Author Topic: A contractor?  (Read 2143 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A contractor?
« on: Wednesday 16 September 20 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hello there, I have John Kemp living in Mortlach (1841 census) and described as a 'contractor'. Can anyone tell me what this might mean??
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A contractor?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
Someone contracted to perform a trade or service?  https://sites.google.com/site/bobsgallowayfamilyhistory/r-old-occupations

Kay

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
Indeed, that must be so, but I was wondering if in this particular area there would be some particular product or trade -- for instance, recently I did indeed have a 'coal mining contractor' in south Wales! I don't know if the 'contracts' might have anything to do with the local distillieries?
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 17:14 BST (UK) »
Sadly I don't think you can tie it to a specific job without more information.  Could it relate to his later job which I think is a Lime Burner  :-\

Kay

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 17:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kay, a good point! I shall have to dig around in the organisation of the lime industry ...

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 17:39 BST (UK) »
A Contractor is another word for a Builder but I didn't think they used term until much later.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 18:00 BST (UK) »
My guess is that the local brickworks, or property tycoon contracted him to supply them with lime.  To supply lime he had to obtain limestone from a quarry, burn it, then put the resulting lime powder into bags, which he would then sell.

I have an old stone built house and the mortar in between the stones is a lime and water mixture.. 
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
It may be worth reading the account of the parish in the Second or "New" Statistical Account of Scotland which was written about that time. You can find it to read on-line.

I happen to have a paper copy of the First or "Old" Statistical Account from the 1790s. It says "And the vast quantities of limestone here would be an exhaustless treasure to the husbandman, if the expense of fuel were not so high, as nearly to prohibit the use of it." The ministers who wrote the Old Statistical Account are always complaining about shortages or expense of fuel. Your ancestor no doubt contracted to supply lime to farmers in the parish or further afield.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 18:14 BST (UK) »
John Kemp's younger brother Peter Kemp was a "Contractor at Lime Works" in 1871 living at Scrathie, Mortlach (where your John Kemp was living in 1841). The Lime Works would be the Richmond Lime Works. In 1851 and 1861 Peter and his family lived at Maltkiln in Mortlach. At other times, he was a labourer, although interestingly in 1891 he is recorded as a labourer working on his own account (rather than an employee). Peter Kemp was married to Ann Watson, "one of mine".

John Kemp's elder sister Margaret Kemp married James Geddes, also "one of mine". He was a crofter but ended up living at Craibston, Deskford where there was well known Lime Works too.

I see that in 1851 and in 1861 John Kemp was a Lime Burner living at Richmond Lime Works.

ScotlandsPlaces has Richmond Lime Works :   named by William Cantlie Keithmore Lessee : descrobed as An extensive lime works held in lease by the Contractor William Cantlie Keithmore and is the property of the Duke of Richmond. This is dated 11 Dec 1869. Perhaps John Kemp was the previous Lessee; perhaps, even, Peter Kemp was the next Lessee after William Cantlie.

That doesn't answer your question as such but I hope it gives an idea.