Author Topic: Diary Friday 18th September  (Read 722 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary Friday 18th September
« on: Saturday 19 September 20 00:03 BST (UK) »
Will start the diary before I fall asleep, hope I don't cross with Caroline.

Woke up a bit earlier today and thought I'd get up, trying to get back into the habit of starting the day a bit earlier. Still felt tired, reckoned it would wear off, didn't make a cup of tea immediately, sat and read for about fifteen minutes. Was still feeling really tired so laid down, next thing it was an hour later, got up then.

Had decided to go to the beach today, low tide was about 11.30, set off a little after that. Lovely sunny day and pleasant out but took a jacket as I was pretty sure it would be cooler on the beach. I was right. The wind was against me although not strong , had to zip my jacket up but the beach was so lovely. The sand was smooth, the sea was calm and as I walked along I watched the gulls wheeling around and skittering in and out of the sea. They're starting to get their winter plumage now. Had a good walk along, there were a few dog walkers but not many as I got further along, it was so peaceful. Turned back at the outskirts of the next town, it was a little warmer with the wind behind me.

On my way home I called at the nurseries, I wasn't buying anything but I've been unable to find one of my credit cards, not my usual one  but wanted to make sure I hadn't used it and left it there the other day. I hadn't. I later found the receipt at home, it wasn't for the lost one. I've looked everywhere I can think of, bags, pockets, drawers - zilch.

Had a late lunch, had been intending to do some work in the garden but really couldn't be bothered to do anything, felt tired again. Pushed myself to empty the dishwasher and tidy round then went to lie on the bed and read, in fact I got under the duvet fully clothed. Was a bit concerned, the only time I do that normally is when I'm not well. Didn't feel that brilliant but didn't know if I was just tired. It's so easy to start panicking these days. Took my temperature even though I didn't feel hot, it was normal. Thought I might sleep at one point but didn't, felt a bit better after a while so got up.

Had some curry for tea as I only had to take a portion out of the freezer. Berries and yogurt to follow as usual. Watched some TV, can't properly concentrate on anything much lately.

Hope everyone is okay today. Actually it's now just turned Friday!

* Added - it hadn't just turned Friday, it had just turned Saturday! Shows how tired I was!  ::)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Friday 18th September
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 September 20 04:31 BST (UK) »
It is Friday here as well.
At 12.59pm on Monday 21st, we go back to our level one. This is as close to normal as you get in this pandemic. Unfortunately, I have just read that Boris is going to tighten your restrictions. He is preparing to replace the "rule of six" with tougher restrictions. He is considering his options. Hopefully, he is not too hard.

I see you are all preparing for your flu jabs. Being on the other side of the world I had my jab in March two days before lockdown. I arrived at the Doctor's and was asked to stay in my car until a nurse came and saw me. I had to give all my details which they recorded and told to wait until I was called in. The place was empty and so quiet you could hear a pin drop. I walked into the doctor's room where I was given my jab, it was then back out to my car to wait 20 mins before I could leave. Because we went into lockdown in Autumn we had very few people with the flu this year mainly because they were confined to home.
Not doing much today, just sitting in the lovely sunshine. The last few days we have had a very cold wind which meant staying inside was a good option.
Stay safe, stay well.
Carol
P.S Caroline tomatoes are $13 a kilo, about 26 pounds a kilo. I already have 3 plants in the ground.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 September 20 08:19 BST (UK) »
Well I was to tired to write last night so it’s now Saturday morning!
Tiredness seems to be creeping up on us all...
is it the thought of more restrictions being placed on us all.....
Or autumn coming along with the nights drawing in....
General feeling of weariness...
Any or all of these things make you feel tired...
Hope you’re feeling better today Roobarb.... it’s very frustrating when you loose a credit card and not sure where or when it went missing! Your walk along the beach sounds lovely and should be therapeutic!

Carol - thanks for the prices of tomatoes... that sounds pretty expensive! We’ve still got lots and enjoying finding different ways to cook them!
You’re just coming in to spring with the weather warming up while we’re now winding down into autumn.

My day
After a very late night on Thursday I wasn’t that keen to get up to early! Sadly when I got down in to the kitchen the Fairies hadn’t washed up all the glasses and odd things I don’t put in the dishwasher.... so they were done first...
After breakfast I read through our village plan and filled in the survey required with my views. We’re only a small village and have no amenities except the Church and our village hall so it’s hard to see how it could increase much more in size without any... already over the last couple of years there have been 7 new houses built or still in the process... not many more places they could stick more houses!
Went out to drop the survey in the bin left outside the village hall for them... then walked up the village to collect labels for the cakes for Cynthia Spencer Hospice I’ll be making on Sunday... had a chat with A about WI... not going to be holding any meetings hard to see how it’s going to continue really... she’s been president for last 4 years and really wants to step down... enthusiasm goes after a while!
OH was busy bread making when I returned... sat outside with a coffee and had a read for a while...
Didn’t have to wait for bread today as it’s being made in anticipation of family coming up... for the first time they sank! Beautifully puffed up after second prove but before going into the oven the puff went out of them... don’t know why as it was new yeast...
Didn’t feel like doing much so sat and read in the sunshine making the most of it..
Decided I ought to do some sewing and I was getting too hot outside anyway...
Had a call from a friend who lives up in the Lake District ....
Dinner was breaded pork cooked in the oven... breaded by me with mixture of herbs, parmesan, spices, pots & vegs... runner beans getting thin on the ground now.... courgettes almost at an end too... winter cabbage soon to be planted though and leeks looking great this year.
Watched some tv and an early night...
Looks likely the family won’t be coming up on Saturday to stay overnight  may come just for day on Sunday.... or not at all 😢. Eldest grandson T has got slight cough but not persistent and. runny nose... probably just a cold but daughter trying to see if she can get a test... disappointing if they can’t come but best be safe...
That was it for the day...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 September 20 09:02 BST (UK) »
Oh, what a blow for you Caroline, fingers crossed the little chap only has a normal coldy thing and they are able to visit even if they don't stop over.

Roobarb, how odd you felt so tired, but I wonder if napping puts you out of routine and causes your sleep cycles to shift? Good that you are keeping up the walks and I feel it will be important for you to use our daylight time making sure you do get out everyday.

Carol I am staggered NZ apparently doesn't grow tomatoes as standard, given the climate is similar to UK. Could that be a gap in the market for you to step in and become the NZ tomato tycoon??  :P

I went for a little jog along the front at sunrise yesterday. The tide was high and the sea was really wild. I was just like a big kid dodging the water crashing over the wall, and laughing like a loon. Then I had to brave the supermarket for the weekly grocery shop.  No more laughing!  That was it for excitement yesterday.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 September 20 09:08 BST (UK) »
We do grow tomatoes! But they are out of season at the moment, so Imported from Australia, or grown in greenhouse.

In our own garden we are just waiting to be sure there  are no more frosts before planting.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 September 20 09:11 BST (UK) »
We do grow tomatoes! But they are out of season at the moment, so Imported from Australia, or grown in greenhouse.

In our own garden we are just waiting to be sure there  are no more frosts before planting.

Oh, good. Thanks for sorting me out there...... Poly tunnel tycoon opportunity then? ;D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 September 20 11:33 BST (UK) »
With lockdown, the growers had to get rid of their fruit and veg as no bakeries, restaurants etc were open. To avoid more losses they did not plant as much during lockdown that is why prices are higher. The summer crops will be ready soon.
Carol

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 19 September 20 12:16 BST (UK) »
I am rubbish at prices, can't retain any of it in my head, but I suppose that has happened everywhere.
The knock on must be vast....

We had used longlife milk for years and years, but couldn't get any in the Spring, so we had to start using fresh milk again.  Finally we managed to get some longlife, (and we have some in the fridge,) but we have carried on using fresh.  A complete turn around on what had been normal for a couple of decades. (Not least because of the plastic waste.)

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 September 20 13:00 BST (UK) »
Just lost a massive post!!!
Can’t find it anywhere ,there are Gremlins in this iPad!
Or it could be me ( now you know where Flash Harry gets it from— “ Well it might have been me”)
I think ennui ( posh for boredom ) is to blame for tiredness and lack of enthusiasm , there seems no light at the end of the tunnel as yet, but scientists are working flat out and some very encouraging results  and  findings are happening.
The best case scenario is a vaccine ,so like flu  it will be preventable if not eradicated.
On Radio this morning  “ This is spread from person to person so we must keep distance between ourselves and others, there is no other way to contain it “. There should be posters all over the place to that effect.

Hope things are better with those a bit down, you try your best and yet figures rise, it is understandable  we get disheartened.

Hope all is well with the little boy,Caroline, I worry aboutFH, at school now.
He has poor immunity.
Was on 2000 units of antibiotics at two days old ,born with sepsis ,he had inhaled and swallowed meconium during a protracted labour .
Mum very tiny.
His parents battled it out , trying hard not to use antibiotics for the slightest things, hoping he would develop some immunity naturally.
Does seem better .

Tomatoes, I love them, but do you know they and bananas make my gout flare up.
Fylde ( Blackpool ) tomatoes were truly delicious ,can’t seem to get them now.You could eat them like apples .

Apples, just cooked some, for pies or apple cakes.Not made my mind up yet!
Given to me by a lady across the side lane ,her friend gave her too many .
They are having a virtual Harvest at her Church so she wants to photograph my apple tree  ( dwarf)  instead of actual fresh produce being donated.
So baking for distribution .

No plans fir today  other than a good tidy of lounge , then kitchen after baking.
Manana ( manyana), can’t do the thingy over the n to give the nya sound.
Tomorrow!
New paint coming Monday ,now the fiddle if returning the yellow peril.
Are you sure none of you want some mustard yellow paint named Magnolia.
I must check, you don’t think I got ?Mongolia by mistake!
I mentioned thst in a previous post but will check again.

Sorry about visits that can’t  go ahead, Life is going by quickly despite boredom etc, weeks seem short ,wonder why.

Got a brochure from our local holiday company ,only in this country ,a nice family firm .
Even if it was possible , masks to be worn throughout the journey to say
Bournemouth , toilet stops more frequent and at designated stops for sanitising , coach sanitised every day.
Only half the travellers so of course more expensive for those that do.
Tables at  hotel  spaced out and no evening gathering for that
convivial drink before bed.
Can’t be bothered.
But they are really trying ,and sad if they fold.

They do door to door pick ups and returns ,wonderful for oldies like myself.
Perhaps some day.

I think I will go for my walk now, thrm can work all afternoon ,baking and that tidy up!
No one is coming are they!
Cheerio ,thanks everyone for the news.

Do you know ladies ,you can strip to any music at all, we used to do it at college when changing for and dressing after PE .
The Hallelujah Chorus is good,and also for slow movements “Sheep May safety graze”.
We did not exactly expose skin, but acted daft with movements probably seen somewhere  or other !
The “dressing “ was funnier than the “stripping“.
Stockings then not tights!

On that note I will go for my walk. .
Cheerio, Hallelujah ,Hallelujah  ;D
Viktoria Rose Lee.