Author Topic: England - £10,000 fines for self-isolation breaches  (Read 4470 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: England - £10,000 fines for self-isolation breaches
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 03 October 20 10:31 BST (UK) »
Too many people have lost loved ones, or have loved ones still ill waiting for treatment, or left with Covid complications, lost their jobs, or see their business going downhill and losing income.
 -----------
Reports are being investigated of offending.
 -----------
The figures vary on those failing to isolate with symptons.
Only 18% here ...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54320482

Mark

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 03 October 20 18:41 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if the "couldn't care less" attitude of a portion of society is that the old fashioned tightly knit family unit is a thing of the past.

It must be quite rare these days for couples with children to live in their childhood neighbourhood, as most have had to move away to find work.  Then a few decades ago we had one cabinet MP more or less sneering at young adults who lived with their parents and the end result was that it was the new "norm" not to help parents with mortgages/rent but to strike out on their own and hand over money to the new millionaire landlords.   

With the onset of technology we now have  youngsters of every age with their own mobile phones, i-pads, TV sets, computer games, etc.    Conversation at home is made with adolescent grunts and conversations with pals is via "shorthand" text.

With all this modern disconnect - there's no wonder a segment of society think they don't have to take responsibility for their actions and their actions have no consequences for other people. 
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 03 October 20 20:23 BST (UK) »

That just about describes the attitude of one of my offspring born 1965, who believes somebody that she describes as being a "paramedic". This person states a scam is being perpetrated and covid-19 is just a flu and there's no need to take extreme lockdown isolation precautions .   

This week's edition of "The Media Show", Wednesday 30th September, Radio 4 was about untruths, conspiracy theories, &c.
One interviewee was from Politifact, a U.S. fact-checking organisation https://www.politifact.com
(A British fact-checking site is Full Fact. It has a coronavirus section.  https://fullfact.org)
Another interviewee was Nancy Rosenblum, co-author of "A Lot of People Are Saying: The New Conspiracism and the Assault on Democracy". The book was published last year , pre-Covid-19, but arguments in it are relevant. There are some long reviews on LSE blog and on "Good Read" website. What the authors term "new conspiracism" differs from traditional conspiracy theories. New conspiracist authority relies on repetition of claims.
People can unwittingly go "down the rabbit-hole" and become lost in new conspiracism. An example given in the radio programme was an organisation which is apparently a pressure group about protecting children but which on closer inspection turns out to be a "rabbit-hole" to a "new conspiracist" recently banned from media platforms under a previous identity.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 03 October 20 21:36 BST (UK) »
Continuation of my reply 56.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-53997203

"Coronavirus: the viral rumours that were completely wrong"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-53640964

"Coronavirus: how to talk about conspiracy theories" Video.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-53395619
Last 2 are from BBC News anti-disinformation unit.
Cowban

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 04 October 20 12:26 BST (UK) »
Personally I believe the imposition of fines is pointless. A much better solution would be house arrest monitored by a fitted tag. If that was breached then 14 days solitary confinement on restricted diet ought to work. A group of welders from Doncaster have just received 14 days in the Isle of Man, there were mitigating circumstances in that they followed English restrictions which do not apply there, but the idea is sound
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 04 October 20 12:33 BST (UK) »
Personally I believe the imposition of fines is pointless. A much better solution would be house arrest monitored by a fitted tag. If that was breached then 14 days solitary confinement on restricted diet ought to work. A group of welders from Doncaster have just received 14 days in the Isle of Man, there were mitigating circumstances in that they followed English restrictions which do not apply there, but the idea is sound

Their company was told of the restrictions imposed on visiting key workers.
The guys themselves were given standard IOM Government instructions on the ferry trip.
They put these "on the dashboard" and didn't read them!

Then they decided to visit Tesco and McDonalds.

Not a lot of sympathy here on the island!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 04 October 20 12:38 BST (UK) »
Fair enough. As I said before I believe this to be more effective than fining people money they haven't got, or won't pay.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 04 October 20 13:32 BST (UK) »
I like your idea Redroger. My husband was voicing a similar "penalty" a few days ago as he feels that fines are useless. People will just not pay them.

No sympathy for the workers who breached IOM instructions. They got what they deserved.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 05 October 20 09:11 BST (UK) »
England Public Health

Seems some of these fines are Fixed Penalty Notices.
 ----------
https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q213.htm
 ----------
Security issues, has put Building Owners/Management in trouble.
 ----------
Won't pay or can't pay, probably not far behind the Isle of Man.