Author Topic: Mention in Dispatches 1940  (Read 175 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mention in Dispatches 1940
« on: Wednesday 16 September 20 17:12 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find this MiD, which is, apparently listed in WO/373 on The National Archives Website.

The person concerned is Captain Hesketh Adair Ramsden, The Leicestershire Regiment, and there's a date of 20.12.1940 for the London Gazette listing (by which time, unfortunately, Captain Ramsden had been KIA in Norway). 

I must confess I do find The National Archives website something of a challenge!

Can anyone help, please?

Thank you
STG

PS : I have his MC citation from 1918, it's just the MiD one I can't seem to find.
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mention in Dispatches 1940
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 17:25 BST (UK) »
I have found this unreadable version, but I'd like to know what it says!

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 19:45 BST (UK) »
What is/are the last number(s) following the 373/ ?  The name Ramsden and WO 373 does give some returns but not with those fore-names

The 20 Dec 1940 MiD is right.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 September 20 22:08 BST (UK) »
The difficulties about finding Mentioned in Dispatches has been discussed several times before here on Rootschat.
They are listed in the London Gazette, but no information is given about them there, just lists and lists of names, and I see from your post, he would not have been listed anyway.

I think general consensus in the past to find out the reason why a person was awarded Mentioned in Dispatches was to find the war diary of their regiment and examine it to see if the reason is given in it.
These are at Kew, but it would mean a personal visit to look through it, unless you want to pay TNA to look through it and copy it, which I would think would be unimaginably expensive. (That's why I've never found out why my father was mentioned in dispatches! Plus I live on the other side of the world so no chance of a visit).

Added:
Is the image you have from The National Archives? It's terrible!
Do you think there is a reference to Mid in it?
I see the reference you give is a free download  - might be worth trying again.

Good luck!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 September 20 09:44 BST (UK) »
Max and Goldie

The blurred image came from here

https://royalleicestershireregiment.org.uk/entity/116034-ramsden-hesketh-adair-mc?q=

where, as you''ll see, it's been cut off at WO/373/, which is somewhat frustrating (I'm aiming for masterly understatement).

I've tried to narrow down the NA search by adding Norway to the search criteria, but that didn't help much either. 

Thanks
STG

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 September 20 09:54 BST (UK) »
  The LG entry follows the listings of gallantry awards and is preceded by the heading "The names of the undermentioned have been brought to notice in recognition of distinguished services in connection with operations in Norway". 

The entry doesn't use the word despatch although there was only one, dated 13 May 1940 but not published in the LG until 28 May 1946.  This says "I am not delaying this report to include
in it the names of the many different officers and other ranks whose services I desire to bring to your notice and whose names I will forward at an early date."

BUT RESULT

Download the National Archive reference here (note the typo) (free at the moment)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8679407

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 September 20 09:59 BST (UK) »
  The LG entry follows the listings of gallantry awards and is preceded by the heading "The names of the undermentioned have been brought to notice in recognition of distinguished services in connection with operations in Norway". 

The entry doesn't use the word despatch although there was only one, dated 13 May 1940 but not published in the LG until 28 May 1946.  This says "I am not delaying this report to include
in it the names of the many different officers and other ranks whose services I desire to bring to your notice and whose names I will forward at an early date."

BUT RESULT

Download the National Archive reference here (note the typo) (free at the moment)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8679407

MaxD

Wonderful!  Thank you so much

STG

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 September 20 10:52 BST (UK) »
Let us know whether it adds anything (if readable) - too idle to download myself!

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 September 20 11:32 BST (UK) »
Not that much by way of the "action", but it looks as if he was recommended for a Bar to his MC, but "only" got a MiD.