Author Topic: Benevolent Victorian era Employer - what's your story?  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: Benevolent Victorian era Employer - what's your story?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 September 20 09:04 BST (UK) »
It is good that some employers had a sense of social responsibility and seemed to genuinely care.  Your ancestors family were very fortunate.

They were indeed fortunate and the two children had opportunities that otherwise would not have been open to them - I have inherited gifts that were given to the youngest child which were obviously much treasured - some inscribed with messages from the employer so we know for example exactly which Christmas it was received.

The youngest child was only a baby when his father died and this caused havoc with my research as I was shown a family tree that he had drawn up - he clearly regarded his benefactor as a father figure but it didn't half confuse me at first! (DNA, photos and lots of documents sorted me out!)

Liz

Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 September 20 09:54 BST (UK) »
How kind of that employer to ensure that your ancestor's children were given opportunities in life.  Also, the gifts must have been so treasured to have survived so long through the years.   Lovely heirlooms for you, especially as you know the story behind these gifts.  I can imagine the employer as a very kind and honourable man taking the family under his wing.  It is hardly surprising that the youngest appears to have viewed him as a surrogate Father, creating some confusion for you.  What a marvellous thing DNA testing is these days for unravelling things!  Thank you for sharing more of the story Liz - it definitely is heart warming!

Erato, I like the new picture up of your 'Head Master' ancestor.  I only wish he had been at a school in my area.  If so, I would have looked up his log books for you.  Not that our archives are open at the moment .. we have also just been placed under lock down again today.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 18 September 20 09:56 BST (UK) »
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/how-escaped-slave-virginia-ended-17017602

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/207593255/mary-ann-blyth

ToTH's reference to the Quakers has reminded me of another example of 'Victorian employer benevolence' in my own area.  Some time back I took a photo for Find A Grave of the newly laid memorial for Mary Ann Blyth nee Macham.   She was a very brave woman who escaped slavery in Virginia, America and came as a stowaway to England and made her way to North Shields.  It is said that she was given a job in the household of a Quaker and that this family and the Quaker community supported her in establishing a new life of freedom in the north east. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 18 September 20 13:24 BST (UK) »
Interesting stories.
Thank you Ladies.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.