart was a lifelong tailor in Maybole and that his son of the same name was also a tailor. There was a family tailor shop in Maybole.

Just recently I found an obscure document...

Archive reference JC10/19
First name(s) John
Last name Stewart
Place Maybole
Country Scotland
Place as transcribed Toun of Mayboill
Record set Scottish Covenanters 1679-1688

County as transcribed Ayr
Description Tailyeor yr [Mayboill]

* Description – may include occupation or relatives

I'm thinking that this is Quintin's grandfather and the line of tailoring Stewarts in Maybole was longer than previously thought. He could be his father also and THE John Stewart... if he was 55 for his last child Agness in 1743 and 52 for the 1740 birth.

I'm going to keep digging. Anyone with anything to add , it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 February 23 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Moulin and Maybole aren't exactly near one another. I think you'd need some very solid additional evidence before you consider accepting that.

The JC10/9 item looks far more likely.

And forget about online trees on Ancestry or anywhere else. Unless they cite a reliable set of sources that you can use to home in on original documents that verify every step, there is no way of knowing which trees are garbage, and all they will do is distract you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.