Author Topic: Bridge  (Read 1441 times)

Offline magicnanny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
Re: Bridge
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 September 20 21:00 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much for your information that's great everyone . Sorry but just did not think about putting a name just was thinking of bridge at the time . Yes BumbleB right on all counts well done this is the right man and his family . The paper did say it was Sir John Lister  Lister keys near Emley         ( John and family were living at upper lane Emley at his time of death ) but looks like it might be to difficult to find the actual bridge . thankyou once again .
Wilkinson.Crowther,Tootell, Manchester ,  McEwan Scotland.  Wymer, Fuller,Hudson,Norfolk  . Cheriton Australia.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 September 20 19:59 BST (UK) »
Added from  arthurk map link

See snippet of your map link (Follow the river )
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 September 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
Well done, dobfarm - always to be relied on  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 September 20 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi BumbleB

Yes! it looks like the Tramway crossing over the river Dearn (I've ringed it off in orange lines with a ? mark!! but is not marked as a bridge or viaduct or aqueduct on the map but is the only tramway.)

BUT! on further browsing google the ring lined  in blue and red with a ? mark where the tram way goes over the road could be called a bridge see link

https://www.aditnow.co.uk/Album/Historic-Photographs-Of-Parkmill_5219/

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline magicnanny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 September 20 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi fascinating thankyou very much dobfarm looked at the link too .  Have i got it right it was a tram line over the river and he must of crossed the tram line with his horse and cart ?As you can guess Im not from this area,would you know is it all still there do you know? thankyou so much for your help  I am so looking forward to my visit as I had been looking for this man now for years so it will be the icing on the cake as they say to visit the church and bridge if possible. John had been living at Upper lane Emley at the time of his death so hopefully not far from the bridge  .
Wilkinson.Crowther,Tootell, Manchester ,  McEwan Scotland.  Wymer, Fuller,Hudson,Norfolk  . Cheriton Australia.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 September 20 12:46 BST (UK) »
In answer to your question

The tramway crossed the river bridge and the road bridge = so could have been either- John's death certificate (Mentioned on this thread) may help identify the place of death.

The colliery and surrounding buildings, tramway and tramway road bridge in the link (My last posting) have all gone except the tramway river bridge that has been repaired as  part of ongoing building of new houses program  Frickley Mews bridge. See google maps link

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6011045,-1.6108305,19z

Offline magicnanny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Happy Days
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 September 20 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thankyou once again everyone I will be sending for the death ceft now hopefully it will show some more info .

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 00:46 BST (UK) »
The newspaper a week later reports on the inquest and states that it was Kaye’s colliery at Stocksmoor near Emley and witness stated that it was John’s job conduct wagons up and down an incline between Standcliff Wood and Little London. The witness was on the tramway about 600 to 700 yards from the stationary engine, he heard a shout and found John who said he had been caught by the wall and knocked of the waggon. The witness was a George Idle. There is more but just giving a precis.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 04:33 BST (UK) »
Thats put the ' spanner in the works' in park mill pit - thread theory-well and proper closed