Author Topic: Resources for looking up members of orchestras  (Read 490 times)

Offline hllawson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Resources for looking up members of orchestras
« on: Saturday 19 September 20 00:33 BST (UK) »
Trying to verify a family story about my Great Grandfarther,Wilfred J Lawson. He was born 1896 in St Pancreas, London. Story passed down two generations is that he was "lead violinist" in one of the "royal philharmonic orchestras".

1939 census corroborates he was working as a violinist while living in Taunton Somerset after he had become estranged from his wife and my Grandfarther

I believe he was living in Southampton, Hampshire area around 1920.

Would greatly appreciate any information or advice on resources/datbases or ways to identify which orchestras he may have been etc.

Thanks in advance

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Resources for looking up members of orchestras
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 September 20 09:31 BST (UK) »
There are a few mentions of him in The Taunton Courier: 1937-8, as a violinist in local trios and a quartet; 1940 as leader of Deller's Dance Orchestra; 1941-2 leader/ conductor of Chas Huggett's Orchestra; 1942 leader of B Vennes Orchestra; 1945/6 Wilfred Lawson's Band/Orchestra.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hllawson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Resources for looking up members of orchestras
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 September 20 14:24 BST (UK) »
There are a few mentions of him in The Taunton Courier: 1937-8, as a violinist in local trios and a quartet; 1940 as leader of Deller's Dance Orchestra; 1941-2 leader/ conductor of Chas Huggett's Orchestra; 1942 leader of B Vennes Orchestra; 1945/6 Wilfred Lawson's Band/Orchestra.

Many thanks for this ShaunJ! I've not used the Newspaper archives much and now I've started looking, I've found hits for the 1920s also which fit with his residences. My great grandmother seems to have exaggerated some of his work, and her own! But I've found them both mentioned for a charity performance in shirely for the local church. Her singing and him on violin.