Author Topic: Anker Theodor(e) Rasmussen  (Read 542 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anker Theodor(e) Rasmussen
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 September 20 22:56 BST (UK) »
When applying for his social security in 1947 he says he was born in Nebraska - same birth date 11 April 1882

It says Omaha, Nebraska, so I wonder if Aahus, Denmark was mistranscribed as Omaha, Nebraska.  It wouldn't be the weirdest mistranscription I've seen.
When Grandpa Soren immigrated 20 Feb 1888, the destination was Omaha NB contract # 9200. But Anker was born in Aarhus Denmark and in 1942 was self emp. in NY city age 60-would he not have his ss# way beofre then after working so many years in NY? My Question is- was alive in 1947.  He did have relatives in Chicago and an aunt in Omaha and cousin in Denver Col. Anker is a common Danish name, but to be born on the same date as our Anker is strange.

Social Security didn't exist until the 1930's, and, back then, people often didn't get a
Social Security number until they needed it.  Anker's claim was filed 14 Apr. 1947, so right after his 65th birthday.  Filing for retirement benefits may have been the first time he needed a Social Security number.  The Social Security number for that Anker was issued in New York, so that fits with your guy as well.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 September 20 22:59 BST (UK) »
The New York City death index has an Anker Rasmussen who died 24 Oct. 1951 in Manhattan at age 68.  The age isn't exact, but close.

Offline ankerpep_52

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 22:19 BST (UK) »
Amondg- Thank you so much for that information on SS #'s-which brings me to another querie-
  Did it give his residential address where living at that time?.  So good to know he was still alive then,
as I could not locate any information about him. Everyone has been of great help and I am very appreciative.  ankerpep_52.   Janet
BOKOTA-Hampshire & Surrey/ SI(Y)MONDS-Kent, Ldn PAPANICOLAOU-Hampshire /HARTLEY- Derby&Ldn/ SMITH-Ldn/ COLE-Hants & Ldn/ CREED-Berks, Ldn, Oxfordshire/ BRADLEY, DOCWRA & LAND- Islington &Kent/  HUMPHERSTON-Ldn./ ALLEN-Ldn & Surrey/ DOWNEY & DAVIDSON & FITCHARD-NBL & Durham, HARTLEY-Montreal QC Canada
RASMUSSEN-Storring Arhus,& SORENSEN,& JENSEN- Veng,& Hjelmslev, Skanderborg Denmark/HANSEN-Fejo,Fuglse,Maribo,DK

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 September 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
What's online doesn't give an address, but a copy of his original Social Security application can be ordered for a fee.  There's information on what would be on it and how to order it here - https://www.legalgenealogist.com/2018/12/14/ordering-the-ss-5-2018-style/