Author Topic: help with translation of part of an obituary  (Read 2938 times)

Offline maxmissie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help with translation of part of an obituary
« on: Wednesday 16 September 20 16:00 BST (UK) »
Please could someone help with translation of part of this obituary? It's the sentences highlighted in blue.  I've worked out what most of the obituary means in English but can't get these parts to make sense.  Thanks very much.

The original version is from the National Library of Wales: [https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3889541/3889547/50/]

I'm not sure how to insert documents into a post so have attached it so hope it works.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help with translation of part of an obituary
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 18:56 BST (UK) »
My knowledge of Welsh is conspicuous by its absence but I typed the text into an online translator and got this:

No doubt a native speaker would get a more nuanced translation :-)

Boo

Offline maxmissie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo, thanks for the reply, I got a similar result in a few different online translators and whilst I can get the gist of what it says, I can't work out what it actually is meant to mean!  Although you have a different translation for the last sentence from what I found, and yours makes sense so I will use yours instead.  Thanks again.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 21:16 BST (UK) »
You've got a fair bit of metaphorical/religious type language here that doesn;t go through a literal machine translation very well. I'll try my learner's best

By today she has bid farewell to everything, above all no longer suffering from disappointment and affliction. We admire her commendable faithful experience whilst waiting as it were on the waterside to cross to the other side. She longed to go, as she felt it would be better to be allowed to be with Christ

Offline maxmissie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Mabel, that's great, thanks so much for the reply and for the translation.  Whilst I could have tried to cobble together the general meaning I knew I'd never be able to get anywhere close to a proper translation, so thank you again.