Author Topic: Benevolent Victorian era Employer - what's your story?  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Benevolent Victorian era Employer - what's your story?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 21:28 BST (UK) »
My g-grandfather received a "handsome mahogany pedestal writing table, two nicely chased brass candlesticks, an engraved brass card tray and an inkstand" from his employer, the Christ Church Schools, Clifton, when he retired to take up a post as headmaster at another school.  Does that count?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 22:14 BST (UK) »
   I don't think the words "benevolent" and "employer" go together very well in any era. ::)
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 22:27 BST (UK) »
My g-grandfather received a "handsome mahogany pedestal writing table, two nicely chased brass candlesticks, an engraved brass card tray and an inkstand" from his employer, the Christ Church Schools, Clifton, when he retired to take up a post as headmaster at another school.  Does that count?

How lovely, have they survived?

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 23:09 BST (UK) »
Jen: You are welcome.

Erato: I agree with Carol, that does sound like a lovely parting gift.  I hope this survived to be passed down.  As your ancestor was a headmaster - have any of his school log books survived and if so have you been able to see them? 

I have read some log books at schools some of my ancestors attended (as pupils not staff) and these can be fascinating reads.

TotH: That made me laugh.  There is probably a lot of truth in that comment, though.   We shall see - someone might come along and surprise us with a tale of startling benevolence.  Let's see if anything turns up by tomorrow, or next week or next year ..  ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 23:31 BST (UK) »
"have they survived?"

I have no idea.  At any rate, none of the things made it to the US branch of the family.

What is a headmaster's log book?  That sounds like something worth pursuing.  He was headmaster at the St. Mark's Boys' School, Easton, Bristol from 1903-1920 and at the Castle Green Boys' School, Bristol from 1920-1930.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 23:37 BST (UK) »
Yes, I would look into this.  Someone might know if the log books for those schools still exist.

Log books are a bit like diaries.  The head comments on the various things that were going on such as day to day happenings, comments on teachers and pupils, school sickness, war leave, deaths, punishments meted out .. all sorts of things.  And of course, these are all hand written.

One at a school which my Grandfather's cousins attended was particularly fascinating as the Head wrote as if it was his personal diary - he certainly wasn't circumspect but it certainly made for a good read.  Teachers and children were named - no such thing as data protection in the old days.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 23:43 BST (UK) »
From what I understand from my mother, he was a very popular teacher and mostly taught practical arts - printing, engraving, metal working and such.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 23:48 BST (UK) »
That probably explains how he was presented with such a lovely gift.

If you write to the archives near where these schools are/were they might be able to tell you if your ancestor's school log books still exist.  Or if the schools are still around these may have them.

I hope they do.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 September 20 06:49 BST (UK) »
Erato, I think it might have been only state schools (in receipt of grants)who were required to keep log books.  If those schools you mentioned were private schools they might not have kept such books.  It is still probably worth looking into things further just in case.

If your ancestor can be traced to any school, as a pupil teacher, or teacher before he became a headmaster - if a log book was kept at a particular school he will very likely be mentioned in it.  References were often made to new staff coming in about their qualifications and past experience.  I recall in one of our local log books one teacher's interview process was tracked as he was applying for the post of headmaster at another school.  He was successful but sadly went off to the shortly after having resumed a new post and was killed in action.