Author Topic: J.T. Leonard - Date of death/Burial location?  (Read 323 times)

Offline SkoshiBee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
J.T. Leonard - Date of death/Burial location?
« on: Sunday 20 September 20 05:14 BST (UK) »
I'm having a difficult time locating a date of death or record of burial for my grandfather and I was hoping someone could help me out, please.

His name was John Thomas Leonard, but I believe he mostly went by the name Tom Leonard.  The birth date/location I currently have for him is 8 July 1891, in Salem, Lee County, Alabama USA.

I believe he passed away during the late 70s or early 80s, in either Pensacola, FL or maybe in Georgia or Alabama.

His parents were William Stevens Leonard (1870-1943) and Minnie Lee Atha (1872-1921).

Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me with this!

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: J.T. Leonard - Date of death/Burial location?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 September 20 10:35 BST (UK) »
Here is photo of headstone and family details of William Stevens Leonard ...

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/14339521/william-stevens-leonard

ADDED:

Ditto for Minnie Lee Leonard ...

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/14339510/minnie-lee-leonard
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 September 20 20:07 BST (UK) »
A tree at ancestry says John Thomas "Tom" Leonard had a daughter Mary Lee (Leonard) Breidenthal who died 6 March 1970 in Kingston, Plymouth County, Massachusetts.

Is that correct? If so, her obituary might say where her father was living at the time, which would might narrow down where to look for his death/obituary, assuming he didn't move again :)

(the owner of the tree is named Breidenthal also)

edited

Offline SkoshiBee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 00:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Priscilla! I appreciate the links to William and Minnie. 

It's strange, I can find information on John (Tom)'s parents, grandparents, etc. But I can't find much info on Tom himself, particularly on where he was interred. I know that he was still alive in the mid-70s in a nursing home in Pensacola, FL, but I can't find anything on when he passed away.

Thanks for your help with this!

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 00:58 BST (UK) »
At ancestry.com, the Florida death index goes up to 1998, the Georgia index goes to 1998, and the Alabama index goes to 1974.

I didn't find him in any of those locations. Maybe he died in Alabama after 1974.

Some suggestions: Do you know a likely place he would have died, maybe with a relative? If so, maybe a local library has the obituaries indexed. Or is there anyone you could ask? one of your cousins maybe?

Offline SkoshiBee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Oldohiohome,

Thanks very much for the information. I am aware of the Ancestry chart, and it is accurate, Mary Lee Leonard was Tom's daughter.

Unfortunately, her obituary doesn't contain any information about her father, so it wasn't of any help to me with tracking down info on Tom (John Thomas) Leonard.  I have found him listed in several censuses, (one of which seems to indicate that when Mary Lee was 18, she was living in John Thomas' brother's household--yes, it appears that he had a brother who was named Tom. Just to make things more complicated.

Also, thank you very much for the additional information about the FL/GA/AL death indices.

I know that in the mid-70s Tom (John Thomas) was a resident at a nursing home in Pensacola Florida. Unfortunately I don't know what happened after that--I am assuming that he probably passed away while in the nursing home, which would put his passing away in the late 70s or early 80s.  I don't think he had any remaining relatives by then, I know he was listed as widowed in the 1930 census.

Thank you very much for your help with this! I appreciate it.  I will keep digging for info on Tom, the elusive!