Author Topic: England - £10,000 fines for self-isolation breaches  (Read 4513 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: England - Covid: £10,000 fines for self-isolation breaches
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 18:20 BST (UK) »
I heard something very worrying today. My hairdresser came to me, I feel very safe with her as she also works in a care home two days a week, so has her temperature taken every time she goes in and is tested once a week. The care home has been covid free.

However, the owner of the group of homes did catch it in April, he is in his early 50s and apparently very over weight. He needed intensive care and ventilation - so did two other patients admitted at the same time. There was only one bed available! So the hospital staff had to do an assessment and as the youngest he was given the bed. Luckily after 10 days he recovered but doesn't know what happened to the other two. Let's hope the situation has improved if hospital admissions go up!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 20:13 BST (UK) »
Two words:

DOMINIC CUMMINGS

If Dominic Cummings jumped into a fire - would you?

Trying to cite an action taken by somebody else is no excuse -

and usually ended up by either me or one of my brothers facing the wall whilst we thought about how to answer the questions that usually started with "Why"; "Who"; "What";  "Where"  and "When" ::).

What on earth are you talking about? Jumping into what fire????  ??? Have you deliberately missed my point - that the government took no action action against Mr Cummings's (and other government officials) actions and therefore has no high horse to stand on nor justification for penalising anyone else for doing similarly. Or are you advocating 'do as I say, not as I do'?

At the time of DC's action there wasn't any law that would either fine him or take him to prison.

I don't think yhou've read my post in the manner in which it was intended.

I quoted my father's favourite saying of; "If X jumped into the fire would you"

I haven't been one of the sheep who followed DC's actions. 

As a matter of fact I think practically the whole of the portfolio MPs (who try very very hard) aren't up to their tasks and neither is the two faced person whose initials are DC
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 29 September 20 22:10 BST (UK) »
Two words:

DOMINIC CUMMINGS

If Dominic Cummings jumped into a fire - would you?

Trying to cite an action taken by somebody else is no excuse -

and usually ended up by either me or one of my brothers facing the wall whilst we thought about how to answer the questions that usually started with "Why"; "Who"; "What";  "Where"  and "When" ::).

What on earth are you talking about? Jumping into what fire????  ??? Have you deliberately missed my point - that the government took no action action against Mr Cummings's (and other government officials) actions and therefore has no high horse to stand on nor justification for penalising anyone else for doing similarly. Or are you advocating 'do as I say, not as I do'?

At the time of DC's action there wasn't any law that would either fine him or take him to prison.

I don't think yhou've read my post in the manner in which it was intended.

I quoted my father's favourite saying of; "If X jumped into the fire would you"

I haven't been one of the sheep who followed DC's actions. 

As a matter of fact I think practically the whole of the portfolio MPs (who try very very hard) aren't up to their tasks and neither is the two faced person whose initials are DC

Fair enough, then perhaps we agree to a certain extent, except I don't think anyone has sheepishly 'followed' DC's actions in that way. I don't think anyone would want to copy him and his pathetic excuses. If people are not following government rules it will either be because they've thought about it and reached that decision, or because they couldn't care less.

The point of my bringing his name into it  is that our government should lead by example and how can they expect us mere mortals to obey every edict they issue if they can't do so themselves.

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 09:51 BST (UK) »
It is a no win situation.

Token fines do not work.

I will generalise but with the majority of people born since 1960 there is a different set of Social Standards employed by them compared to my older generation, they seem very much self centred only on themselves, their close family and friends. 

Where is the respect for someone older than them that was instilled in us by our family and teachers?

It seems today that if your child does not have ADHD they are not normal, such is the rampant social problems with kids at school.

The world is doomed.

I think you are vastly underestimating the strength it takes to act respectfully towards those who regard us with such contempt.  But do you know what? The majority of us do, even though we know the person we are helping is disgusted by us.

I was born well after 1960, at least 90% of my colleagues were (I'm so self-centred I haven't asked their ages). A couple of my colleagues were born after 2000. Do you want to hear how self-centred they are? Possibly not, so many who've felt the need to tell me have made their minds up and aren't interested but I'll try anyway.

My colleagues are so selfish they turned up for work every day and worked their whole shift even before we had PPE delivered.

So selfish they they worked through their breaks and stayed late because people needed care.

So selfish that they bent over backwards so they could hold someone's hand to prevent them dying alone.

So selfish they came in for extra shifts, often at short notice, when their colleagues fell ill one by one.  The ones who became ill selfishly pushed themselves to come back to work as soon as no longer an infection risk even if physically not properly fit.

So self-centred the jumped straight back to caring for others (because it was needed) after participating in a filed CPR attempt on their own colleague.

Then when we had to isolate when my daughter was ill it was a selfish teenager whom I'd never met before that dropped bread and milk on our doorstep.

