Author Topic: Mysterious gathering in 1851  (Read 2988 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious gathering in 1851
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 15:26 BST (UK) »
was wondering why a Census would only show 15 residents.

Going back to the original image I make it 28 'visitors'.

There are 39 visitors in total, including The Earl of Selkirk, about 56 people in total including servants.

Stan

Maths has never been my strong point, but try as I might I can't see more than 29 people categorized as 'visitors'.

15 on p. 54, 6 on p. 55 and 8 on p. 56

Please tell me where I'm going wrong  :-\

Sorry my mistake, I did not realise there were so many servants  :-[

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 15:31 BST (UK) »
Ah! so it was the 'Quality' who were resident.   I wonder why?
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 15:34 BST (UK) »
Could you perhaps explain what it is about the guests at the hotel that makes you believe they were gathering for a specific event?

Not really, an inkling, I feel it in my water, I'm a naturally suspicious person and I love conspiracy theories.   Was there a JFK type incident in Liverpool at that time, did Jenny Lind appear onstage, was there a Royal Visit, a ship launch or a new rail station opened, or a Festival of some kind.   I don't think people would go to Liverpool unless they had a specific purpose, it's hardly a tourist attraction in the 1850s.
There may be no good reason at all ... but if there was ....

There is nothing outstanding in the newspapers that weekend. Don't forget that Liverpool was a leading port of the British Empire, and was the main port for  transatlantic passenger travel.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 15:39 BST (UK) »
So, why was Wilson & Wilson & Trinder staying at a hotel when they lived nearby.

As the Wilsons were probably father and son why should they not be staying at a nice hotel in Liverpool prior to having work to go to in Liverpool the following week.  In 1851 the rest of the family were at Broughton House, Broughton -by 1861 Edward was living there with his wife and children
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 16:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan ... I checked as much as I could about ship launches, departures arrivals and collisions and nothing of significance emerged. The Marco Polo clipper history was useful and interesting.  Predictable ending though ... wouldn't want to have been their insurer throughout its blighted career.
Well Rosie, I guess you're not into conspiracies, but I wonder why they were there at all as they were practising Solicitors in their home towns, I believe.(without proof)
I refuse to contemplate ' why not ' ... there has to be a reason
keep taking the tablets, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
They had assembled very quietly, at that location, for the sole purpose of confusing their descendants. As well as using as many initials as possible, they dined splendidly on turbot imported (port, you see) followed by wild Venison shipped down from Scotland, and Cornish crab rushed up by sea and rail. The Manchester Tart ( a confection, not a lady of ill repute, I haste to say) was rushed to the venue via rail from Manchester, and a good time was had by all.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 16:44 BST (UK) »
keep taking the tablets,

I hope you are referring to yourself rather than the rest of us  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 16:56 BST (UK) »
I take mine morning and night, noon I choose my own poison.
I reverted to Google and lo! and behold!
Ship events in March 1851.
There are dozens of shipping disasters and many related to ships of the Black Ball Line.   Liverpool figures prominently in some of these tales.  Perhaps all the conspirators were 'names' at Lloyd's and were meeting to agree their losses.   In those days of the clipper ships many were built at St.John's New Brunswick and you may recall one of the guys was from Greenwell NB, and 1 was a shipbuilder.
Ships with a connection to March disasters were; the Annie, the William Wilson, the Sovereign, the Bramwell, the Veloz ( Carrera from Spain was present), and the Eldorado.
and that's not counting the ill-fated Marco Polo
there has to be more to it ...

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 15 September 20 16:58 BST (UK) »
It is all assumption though, I will leave you to prove it.   As for the tablets, I don't take any
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk