Author Topic: Looking for HOLMES information, and possibly SEAGO  (Read 2287 times)

Offline fzrkitten

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for HOLMES information, and possibly SEAGO
« on: Thursday 17 September 20 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am very grateful to have found this site, and read some of the posts on the HOLMES family. 
My Mum always told me that there was Romany down her dad's side of the family.  I have been looking for a long time as I feel I really need to know where I come from, and I have a huge interest in the Old Ways as it is.  My mum could read palms and tea leaves, although she only showed me once and it was hidden again (she was very accurate).  So I am looking for information going back from Arthur Harold HOLMES of Beccles, 19 May, 1905, (wife Muriel SEAGO 21 Jan 1908).  Children : Shirley (my mum), Nola E, & Derek, possibly one other.
His Father is Thomas William HOLMES, also Beccles, Print Compositor.  Wife Edith Emma HARVEY.

I am also interested in Muriel's side, as her father was Frederick John Flaaman SEAGO, an unusual name..  from Norfolk.  That is a brick wall after him.  His birth certificate also said flaxman apparantly.  He was a 'marine engine driver', and was employed on several small Minelayer ships, of which I know there were 5 at least.  His mother was Emily/Emma Seago, no named father but on his ship records says John.  Frederick married Jane YOUNGS, father Robert YOUNGS.

My dad's side are all Irish, Moran's and Burns/Byrnes... :)

If anyone can tell me where to look or knows anything I would love to hear.  Maybe the information will help someone else.

Offline DGambrell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for HOLMES information, and possibly SEAGO
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 00:00 BST (UK) »
I have Romani DNA and I have a direct ancestor from Epping Forest:

GEORGE HOLMES of Epping Forest
BIRTH 1568 • Nazeing, Epping Forest District, Essex, England
DEATH 08 SEP 1637 • Nazeing, Epping Forest District, Essex, England

This is the only ancestral line I've been able to trace to a community known to have Romany, so I'm trying to confirm whether the Holmes family from that area was actually Romany.  George Holmes married Elizabeth Rooke, and I'm from the branch descended from their daughter Elizabeth Holmes who migrated to America and married Edward RIGGS whose family was also from Epping Forest.

If anyone has any information on on the HOLMES and/or RIGGS families from Epping Forest, please let me know.  My Gedmatch kit # is RL048381C1

Thank,

Debbie Gambrell

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 11:01 BST (UK) »

I am also interested in Muriel's side, as her father was Frederick John Flaaman SEAGO, an unusual name..  from Norfolk.  That is a brick wall after him.  His birth certificate also said flaxman apparantly.  He was a 'marine engine driver', and was employed on several small Minelayer ships, of which I know there were 5 at least.  His mother was Emily/Emma Seago, no named father but on his ship records says John.  Frederick married Jane YOUNGS, father Robert YOUNGS.

There is this Geni profile for Frederick John Flaxman Seago?
https://www.geni.com/people/Frederick-Seago/6000000179598032461

In the Gro he was registered as Frederick John Flaxman Seago with a - where the mother's maiden name is normally placed.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 October 22 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)
I looked on My Heritage and have found the Holmes Family going back after William Thomas Holmes.
Here is what I found:

William Thomas Holmes Parents: Thomas Holmes (1852-1930) and Agnes (1849-1904)

William Thomas Holmes Siblings:
Edith Annie Holmes (1872-1963) married Neobard
Frederick Charles Holmes (1874-1958)
Agnes Eliza Holmes (1876-) married Cook
James Holmes (1877-1951)
Albert Edward Holmes (1879-1966)
Olive Alice Holmes (1882-1960) married Adams
Walter Reeve Holmes (1883-1883)
Harold Edwin Holmes (1885-1960)
Ellen B Holmes (1886-)
Lilian Rose Holmes (1888-1954) married Finch

Thomas Holmes (1852-1930) parents: James Botwright Holmes (1818-1871) and Maria Davy (1824-1910)

Thomas Holmes (1852-1930) siblings:
Rose Maria Holmes (1846-)
Emily Holmes (1848-)
John Holmes (1849-)
Mary Holmes (between 1857 and 1859)
James Holmes (1863-1948) quite a few pictures of James and his wife in Australia (where he moved to) can send another post with those pictures if you want.
Harold Edwin Holmes (1866-1948)

James Botwright Holmes Parents: Thomas Copping Holmes (1793-) and Mary.
Apparently James Botwright Holmes died on July 23rd 1871 in Oulton Suffolk and had a ''Poor Law Burial''.

Thomas Copping Holmes is the furthest I can see back on the Holmes side here is more information about Thomas: Christened April 3rd 1793 in Walpole, Suffolk and married Mary on the 7th Feb 1815 in Westhall, Suffolk. In 1851 he lived in Beccles, Suffolk.

Summary: Arthur Harold Holmes--> Thomas William Holmes --> Thomas Holmes --> James Botwright Holmes--> Thomas Copping Holmes--> Thomas Holmes-->

Just found a baptism record for Thomas Copping Holmes and it is under ''Non-Conformist Baptisms'', which is interesting.
His father is listed as ''Thos'' (Thomas) and mother Hannah.

From what I can see it seems like the Holmes' were mainly Grocers and Pork Butchers in the 1800s and then gradually became Tanners Carters and Printers and Tailors in the late 1800s.

Sorry if you already had all of this information, hopefully it helps in some way.  :)

edit: James Botwright Holmes' wife Maria Davy's father was called Barnabas Lee Davy which sounds quite interesting so there could be something going back on the Davy's side.

Offline curtainhooks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 October 22 14:50 BST (UK) »
The seago family looks quite confusing but I think that Emma Seago (1853-1890) is Frederick's mother and Frederick Flaxman is his father. Emma had Frederick whilst not married and so had to give her son her own surname but incorporated Frederick Flaxman's name into her sons. I am not sure why Frederick John Flaxman Seago lives with the Angel family since at least 5 years old, but it could be because Emma ''Emily'' Seago gave him up, due to not being able to look after him on her own. The Angel family could be friends of Emma's, and so she trusted them to raise her son?

Emma later on married a man called Alexander Ward in 1889 in Beccles, but she obviously died the next year.

I'm not sure if this is right, and it's possible that his Dad was called either John or Frederick but I found a Frederick Flaxman of about the right age living in Norfolk/Suffolk at the time.