Author Topic: Get GRO Index Reference Number for birth on foreign army base  (Read 127 times)

Offline simonew

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Get GRO Index Reference Number for birth on foreign army base
« on: Sunday 20 September 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
I am trying to obtain a uk birth certificate for a birth that happened on an overseas army base.

I have found the the entry in the Gro Army Birth Indices (1881 To 1965) dataset  which has given me the following information..

When I try and order a birth certificate from GRO it asks me for the  index reference number, can I generate that witht he information I already hold from thei mage above?

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Get GRO Index Reference Number for birth on foreign army base
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 September 20 20:21 BST (UK) »
If you select the bottom option (in bold below) on the GRO site then that enables you to order the certificate with the information you have

Where was the event registered?
       England or Wales
       Another part of the United Kingdom or British Isles
       Outside the United Kingdom and registered by the British Forces, Consul or High Commission  (including Forces or Regimental records in the UK, Ireland or other British Isles between 1761-1924, see Overseas records GRO hold)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Get GRO Index Reference Number for birth on foreign army base
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 September 20 20:33 BST (UK) »
Are you using  the  correct application form? It is different from the usual one.

When you start the application, where it asks where the birth took place, make sure you click the outside the United Kingdom button, then the birth button and the one saying you know the reference, that will take you to the page for overseas births. Fill in the subjects details, then where it asks for the GRO Reference put in the station Rinteln, the number (2)  and the page 23.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.