Author Topic: Bonhams of Whitby, Sleights, Yorkshire  (Read 449 times)

Offline Wilder1987

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bonhams of Whitby, Sleights, Yorkshire
« on: Thursday 17 September 20 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am researching the Bonham family from Whitby, Sleights, Yorkshire and am looking to connect with anyone who may have information on the family or maybe you are from the family yourself!? The family resided at Partridge Nest farm in Whitby and while the majority of the family moved away there are still some in the area. I have been in touch with a few descendants but would appreciate any information that might be out there!

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: Bonhams of Whitby, Sleights, Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 September 20 11:10 BST (UK) »
As a general point Whitby and Sleights are in ("were in" for pedants) the North Riding of Yorkshire. Info can be found here.
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS

Perhaps the moderator would be so kind as to move the topic to the correct riding.

Partridge Nest Farm is still there - on the road between Eskdaleside and Grosmont.

What is the time period for your BONHAM family? It is not a name I have come across in Esk Dale as far as I can recall; despite having quite a lot of family there for several centuries.

PS - Would  I be right in thinking that your family derive from Edwin BONHAM who was an Ag Lab / Carter born about 1864 in Rowington Warwickshire and his wife Georgina M who was born about 1864 in Aston Warwickshire? They were still in the midlands in 1901.

Then it looks like the family moved north and Edwin was an Ironstone Miner in 1911.

PPS - yes I see that Edwin and Georgina emigrated to Canada in 1926 and their last address was given as Partridge Nest Farm. Edwin was calling himself a farmer. No children with them on that voyage.

Offline Wilder1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 September 20 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Spelk,
Thank you for clarifying the location of Whitby, Sleights. If the post can be moved it would be appreciated.
Yes, Edwin and Georgina Bonham were my great great grandparents. My maternal grandfather is James, the son of their daughter Florence who married Henry Dale before emigrating to Canada as well.
I am aware of a child born to Florence in 1920 who would have been my grandfather's eldest brother. With his 90th birthday coming up I hoped to gather some information for him and wondered if there was any information to be had on Francis Noble Bonham? I have been able to source information on Francis, or Frank as he was known, but it is all after his time in Whitby. Is there anyway to find information on Frank's adolescent years spent in Whitby? I understand he may have been raised by an Aunt after his mother's departure.
Thank you in advance. 

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 September 20 16:02 BST (UK) »
Sent you a personal message.
Best Phil.
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Offline Wilder1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 September 20 16:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Phil!

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 September 20 12:42 BST (UK) »
I tried to find stuff about Francis Noble BOMHAM born in 1920 but apart from the index to his birth I could find nothing. Also could not find any marriage of his mother Florrie to a Henry DALE.

Trees in Ancestry give the birth of the first child to Florrie and Henry as being in Glasgow so they may have been married in Scotland. A couple of trees have it that Henry DALE was born over in Lancashire as Henry IRELAND but I have not seen any justification for that and there is a Henry DALE born in Guisborough district who would fit the bill.

I notice that Georgina May has returned from Canada at some point and is living with her daughter Rose in 1939. Rose and her husband Wilfred PEARSON are buried in Aislaby churchyard. Georgina M BONHAM was buried at Eskdaleside with Ugglebarnby 14 Jan 1950 age 86.

Offline gogogadgetlegs

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Its Phil again,
Sent you another Personal message
Lincolnshire,   Andrew/s Jenkinson, 
Yorkshire,   Andrew/s, Watson, Norris, Simpson, Binnington, Willingham, Theakston, Kingdom, Brown, Fewson, Croforth, Boynton/Bointon, Jenkinson, Crawford/Croforth, Hessey, Harper, Mann, Worledge, Flatman.
Kent, Kingdom, Cosham,
Norfolk,   Worlidge, Flatman, Alden, West, Kett, Gathercole. Starkey
Suffolk,   Wallage, Worledge, Starkey
Nth Battleford, Canada, Worledge, Flatman
Devon, Kingdom, Sparkes Morrish, Rumley, Westcott, Pleace
o
Census Info Crown Copyrig

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 11:31 BST (UK) »
Wilder sent me a PM saying -
The information that has been passed down states that Henry was born Ireland and changed his name to Dale prior to marrying Florence as her last name was Dale rather than Ireland. I have not been able to support that theory by way of factual evidence nor have I found any record of marriage for Florence.

PMs can be useful for sending personal, possibly embarrassing info or stuff relating to people who may be living or copyright - but this information does not fit with any of that and I have no personal interest in this family. And if the info is of use it should be shared with others who may want to help. I am not a Private Researcher.

Wilder says the last name of Florence was DALE.
Freebmd has marriage q2 1886 Warwick 6d 831 - Edwin BONHAM & Georgiana Mary THOMAS.
GRO index for births -
Birth q3 1887 Clara Helen BONHAM mmn TOMMAS Solihull 6d 537
Birth q1 1890 Sydney BONHAM mmn THOMAS Meriden 6d 441
Birth q4 1892 Frances Jane BONHAM mmn TOMMAS Meriden 6d 445
Birth q2 1896 Edward BONHAM mmn TOMMAS Meriden 6d 451
Birth q3 1898 William Earnest BOMHAM mmn TOMMAS Silihull 6d 639
Birth q4 1900 Rose Elizabeth BONHAM mmn TOMMAS Silihull 6d 605
Birth q2 1903 Florence May BONHAM mmn TOMMAS Solihull 6d 648

So no sign of Florence being called DALE unless she got married or otherwise changed her name to DALE after the 1911 census and the birth of her illegitimate son Francis Noble BONHAM in 1920.

I would guess from his name that the father of Francis Noble BONHAM was probably called NOBLE and there is a NOBLE family who lived nearby with sons of the right sort of age.

The only item I can find about Florence in Newspapers is that in April 1901 three children of the BONHAM family sang at a concert in the Church House Eskdaleside - viz Willie, Florrie and Rose.
Sleights Sports Day May 1908 - Edward, Rose and Florrie BONHAM

Apart from asking for help in Scotland I can only suggest waiting for the 1921 census which is said to be available in January 1922.

Offline Wilder1987

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone who has offered information on this topic! I will branch out into a Scottish forum relating to the marriage of Florence Bonham and Henry Dale as their first son was born in Glasgow according to immigration records. I have not been able to find any proof of a marriage so far but do believe Henry Dale was previously Henry Ireland as there is a family heirloom which belonged to someone in the Ireland family.
My thoughts on a father for Francis Noble Bonham also lay in the Noble family but have tried to be sensitive to the matter and have appreciated the option of communicating with personal messages.