Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 16th September  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 16th September
« on: Wednesday 16 September 20 23:22 BST (UK) »
Was up a bit earlier this morning.  Unlike the Midlands and South we didn't have another warm sunny day,  instead it was cool and grey until mid afternoon when it brightened a bit.  There was supposed to be a flypast in the area of the NHS Spitfire  at about 2pm but sadly it was cancelled due to the weather. Don't know whether it  would  have  been  visible  from here but what a disappointment.

Went for my walk earlier, pleasant out despite the grey weather. Caught up with a few things on the computer,  had lunch early as I was hungry. Then went to get some petrol and to the nurseries for more compost, bulbs and pansies,  also some coloured heathers. Back home,  took one of the huge terracotta pots through to the front,  was heavy even when empty. Planted it up, was to and fro through to the back garden. Was filling the watering can at at the back when I heard NN putting things in the bin at the front,  must have been desperate to see what I was doing. Unfortunately for her she wouldn't be able to see what I had been doing! Finished there and went into the back garden.

Added some pansies to a pot, removed summer bedding from a pot that had been at the front, trimmed and repotted geraniums, hope they grow again next year. Heard a loud knocking then footsteps that sounded like they were on my drive so opened the front of the garage,  the postman startled me, he'd walked along the side of NN's lawn and stepped over her new shrub onto my drive.  Unfortunately in doing so he crushed some of the shrub underfoot that had been hanging over my drive.  I'm not really laughing!  ;D ;D ;D

Did some ironing later, some TV,  had a large glass of wine.  Tired tonight. 

*Added - have just read that Tyneside and Wearside are to be subject to local restrictions.  Pubs to close at 10pm, no mixing with other households.  Also,  public transport for essential use only,  hope this one doesn't have an adverse effect on RTL's journeys to and from work.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 16th September
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 September 20 00:15 BST (UK) »
Well the sunshine here was quite variable today... and it was windy, dull skies overhead so we definitely didn't have warm sunny weather here today...
Roobarb - Glad you've had a productive day with all the planting you've been doing and general tidying up in the garden... did have a little giggle at your postman crushing some of NN bush... serves her right for putting it there... he he!
Oh no not weardale. .... our friends are due to go up tomorrow until Tuesday to scatter his dad's ashes...
yes hope RTL is ok with her bus journeys...

First woke at 5.30 am... then at 7.30.... finally got up just after 8am...
After breakfast decided to do some vacuuming ended up doing whole house dusting too as it was looking a bit thick on the side board 😬
Had some paper work to do .... booked a slot at NT place for tomorrow... Anglesey Abbey, the gardens are lovely at most times of the year... don't think we've been in the autum. The spring is wonderful as they've got a small copse of bleached white birch trees and they look quite spectacular.... then we're going to do something we haven't done since we were in France in January.... have lunch out, there's a local pub nearby and I've checked it out with a phone call.... looking forward to it...
Decided we'd invite two sets of neighbours/ friends over tomorrow evening to share a glass of bubbly and I'll do some light refreshments, so after lunch I wizzed off to Waitrose to buy some... used the quick check app for the first time as it's only the third time I've actually been inside the store since early March..it's very handy... scan the code in the shop then just scan bar codes of items you're buying put straight into your own shopping bag... go to self checkout scan your phone on the screen and just pay... so everything only touched by you and no one else...
Let friends know I'm serving food just incase they get large meal organised...
Daughter phoned to ask if we'd like some visitors over the w/e... of course I said yes! So their coming up on Saturday a/noon and going back after lunch on Sunday... looks like it's going to be a lovely few days...
Thought I ought to get on with some sewing and by end of the afternoon got about 60 ish finished, I think...
Decided to  make a cake and will put lovely mirabelle plum and masala jam as filling ( made by friend whose coming tomorrow evening) just made Victoria sponge....
Dinner was chicken and roasted veg in lemon and herb sauce...
OH watched cricket... with a lot of muttering then we watched couple of episodes of designated survivor and The Crown on Netflix....
That's it for today.... hope weathers going to be ok for tomorrow... doesn't need to be baking hot but some sunshine and calm would be nice!

Take care all
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 September 20 00:34 BST (UK) »
Caroline, from what I've read I don't think the restrictions will cover the Weardale area, it's Wearside, ie around Sunderland.

Your planned day out tomorrow sounds lovely, and followed by what will undoubtedly be a great evening. And a visit from the family too, sounds fantastic, hope you have a wonderful time.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 September 20 02:18 BST (UK) »
Woke up to another sunny day although it clouded over around 4.30 and seemed to get darker by the minute - honestly thought it was about to pour with rain but it didn't.

Since there is no real storage in my flat some of my stuff is stored in the boot of my car.   However, tomorrow my car is in for a service and MOT.   They are collecting my car and should be back by 6.30.   Only downside is that they can only tell me that my car will be collected sometime between 7.30 and 11.00am so going to have to be up at what is, to me, the crack of dawn - not a morning person I'm afraid.   So early afternoon I emptied my boot and then sat outside reading for an hour or so in the sunshine. 

Spent most of the evening knitting and watching/listening to the tv.  Mainly house renovation programmes.   Updated my grocery order with ASDA for delivery on Friday.   That's about it really - hardly riveting stuff.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 September 20 03:06 BST (UK) »
posted twice so deleted second one.
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 September 20 03:12 BST (UK) »
I see you are all coping well.
Another death yesterday, a brother of death 2 weeks ago. Poor family 2 lost to Covid-19. N.Z now has 25 deaths. We are so lucky here as long as everyone follows the rules.
One of my computer drives is down so I can not log into the internet, so will not be posting much till fixed. The keypad on my phone is too small or my fingers are too big to be writing up posts.
Stay strong, stay safe.
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 September 20 08:29 BST (UK) »
Pansies might be my favourite flower Roobarb, and how lovely to be looking forward to a family visit at the w/e Caroline. The boot of my car is very small Annette, I can't imagine you could store very much in there?
How very sad that out of such a tiny mortality rate in NZ one family has suffered two deaths. The figures are looking grim in UK again, and Chris Whitty has apparently told the PM we should have another lock down for 2 weeks.

DIARY: Unusually, we had it really hot and without any wind down here yesterday, (but it is very grey today and surprisingly the water is WILD!!)
After an awful night, and no sleep, feeling SO hot and sore after my flu vaccination with the bacterial pneumonia thrown in as a bonus, :'( I went to visit my friend who had a stroke 8 weeks ago.  She is making great progress accessing words, which is marvellous.
Sat on the balcony reading for most of the afternoon, but wasn't able to stay awake during Repair Shop, so retired early, and slept much better.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 September 20 08:47 BST (UK) »
mowsehowse - kept in car boot: suitcase full of lots of odd things, bag containing curtains, further bag full of sundries for the car.   Plus a box of stuff that had come from my sisters garage during recent tidy up which had been residing on back seat of car as not sure where I can put the contents yet.  Both suitcase and box are heavy.

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 September 20 09:21 BST (UK) »
I do understand the problem Annette as I live in a tiny flat and am a hoarder..... not very good for your petrol consumption though.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.