Author Topic: Help deciphering parish marriage register  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering parish marriage register
« Reply #36 on: Friday 18 September 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
Possibility only
A James Doyle minor married Julia Ann Doyle minor in 1875, he was a Porter and his parents were John and Catherine.
Church record https://www.rootschat.com/links/01pw1/
Civil Record https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1875/11220/8112954.pdf (note his father was also a porter not a labourer)
Julia Ann died 1880
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1880/06460/4857358.pdf

Have you got James and Bridget in any census?

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 19 September 20 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I'll investigate that possible earlier marriage for James.

We have a possible 1862 marriage for Bridget at Mullingar (near where she was born at Rochfortbridge in 1842) to James Daly. But we couldn't find a death for James Daly there. And as you say, why was she called Bridget Brennan not Bridget Daly on both versions of her 1881 marriage and also the 3 May 1883 baptism of her daughter Anne at St Mary's (Pro-Cathedral), Dublin city. We only have the parochial register for the Daly-Brennan marriage, I will have to try to find the civil register to see if that tells us any more.

I'm not sure I know where to find census records for James or Bridget.

With your help we have made a lot of progress!

Geoff

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 19 September 20 00:25 BST (UK) »
They have a second daughter born Dec 1884 Bridget (Christina)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02659/1980328.pdf
Christina is on the baptisim

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 19 September 20 00:32 BST (UK) »
As far as I know only Anne Josephine was with them when they emigrated about 1889, so this Bridget Christina must have died as a child.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 19 September 20 01:42 BST (UK) »
I have some things to follow up from all this (after I have breakfast) but if James was married before, "bachelor" means nothing. So perhaps "spinster" means nothing for Bridget. And the records are dealing with her maiden name and ignoring previous married names.

James and Julia Ann allegedly had three children -- Mary (1877–) Katharine Frances (1878–1965) and James (1879–1880). Katherine was married in NY in 1895 so presumably emigrated with James, Bridget and Annie in 1889.

Thanks again for all your help.

Geoff

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 19 September 20 04:30 BST (UK) »
Of course the 1862 marriage at Mullingar is just before the 1864 start date for civil registration of RC marriages, so no luck there.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 19 September 20 07:14 BST (UK) »
I have found James Doyle on the "Furnessia" arriving New York on 5 Sep 1887. He is 31 -- about right -- and a porter. He seems to be by himself in Steerage III. It would make sense that he went ahead to establish things for the family. Then I found a Bridget Doyle on the "Britannic (1)" arriving 1 Jun 1888, age unknown, but she is a servant and in the aft steerage. But there is no sign of Annie, their surviving child. Nor is there any evidence of Katharine, the child of James Doyles' first marriage. When Annie died it was said she arrived in the US when she was 6, so 1889, and she married there in 1900. And there is a Katharine Doyle marrying in Manhattan in 1895 who others say is James' daughter. So if that is all correct, the girls must have got to the US by some other means.

I tried to follow up the Census idea but it seems there are only fragments before 1901, and of course James and Bridget and the family had migrated by then.

But thanks for all your help. We have got a lot further than we hoped!

Geoff.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 19 September 20 23:38 BST (UK) »
We have found the following summary in the Mullingar civil records, which might be the death Bridget's first husband: Name: James Daley Event Type: Death Event Date: 1868 Event Place: Mullingar, Ireland Registration Quarter and Year: 1868 Registration District: Mullingar Age: 29 Birth Year (Estimated): 1839 Volume Number: 8 Returns Page No 227. I don't know if it possible to access the actual record.

That would make him about three years older than Bridget and his death comes about six years after their marriage, also at Mullingar (for which only the parish record exists).

We haven't found his birth at Mullingar, which seemed the likely place to start looking.

If Bridget married James Daley in 1862 and was widowed in 1868, that would explain the comment about both spouses being married before in the parish record in 1881. It conflicts with "spinster" but we know James Doyle was not a "bachelor" either. I think in Australia she would have been Bridget Daley for her second marriage, but perhaps in Ireland in 1881 the practice was for widows to be married under their maiden name.

Geoff