Author Topic: Time on your hands!  (Read 2858 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Time on your hands!
« on: Tuesday 15 September 20 08:50 BST (UK) »
Weird dream last night. Whilst looking through the 1939 reg found my ancestor who died in 1836. Woke up this morning wondering who was the oldest person I could find on register with an evidenced birth and death after 1939. As I say do you have time on your hands. Credit for to the winner for all of those who take part.

John

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Time on your hands!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 09:31 BST (UK) »
Oldest I can see is born 1832 and it actually states centerian although a mistake was made at first by writing she was  at school! This lady appears to have died the following year.

( There is an entry where the year of birth clearly shows as 1828 but I cannot see a corresponding death).

I think it is safe to say that someone transcribed as born 1824 and said to be actively seeking work does not count!

William

Added There are a number of articles in the newspaper archive about this lady in 1940 re her celebrating her 108th birthday( she was born during the reign of William IV!) and following her death. One states she was "believed to be the oldest woman in England".
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 18:40 BST (UK) »
Oldest I can see is born 1832 and it actually states centerian although a mistake was made at first by writing she was  at school! This lady appears to have died the following year.

( There is an entry where the year of birth clearly shows as 1828 but I cannot see a corresponding death).

I think it is safe to say that someone transcribed as born 1824 and said to be actively seeking work does not count.
1832 woman was pretending to be a scholar to avoid being called up for war work.
1824 "actively seeking work" was demonstrating willingness to serve his/her country.
 ;)
Cowban

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 18:57 BST (UK) »
Have a look at Mary Davey born 1832 in the deaths index in 1940 and in Sussex newspapers in 1940.  I think you will see that  the crossed out scholar in the 1939 was a rather unfortunate mistake!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 20:38 BST (UK) »
slightly o/t

a neighbour aged 80 - born 1940.

His father was born in 1868 and his grandfather in 1819.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 14:20 BST (UK) »
Wow - so his father was apparently 72 when he was born?  Makes his grandfather positively young at 49 when the father was born. ::)

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 14:54 BST (UK) »
Oldest person I have seen in 1939 was someone aged 104 so born 1835. So if that is accurate, he was born 2 years prior to civil reg. I think back then, even as late as 1939 when it was becoming more required to give DOB, many people knew the day and month of their birthday but the year they were more casual about as they got older, due to ages not being as important back then.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 17:04 BST (UK) »
Wow - so his father was apparently 72 when he was born?  Makes his grandfather positively young at 49 when the father was born. ::)

Highly unlikely but I wonder if anyone living today has a grandparent born in the C18. 
-- pushing it a bit but could be possible.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 17:45 BST (UK) »
I presume you mean the 1800s but for someone to be alive today if born in 1899 they would be 121.  So very unlikely I would think.