Author Topic: Diary Monday 14th September  (Read 434 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary Monday 14th September
« on: Tuesday 15 September 20 07:48 BST (UK) »
Doesn't seem to be started yet....
A glorious sunny day.
We had arrangements to meet one cousin at a village in Devon so I put some beef into the slow cooker and we drove off early so we could enjoy Slapton Sands for a while before the visit.
So beautiful, though I can imagine it is cruel in winter.
We were able to sit out the whole time. Soup and bread for lunch, Lidl's best, very tasty.
A huge green grass hopper, maybe 8cms, landed on the table with such a noise!
The drive back was very busy indeed.
Walked along the front before sunset. A lovely evening, but oh how quickly the nights are drawing in.
Hope you all enjoy your day.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Monday 14th September
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 08:42 BST (UK) »
Lovely to hear from you Mowsehowse.... was too tired last night to write my diary...
Slapton Sands... lovely place we had a wonderful walk there when on holiday a couple of years ago.... very hot day... it had been recommended to us by the place we were staying in... drive along the road past slapton ley up Sands Rd and park near the caravan park... walk back down the road a short way and then follow the path round the ley... sadly we missed a turning somewhere and ended up on a road in the middle of nowhere and did a very big circle to get back to Torcross where we had the best fresh crab sandwich I'd ever eaten! The road was closed so couldn't get through to get to your direction... land slip I think.. beautiful place though..

My day

Shopping day... up and out early... couldn't believe the amount of traffic on the roads compared to a couple of weeks ago... children walking to school ... felt almost normal... except in normal times there's no way I'd be out that early to shop! Couldn't park outside green grocers so continued on to Lidls which for the time of day was busier than my last visit....
chemists  next .. oh dear left reading glasses in the car... get back to car no glasses... ah put them down in Lidls whilst scanning my shopping.... drive back... retrieve glasses..
Waitrose C n C... some items not available... when I arrived asked if wine was in boxes as I'd requested as 4/5 in plastic bag not too safe! No as picked from the shop not the storage area... some items just in baskets as they'd been so busy as the w/e run out of bags ..😱😱 is that the start of more panic buying I wonder as people can see the writing in the wall? ... whilst I'm loading shopping into the car chap comes back with empty wine box AND the box of wine I'd ordered they didn't have.... now they do! Of course I'd have to go to customer service desk to pay for it! Continue to load shopping and when putting other wine in the box .. ( I do buy food as well... not an alcoholic... yet 😂😂) I find two odd bottles not ordered... so into customer services give them back two bottles not ordered but paid for, go and find replacements and pay for other box... all this before 9.15am as well!
Get home exhausted....
'I thought you'd done a runner' says OH
No! I say and explain ....
What you need is a nice cuppa...
I most certainly do!
Next is sanitising all shopping, isolating in the garage etc..... very late breakfast today!
Phone and order all sewing stuff and S paying over the phone and it will be delivered to me so don't even have to go into the shop thankfully...
Sit outside in sunshine just chatting for a while it's a beautiful day not a cloud in the sky...
OH mows the lawns, I have tidy up clean conservatory and pick flowers from the garden to put in big vase... I do love to have flowers in the house...
As we've got friends/ neighbours coming for a BBQ tonight get on with making up chicken kebabs with peppers chorizo and mushrooms then marinade them in a Piri-piri sauce....grate courgette & carrot add pecan nuts, sunflower and poppy seeds, sultanas drizzle over some chilli oil. Next slice up some of our many tomatoes add feta cheese, ripped basil leaves, lots pepper and rapeseed oil... pick raspberries add to lovely English strawberries and blue berries... I've cheated and bought a lemon tart from Waitrose... don't usually do that always make puds but didn't want any left overs!
Sat outside with a cuppa for a while just enjoying the sun
Sanitised downstairs loo in case it's needed...
Shower and ready ....
So lovely to be able to sit out and enjoy the evening... darkness seems to come quite quickly though... our friends... who live in SA over the winter but not going back this year are very concerned about staying here this year... darkness and cold I think is bothering them... they'll not find it easy ... hope it's no time too harsh a one for them..
After they left cleared everything up sat down for a while but came to bed as quite tired!
Wondered how my youngest had got on at school today... first day... my how quickly they're growing up and like many other folk we're not getting to see as much of them and time slips by... how I long to be able to give them a good hug... wonder if that will happen ....

Caroline
That's it for another day...
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 09:34 BST (UK) »
You sound happier Mowse Howse, almost feel disappointed we had to return home on Sunday, such a  beautiful area

Take care

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 10:14 BST (UK) »
I spent the weekend at Hearthstone Edge.
A lovely place ,flowers,trees, a pond, and all you need on your doorstep,literally.
An over the fence chat or two, several nice dogs going for walks ,owners nice too.
Nice meal in the evening and a comfy bed.

I must send Flash Harry something, forgot to ask my daughter yesterday evening if he was alright going in ,he was a bit tearful towards the end of the week as were quite a few other children it seems.
Teacher attributed it to being with parents so much and missing Playgroups etc.
Can’t be tiredness so much with our little one as he has done very long long cycle rides .
Always busy .

Has another best friend as well as Albert, think he is called something like
Bartolomeo, but sadly to FH he is as yet ,Bottomy until he says it properly .
Daren’t laugh dare you.

Daughter’s little dog is finally spayed,had false pregnancies etc and they can’t have the op for a good while after that ,then she would be in season and another wait etc,anyway it is done now.
It is a good time as she and FH are bestest mates ,and she needs to be quiet for a time.
So a full week of quiet and a check up re urinating etc then a gentle regime .
Hope her temperament does not change ,she is so gentle and loving , and
FH has from the start been really gentle and good with her.
Daughter thought to let her have puppies but at six a first litter is a bit much,
she is a small Border Terrier and ,the good temperament dogs were all good
examples of the breed and so had quite big heads.
She was too old for a first litter.Pelvic bones set etc.
Another lovely morning here at Hearthstone Edge .
Another cuppa and then work!
Cheerio, lovely to read of your visits ,hope all is well with you and yours.
All being well , my friend,the one I lived with as an evacuee ,was bsck home yesterday, I did not phone ,it would be a busy emotional day for them all.
A letter ,well phone tomorrow and see if she is clearer in her mind then a letter.
Cheerio folks.
Viktoria.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 10:39 BST (UK) »

Mowsehowse, good to hear about your day, sounds lovely. It certainly is getting dark early these days.

Caroline, what a palaver with your shopping, you must have felt like screaming!

Viktoria, hope FH is okay. Good to hear that your friend is coming home.

Could hardly keep my eyes open last night, hence my being late with my entry.

My day:

Woke up about 4 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep for some time. Was feeling agitated once again, eventually put the light on and read for a while. Back to sleep at about five. Same feelings when I woke again at a proper time. Made a cuppa and put the TV on to try and divert my mind.

Left it too late to go out in the morning, wasn't hungry as I was still feeling edgy but had a sandwich. I had a parcel that needed to be returned, my nice neighbours would have done so but I'd decided that I was going to take it myself. I can't avoid real life for ever and the loss of my independence has been hard for me to deal with.

Hot and sunny today, set off across the field to walk to the petrol station in the nearby village. Crossed the railway bridge then past the fields where a harvester was cutting the corn, could see the sea  sparkling beyond the fields.

A little further on I stopped to read an information board, I suppose I've noticed it before but had never read it. I knew there had been a WW1 airfield where the houses are now but knew very little about the history of  it. Apparently Arthur Roy Brown, the Canadian pilot who was originally credited with bringing down the Red Baron had a terrible accident at the airfield. It was doubtful whether he would survive but he did recover. Also, WE Johns the author of Biggles trained fighter pilots there.  All of the road names there relate to people and aircraft from WW2 although the airfield wasn't used then.

After my history lesson I walked on to the petrol station, put my mask on as I approached. It was quite busy but there was no point in hanging around outside so I went in. Four people in the queue ahead of me, three with masks, the other had just filled up his motorbike so was wearing his helmet. It's not so long ago it wasn't allowed to keep your helmet on when going to pay, so many things have changed. Everyone was properly distanced, both of the staff were wearing masks and were behind a screen. Was soon served and out.

Same walk back, a number of cyclists passed me on my walk , all riding on the pavement. What on earth is that about?

When I got home I sat out in the garden, it was hot on the patio, I even got the parasol out. Read for a while then did some gardening. Wanted to dig some plants out but it was too difficult as the ground was very dry.

I've done more different things in this last week than I have in months  - Tuesday - a long walk with a friend, Thursday - lunch with another friend,  Friday - took my car for MOT,  Saturday - had my hair done, Sunday - friend came and did some work on my car, Monday - walked to petrol station to return a parcel. Oh, musn't forget, had Tesco delivery on Wednesday! Many of these things I haven't done before and were enjoyable , so why on earth do I feel so agitated a lot of the time? Another one of those strange things in these strange times.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 17:26 BST (UK) »
A glorious hot and sunny day.   Sat outside for a while chatting to downstairs neighbour and then at 2.15 headed off for the recycling centre with 2 bags of old clothes to dispose of.   Had to book a slot online last week - not to arrive more than 5 minutes early, give car registration details, colour and make.  10 minutes in centre to dispose of your rubbish.   My slot booked for 2.30, and arrived at 2.25 - 4 vehicles in front of me.   Man at entrance checking car details and when one vehicle exited another was waved in.   By pure chance I'd parked near the textiles bins.   Sign saying only items in a bag could be put in - didn't mention that on their website but luckily mine were in bags anyway.   Had to wear gloves which was understandable.   All in all, was there 10 minutes at most, including the waiting to enter.

On the way home I called into my health centre which has pharmacy next door.   Had a prescription to pick up - parked in car park (only 2 cars there), donned mask and walked round to pharmacy.   No-one in there.   Hands sanitised and item handed to me.   

Once home I intended sitting and enjoying the sunshine but went inside to get a drink and something to eat which I had whilst checking computer and then ended up picking up my knitting so finished up staying indoors.   Forgot about my garden chair outside where it remained all night.

Knitted for most of the evening plus watching tv, preparing meal, etc.   Evening seemed to speed by.

Viktoria, I'm knitting baby jackets, etc. for my pregnant niece who's having twin girls so got to do 2 of everything.

Roobarb - can't imagine how it feels to wake so agitated every day.   Hope it will soon pass.

Take care everyone.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
TWINS, fantastic, double trouble !!

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 17:51 BST (UK) »
Well ,a beautiful sunny day, just as it was in the South of England 80 years ago when one of the most important engagements in WW2 was played out .
The Battle of Britain .
All those young men,some still in their teens, who gave their all.
So many lost  lives.

And here we are in the middle of this pandemic .
I could make comparisons but until something arises you cannot judge the response  can you.
Not much to add to that.
Programmes this evening’s TV.
Viktoria.