Author Topic: Birth certificate for 1926.  (Read 424 times)

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth certificate for 1926.
« on: Sunday 20 September 20 19:01 BST (UK) »
My sister-in-law was told by her Mother that her Father had been adopted, but not to tell him that she knew.
She has his date of birth, in 1926, and that is all.  She does not know who his parents were, where he was born, any brothers or sisters.  Nothing.
She also does not know if her Mother invented the story.
Her Mother was from Portadown, and they lived in Omagh.  Protestants.

I keep reading the Irish sites, and feeling stupid.  Can she get a birth certificate for 1926 without knowing any details other than exact date of birth, and quoting the name that he used?
Forgotten to ask if she knows where and when married, as also keen on a marriage certificate.

Any help gladly received, I feel so ignorant about (Northern) Irish records. Sorry.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificate for 1926.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 September 20 19:29 BST (UK) »

GRONI is the only repository for birth, death and marriage records in Northern Ireland, from 1st January 1922 onwards.

Births in Northern Ireland within the past 100 years, marriages within the past 75 and deaths within the past 50 aren’t searchable on-line. If you know all the key details e.g. exact date and place of birth, parent’s names etc, you can order a copy of a certificate from GRONI for £15. 

But if you don’t have all the information GRONI need, you can get in touch with them to have a search done. Note that due to COVID-19 restrictions, the public office remains closed, so you will need to ring or e-mail them.

Contact details for ringing or e-mailing GRONI:

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/contacts/contacts-az/general-register-office-northern-ireland

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth certificate for 1926.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 September 20 19:38 BST (UK) »
I thought I would have to contact them to get a search done as the details they require are what I want to know.
I have a day and month for the marriage, and can work out the year, but the place is not known, so need to see what happens with that.

As adoption was not legal in Ireland until 1929 (?) what are your thoughts on the birth certificate?