It's young people who've volunteered to act as welcomers and help manage the one way system.  They're not getting paid yet turn up every shift they have volunteered for despite being shouted at and even spat at by members of the public.

There are a lot of selfish people out there, people who cannot see the point of doing something for another person and I believe the media encourages this mentality. It is not a characteristic I can attribute to a particular age group.  For example, at the other end of the scale the person I know who self isolated by going to the corner shop instead of the supermarket (they were symptomatic) was born before 1950.  Yes, I'm aware that is only one example, and yes I can find examples of young people being selfish and rude but they are being that way because they are ignorant individuals not because they are under 60.

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you pharmaT for giving us a first hand account of what it is like to work on the frontline. Society can never repay you and your colleagues all over the Country for your dedication and care. Also those who volunteer and help even in a small way deserve our thanks too.

There will always be people in this world who are caring and those who couldn't give a damn. Age has nothing to do with it.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hello pharmaT and All
I'm sure Biggles50 was NOT referring to Medical Personnel like you.

However we do seem to have some in denial over the grave seriouness of this Covid-19, protesting for their Freedom and Liberty in London and many not even social distancing at their protest.
 -----------
One Scientist saying words to the effect this morning ... look the rate of infections are high because we are doing more testing (making excuses), but then having to admit the rate of increase of daily infections also prove our situation is worsening.
 -----------
The BBC has just announced One Welsh Hospital has 82 Covid cases and this is only September:-
All Operations cancelled and
A & E being diverted to three other Welsh hospitals -

If this BBC Report is true I don't need to say anything else as to the grave seriousness the inhabitants of England AND our NHS AND other Care Providers face this Winter, even getting everyday routine diagnostic medical assistance (Tests and Operations)?

Then there are the economic effects - lost Jobs and incomes people rely on to look after themselves and families.

Mark

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hello pharmaT and All
I'm sure Biggles50 was NOT referring to Medical Personnel like you.

However we do seem to have some in denial over the grave seriouness of this Covid-19, protesting for their Freedom and Liberty in London and many not even social distancing at their protest.
 -----------
One Scientist saying words to the effect this morning ... look the rate of infections are high because we are doing more testing (making excuses), but then having to admit the rate of increase of daily infections also prove our situation is worsening.
 -----------
The BBC has just announced One Welsh Hospital has 82 Covid cases and this is only September:-
All Operations cancelled and
A & E being diverted to three other Welsh hospitals -

If this BBC Report is true I don't need to say anything else as to the grave seriousness the inhabitants of England AND our NHS AND other Care Providers face this Winter, even getting everyday routine diagnostic medical assistance (Tests and Operations)?

Mark

I view "but I/they didn't mean you" as a standard offence to the ridiculousness of someone's statement being pointed out.  The fact is the vast majority of medical personnel were born after 1960.  If you re-read the latter part of my post you will find that I did say that there were many selfish people about it is just that it is not their age that makes them selfish but that they are a selfish individual.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: England - £10,000 fines for self-isolation breaches
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 11:09 BST (UK) »
And to add to that it's not just medical personnel is it? It's the supermarket staff who continued to go to work, many of them are under 60.

The teenagers volunteering to drop food for those isolating (as mentioned in my original post).

The young people volunteering in hospitals (also mentioned in previous post)

Food processing workers and transport workers who also kept working.

People under 60 who are caring for people in their own homes.

The teachers who are teaching in the schools, volunteered for keyworker schools when in tighter lockdown, created online learning, did welfare visits, made welfare phone calls to vlunerable families, bought supplies for vulnerable families, sometimes from their own money.

The volunteers at Samaratins, Childline, Rape Crisis, DOmestic Abuse hotline etc.  Some of them will be under 60.

Do the young people who've managed to keep up with their studies really have no sense of responsibilities.  Because I'm telling you many have produced a lot of work during lockdown and a proportion of those have done so despite barriers such as poor internet, no, or only obsolete devices

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: England - £10,000 fines for self-isolation breaches
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 30 September 20 11:54 BST (UK) »
I agree with you PharmaT. So often, there is condemnation of one specific group rather than an acceptance that sadly, all ages are capable of good/bad attitudes; kindness/unkindness; recklessness and safety.

Many of us here are very fortunate that we do not need to go out if we don’t want to do so. Others are working to keep life moving and often they are from the younger age group working in stressful situations.

There were many older participants in the recent Freedom protests that Mark refers to as in other demonstrations.

A little anecdote:
Yesterday, we had a most pleasant walk and stopped at a cafe for ice cream. There were clear ‘No Entry’ signs with arrows directing customers to the entrance to the one way safety system.  I was queuing for about 15 minutes and in that time at least three older people asked if they could ‘just join the queue’ via the no entry. Their faces said everything (one grumbled outright) when they were reminded by the young server that they would have to walk around.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk