Author Topic: Ashby Parva Village Hall  (Read 936 times)

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ashby Parva Village Hall
« on: Friday 18 September 20 20:08 BST (UK) »
Had a ride to Lutterworth, Ashby Parva, Dunton Bassett and returned home via Sutton Bassett today. Great to revive some memories of yesteryear when I visited these locations on a regular basis.

The reason for writing this help message is because Ashby Parva Village Hall was the location for a family wedding in 1946. Having visited there today I noticed this plaque directly above the front entrance door. It states The Old School was given to the people of Ashby Parva to use as their Village Hall 19th February 1968. This being the case it appears the present building was not the location of the 1946 wedding reception. My query is where was the original Village Hall in 1946?

Many thanks in advance Steve  ;)
Banbury and Hall families from Leicester 1850 to 1950.

Parfery or Parfrey family from Norfolk or Cambs 1800 to 1900.

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ashby Parva Village Hall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 September 20 10:09 BST (UK) »
Just a of question.

Where did you get the information about the wedding and when? It maybe that the school was used as a village hall as well

Regards

Jon

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 September 20 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon,

Thank you for taking the time to reply  ;)

It was a family wedding, the marriage took place at St Peters Church in Ashby Parva with the reception being held in the Village Hall. The information came from a relative several years ago who attended the ceremony.

So yesterday when I visited Ashby Parva and viewed the plaque it suddenly dawned on me that possibly the present Village Hall which was given to the people of Ashby Parva in 1968 might not actually be the Village Hall that was used as the venue for the wedding reception in 1946. Hence the reason for my post.

I hope this all makes sense.  ;)

Many thanks again Jon.

Regards Steve

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 07:29 BST (UK) »
Ashby Parva Village Hall has a facebook page - email them because someone there might know.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 08:04 BST (UK) »
Was it the Brookes/Preece marriage by any chance?

The Rugby Advertiser of 15 March 1946 reports that the reception took place in the schoolroom.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 08:13 BST (UK) »
Page 8 not Page 5 of the Advertiser.

Page 5 is just the announcement, page 8 has lots of details.

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 13:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much chempat and ShaunJ for your replies they are greatly appreciated  ;D

Will be sending an email off to the Village Hall.

Brookes/Preece was not the name of the couple involved. The wedding was actually a double wedding taking place in December 1946. I assumed any newspaper articles regarding this event would have been placed in The Leicester Mercury, this being the case I was hoping to visit the Records Office in Wigston when they re-open to carry out a Look Up. However if the Brookes/Preece marriage details are available in The Rugby Advertiser could you let me know the best way to access The Rugby Advertiser records please.  ;)

Many thanks for your interest in this thread

Steve

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
I was looking in the British Newspaper Database (also searchable via FindMyPast) for mentions of Ashby Parva in that era and most of the hits that came up were in the Rugby Advertiser. I didn't see any mention of a village hall back then: the schoolroom seems to have served that purpose.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Steve C

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 September 20 19:23 BST (UK) »
Many thanks ShaunJ for your continued interest in helping me with this thread.

I don`t have subscription to Find My Past but the local library does, will be ringing them in the morning to see if they are open for people to access their online computers. Haven`t been there since before lockdown in March so I don`t know what the procedure is at present.

After the reply I received from chempat I checked the Ashby Parva Village Hall website, this contains a link to their facebook page but unfortunately I don`t possess a Facebook account. The only email address on the Village Hall website is one for a knitting club, however, there is a telephone number for the Village Hall which I will try tomorrow.

Steve  ;)