Author Topic: John Woodger's Grave  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Woodger's Grave
« on: Tuesday 15 September 20 10:12 BST (UK) »
Morning All,

A few years ago I was researching a relative, John Woodger, one of the men with a claim to being the inventor of the kipper.

I decided I wanted to visit his grave and found a newspaper report describing him being buried in St. John's cemetery in Elswick, Newcastle, the grave he had buried his son in.

I visited a few times but couldn't find the memorial described in the report, a large column. Eventually after conversations with the staff in Newcastle council's bereavement’s office managed to work out where I thought it was but unfortunately it looked like it was right in the middle of the biggest, thickest holly bush I'd ever seen.

I contacted the council again who put me in touch with the bereavement services manager who fortunately agreed that because John was quite a significant figure in the history of the area and because I had tracked it down reasonably close it was worth looking a little closer.

The grounds staff were asked to remove some of the lower branches from the bottom of the bush to see if there was any monuments hidden in there.

I'm pleased to report that the staff have now done that and we have managed to locate John's grave. As you'll see from the attached photo it must have been an awful job but I think they have manage to help uncover a piece of history of the North East.

I have posted the story because I'm hoping people will find it interesting but also so I could publically say thank you to all of the council staff who have helped with this.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: John Woodger's Grave
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:19 BST (UK) »
Well done, without your input it would probably be covered up for some time.   :)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie99, but the council have definitely done the hard bit.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 13:27 BST (UK) »
Your persistance  paid off, well done to you and and St John's cemetery

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 14:09 BST (UK) »
a claim to being the inventor of the kipper.

Definitely deserving of a memorial  :)

Well done   :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annecdfw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 14:17 BST (UK) »
Regarding John Woodger inventing the kipper - I tried to find out more and came across this:

The exact origin of kippers is unknown, although fish have been slit, gutted and smoked for centuries.
According to famed food author Mark Kurlansky, "Smoked foods almost always carry with them legends about their having been created by accident - usually the peasant hung the food too close to the fire, and then, imagine his surprise the next morning when..."
One example of this legendary origin can be found in the story of John Woodger at Seahouses in Northumberland, England around 1843, in which kippering happened accidentally. Fish for processing was left overnight in a room with a smoking stove. We know this to be false because the origin of the word kipper is Old English.
I guess he must just have been a marketing genius!

Offline lcooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 August 22 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,
I am also related to John Woodger. My grandmother was Florence Woodger and her parents were John E Woodger and Mary Jane Hardcastle. It is interesting to see these photos of his grave stone and to hear more information about him.

Lorraine

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 August 22 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorraine,

Lovely to hear from another relative, sorry I didn't reply sooner, for some reason I didn't get a notification you had added a comment.

I have John Edward Woodger born 1870 in Liverpool on my tree but unfortunately I haven't looked any further down that line, I certainly will now though!

As Annecdfw pointed out some websites say he invented the kipper while some don't, as far as I can see it was the use of herring that he seems to have at the very least been one of the early adopters of. I actually found a paper where he was quoted as saying he didn't invent the kippered herring but rather it was one of the ladies who worked for him.

I have to agree with Annecdfw 100% in that he was a marketing genius. Regardless of whether he invented it or not his whole extended family made a very good living from that process for generations to come.

Michael

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 August 22 15:24 BST (UK) »
https://www.heritageopendays.org.uk

Last year John Woodger was included in an exhibition during the Heritage Open Days at the Old Low Lights Heritage Centre on the North Shields fish quay.
It might be worth asking if he might feature again this year.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner