Author Topic: Princess Mary Maternity Hospital..... sensitive subject!  (Read 3017 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Mary Maternity Hospital..... sensitive subject!
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 September 20 08:43 BST (UK) »
Justmej, you have probably done this already, but have you been able to search local cemetery records on microfilm at either the Newcastle City library or the archives?  Have you been able to check birth and death announcements in the newspapers on microfilm?

I agree with what Guy has said.  In my experience, - if you can - check things yourself, if you are told something is not there.  Then if you don't find something, ideally, check again a little while later.  We all are human and it is possible to miss something the first time on checking.  It doesn't happen often but I will own up to having occasionally missed something on the first time of checking for something.

Just a story from my own family history ..  My Dad's eldest sister was married twice and had no children .. or so we always thought.  When I got caught up with this family history thing and started researching, I discovered that she had had one son, born late in her life at Preston hospital, North Shields.  His name was Robert and he lived for 50 minutes.  His Whitley Bay burial entry records the word 'foot' which I assume means he is buried at the foot of someone else's grave.  His grave is unmarked.   I can't recall this ever having been mentioned and no one in my family today knew about him.  I think back in the day it must have been the done thing to never speak about such things again.  I am glad we can be much more open about things these days and it no longer seems such a taboo subject. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline justmej

• RootsChat Senior
  • 578 Squadron Memorial Balkholme East Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 September 20 12:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Guy and River Tyne Lass for your helpful information and suggestions.  I haven't searched the local records myself at Newcastle.  I will certainly look further into it.  I did think it rather odd when I was told there was a possibility it had not been recorded.  My mother, who was 8 at the time, has always been pretty sure he was buried in the local churchyard and has even pointed out an area there where she recalls visiting with her mother.  As other family members have been buried in this churchyard since, including his mother, it would be nice to know if he too is there.

Regards
justmej
Brumby and Cheeseman (Louth, Lincs)
Brumby, Clark, Smith & Young (Sunderland, Co.Durham)
Cowing, Foster, Hudspith, Kilgour, Patterson, Pattinson, Pringle & Robinson (Northumberland)
Douglas, Laurence, McQueen, Moffat & Pringle (Scotland)
Hall, Harding (Hollinside), Maugham/Maughan & McQueen (Whickham, Co.Durham)
Oliver & Stark (Co.Durham, Northumberland & Scotland)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 September 20 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi justjme
I was just wondering did you make your enquiries via the Church?  Or did someone offer to look up the record for you.  If the latter it might be possible they have inadvertently missed him in the records, perhaps.  It could be worth you checking again whenever the archives reopens.  Or possibly for a death notice at the Newcastle City library local studies when this reopens.  If a death notice exists it may record where the burial was.

I think at 13 days old he will have been recorded in a burial record somewhere in Newcastle.  Have you thought about which may have been the closest cemetery to the home address?  I am wondering if he may have gone from the hospital to a cemetery. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 September 20 21:03 BST (UK) »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1366962/How-heartbroken-couples-secret-graves-long-lost-stillborn-children.html

Regarding stillbirths ..  I have come across this very moving article which mentions GRO certificates for still births as KGarrad as already posted about.  Towards the  end of this article it is mentioned that stillbirths have been recorded since 1926 but that most people were unaware that this was officially documented.

Offline justmej

• RootsChat Senior
  • 578 Squadron Memorial Balkholme East Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 September 20 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi justjme
I was just wondering did you make your enquiries via the Church?  Or did someone offer to look up the record for you.  If the latter it might be possible they have inadvertently missed him in the records, perhaps.  It could be worth you checking again whenever the archives reopens.  Or possibly for a death notice at the Newcastle City library local studies when this reopens.  If a death notice exists it may record where the burial was.

I think at 13 days old he will have been recorded in a burial record somewhere in Newcastle.  Have you thought about which may have been the closest cemetery to the home address?  I am wondering if he may have gone from the hospital to a cemetery.

Hi River Tyne Lass

It's a few years ago that I contacted the village Church (which comes under Durham) and where the family lived at the time.  Someone got back to me and said there was no record.  As previously mentioned, I was told that it was possible it hadn't been recorded, especially if it had been a busy time.

Though his death was registered in Newcastle, my thoughts were, if he had been buried then it would have been somewhere nearest to the family home.  My mother is fairly sure this particular Churchyard is the correct one.  So I need to look further into it.

Thank you for your interest and help.

Regards
justmej
Brumby and Cheeseman (Louth, Lincs)
Brumby, Clark, Smith & Young (Sunderland, Co.Durham)
Cowing, Foster, Hudspith, Kilgour, Patterson, Pattinson, Pringle & Robinson (Northumberland)
Douglas, Laurence, McQueen, Moffat & Pringle (Scotland)
Hall, Harding (Hollinside), Maugham/Maughan & McQueen (Whickham, Co.Durham)
Oliver & Stark (Co.Durham, Northumberland & Scotland)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 07:34 BST (UK) »
One additional point I don't think has been mentioned is in the case of burials of stillborn babies and indeed new born babies it is possible they have not been named and are buried as stillborn or baby of mother's name or father's name, or even without mention of any name. It is possible that these entries may easily be overlooked when 3rd parties search for their burial.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.