Author Topic: Windows 10 problem  (Read 857 times)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 problem
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 September 20 11:28 BST (UK) »
I need to change from Windows 7 to Windows 10, dreading it to be honest, tried it out on my laptop but I don't like it, to old to make changes of a lifetime, well however long it is since  Windows 7 was in..

Louisa Maud

Windows 7 late 2009

Windows 8 2012

You are not the only one who cannot update.

My Windows 8 laptop gets most of the way through loading Windows 10 and fails.

The BIOS on my Laptop will not allow me to boot from anything other than the internal hard drive so I am stuck with Windows 8 but as I have had it since 2013 it owes me nothing.

My PC is now on Windows 10 despite it being 11 years old and upgrading it was straightforward.
Col
Lancashire:-Lamb, Gorst, Hardman, Threlfall, Lawson
Westmoreland/Cumberland:-Bush, Strickland, Chamber(s), Hedwen/Hadwin, Carleton
Monmouthshire:-Evans, Jones
Yorkshire:-Collins, Thompson, Darnborough, Drummer, Raistrick, Ewbank, Holdsworth, Clark
Herefordshire:-Ruck, Williams, Jones, Meadmore, Goode, Berrington.
Cheshire:-Ainsworth, Hayes, Norcot, Lowe, Duncalf, Lightfoot, Percival, Newton.
Ireland:-Brazell, Curwen/Curren/Curran/Corn
Canada:-Thompson, Sanderson, Hysop, Beaton, Staniforth

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 September 20 12:46 BST (UK) »
My Windows 8 laptop gets most of the way through loading Windows 10 and fails.

The BIOS on my Laptop will not allow me to boot from anything other than the internal hard drive so I am stuck with Windows 8 but as I have had it since 2013 it owes me nothing.

There are usually ways to get older hardware working with Win10. I only have one machine which can not be updated, because the processors, being so old, don't support some required instructions. Nearly all PCs from about 2003 (WinXP) onwards can be coaxed into running at least the 32-bit version, and most can cope with 64-bit.

When the Win10 installation fails, it should leave behind a log file which to someone with the right knowledge would explain why. It is likely to be a driver which is not handled properly in the Win10 environment. The usual way round this is to disable the device in the BIOS before re-running the upgrade, then using the driver from the older version. I deal with one laptop which worked perfectly with Win10 release 1803, but failed when updating to 1809. It turned out that Microsoft had decided that a newer version of one of the drivers was "better" - but obviously wasn't. In that case I could enforce a policy telling the update not to update that particular driver. The laptop has been through two further updates since, and is about to be hit by a third.

Your laptop OUGHT to be able to boot from places other than the hard drive. There will be a key to press when starting from cold which will get you to the BIOS's setup screens, where this can be adjusted. This is commonly one of Esc, F1, F2, F10 or F12. Google your machine model number with BIOS KEY and someone out there has probably explained it before.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 September 20 20:41 BST (UK) »
Andrew
Many thanks for the suggestions, I have tried everything I know of but nothing works.

I am familiar with BIOS but my Laptop’s only allows to boot from hard drive or from the optical.  I could put the extracted ISO Windows file on a DVD but cannot be bothered.  There is no way to set a USB memory stick as a boot device, yes it is odd but that is what it is.

Col
Yorkshire:-Collins, Thompson, Darnborough, Drummer, Raistrick, Ewbank, Holdsworth, Clark

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 September 20 15:31 BST (UK) »
To get USB booting working, you might have to tweak settings under "UEFI", which is the "secure boot" feature specifically to stop intruders accessing data from the HDD.

In your case, I'm not certain it will help. If Windows 10 has a so-called better version of a driver, that would be the only one available during a clean install, and so is likely to fail again.

That said, in my attempts to upgrade that laptop with such a driver problem, I had a go at a fresh install on a clean drive. It failed during "first boot".

I then put that clean drive in another machine which happily runs Win10, and did an install, letting it run as far as asking for country information. Clicking the power button did a clean shutdown.

Then I moved that drive back to the problem laptop. It ran through installing drivers, but then blue-screened. I let it reboot itself - twice.

On this attempt, Windows surprised me. It announced that it had detected a problem, and that could download a patch which might cure it. I let it proceed, and eventually got a desktop.

Device Manager then showed me the problem device, in this case the Ethernet port. Such ports are usually pretty well catered for, but in this case WiFi was working fine and wired connection not.

Knowing the problem area let me set the "no update" policy for the device on the original drive and so update with all settings intact.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 September 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks again Andrew, I will have a hunt in BIOS.

I was thinking of fitting an SSD to give the laptop a new least of life but the update issues put me off.

Appologies to Hepburn for slightly high jacking the thread
Col

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 September 20 13:34 BST (UK) »
No problem :)

I went to settings and changed my PIN when my daughter managed to get in.Apparantly the updates are wiping PIN's off the machines.There was quite a bit on different forums..Hope you get sorted..
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Has anyone seen Henry Atcherson Carson,born Canada 1844?

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 September 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
To go off topic again.

I have an old fashioned Address Book.

I use it to record PIN’s, Passwords, User Name and eMail address used on each Website where a Login is required.

I do not use the same login on all websites, each one is unique.

I also never login to WiFi in Cafe’s or Public Space WiFi.
Col

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 October 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
Updates are the chief suspect for a problem I have. Due to limited space I connected my printer to the computer by Wi-fi. Yesterday it stopped working. Can I get it back? No way yet. I have had to revert to a USB connection to the printer. Luckily I had a long enough cable.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)